Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's perfectly justifiable in the mind of a leftist to destroy the property of someone who they perceive as conservative... particularly if said property happens to have any sort of perceived conservative sociopolitical message printed on it. I had a friend who went out and got a "Recall Walker" bumper sticker for his car (with military plates) so it wouldn't be keyed or damaged by college liberals when he parked on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    He said he would smash her laptop. Not her face. If I said, "If this dick clicks his pen one more time, I am going to break it." What would be the difference? Should I be expelled?
    Kind of glossing over the fact that he punched her in the chest and/or pushed her by the throat, aren't ya?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    But really? Battery? He shoved her.
    Yeah, that's battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    America.

We punish our guilty, not hold their hand and say "There there, you are not at fault, [Abstract Reason] made you do it."
    Cool, so when a 12 year old does the exact same thing on the play ground, how would you handle it?

Schools I attended would bring them to the councilor and have them talk it out. This should be handled no different. Schools are there to teach, not punish. There is a lesson these two can learn here, and a great opportunity for the school to teach that lesson.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Assaulting someone based on the candidate they support is wrong. But I really don't see how this is newsworthy. At all.
    Yeah I enjoyed the line about "sweeping it under the rug".... as opposed to just giving it the attention it deserves, i.e. not a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Don't know if anyone saw this or posted on this but I think this is a relevant discussion. Here is a link to the story:

http://heavy.com/news/2016/02/cliffo...eaction-names/

Basically, Guy at St. John's University snapped a pic of someone in one of his classes and posted a tweet saying, "7000 retweets and I smash this bitches computer". The computer had a "Trump: Make America Great Again" sticker on it.

Over the course of several hours, the post went viral, getting well over 7,000 shares and the woman was made aware of the post. She asked him to take it down, words were exchanged, a coffee or tea was thrown, she got punched in the chest/shoved in the neck.

It appears St. John's is attempting to sweep it under the rug. A post was made by friends of the person doing the original tweet that he got off with a warning. The person who made the original tweet has had his account suspended by Twitter. A lot of screenshots are still floating around of everything he said on Twitter.

First off, I personally think this kid needs a semester off at minimum. Even if you let them both off with a warning for the physical altercation with the coffee/tea and shoving (because, lets be honest, when you throw a beverage at someone, you're not blameless), this guy should not have snapped her pic in class then posted it with a threat online. I pulled up the code of conduct where I went to school and it is something that would be a somewhat lengthy process through a review board but I am fairly confident in saying that he would be forced to take the remaining of the semester off and have to write an apology letter. If he didn't do those things, he wouldn't be allowed back.
    Fuck the school get the police involved... that's assault plain and simple.

If you have the freedom of speech to express support of an idiot like trump.

Then someone else has the right to take a picture of it (not you) in that public place and berate you for it.

But lets say for a second she did have her picture taken. If your rights are violated you don't solve it by violating their rights.

Over opinionated SJWs in an old fashioned throw down... nothing to see here... the cat fight will end soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    It's perfectly justifiable in the mind of a leftist to destroy the property of someone who they perceive as conservative... particularly if said property happens to have any sort of perceived conservative sociopolitical message printed on it. I had a friend who went out and got a "Recall Walker" bumper sticker for his car (with military plates) so it wouldn't be keyed or damaged by college liberals when he parked on campus.
    Can we just dispense with the notion that just because one person on the left or the right did something shitty...that all people on the same side are guilty of that same behaviour?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Kind of glossing over the fact that he punched her in the chest and/or pushed her by the throat, aren't ya?
    Sure, she also threw coffee or tea at him. The series of events are in question, so I don't want to address potential truths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Fuck the school get the police involved... that's assault plain and simple.

If you have the freedom of speech to express support of an idiot like trump.

Then someone else has the right to take a picture of it (not you) in that public place and berate you for it.

But lets say for a second she did have her picture taken. If your rights are violated you don't solve it by violating their rights.

Over opinionated SJWs in an old fashioned throw down... nothing to see here... the cat fight will end soon.
    Again, it wasn't a public place. St. Johns is a private Catholic University .

He said he would smash her laptop. Not her face. If I said, "If this dick clicks his pen one more time, I am going to break it." What would be the difference? Should I be expelled?
    If you are in a private school in a classroom I suspect the teacher should immediatly kick your ass right out of class at a minimum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Can we just dispense with the notion that just because one person on the left or the right did something shitty...that all people on the same side are guilty of that same behaviour?
    You take your sense-making and blow it out your ass! /s

Deleted
    Basically, Guy at St. John's University snapped a pic of someone in one of his classes and posted a tweet saying, "7000 retweets and I smash this bitches computer". The computer had a "Trump: Make America Great Again" sticker on it.

Over the course of several hours, the post went viral, getting well over 7,000 shares and the woman was made aware of the post. She asked him to take it down, words were exchanged, a coffee or tea was thrown, she got punched in the chest/shoved in the neck..
    All is great in SJW land -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    I do agree it's not completely clear. Judging by the threats he was posting I think it's pretty clear that he instigated the ordeal however. And if someone is insulting you and baiting you into a response, sometimes the other person will do something like throw a drink. Let's not pretend that this doesn't happen. No physical struggle happens out of the blue, words lead up to it.
    I agree, it does happen and will always happen until the end of time I reckon but an argument is still not grounds for assault. Doesn't matter who "started" the confrontation, so long as its verbal both people are just being dumb, once somebody puts hands on the other then all bets are off.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Snapping the picture of a person (with that person being the focus of the picture) and putting it online without getting consent is a crime.
    WTF? No it's not. The incident took place in a location where ther was no expectation of privacy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Again, it wasn't a public place. St. Johns is a private Catholic University .
    Clearly you don't understand what a public place actually is.
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

Sure, she also threw coffee or tea at him. The series of events are in question, so I don't want to address potential truths.
    The point is it went beyond the threat of smashing the laptop. Regardless of who started what...it ended up in a physical altercation.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are in a private school in a classroom I suspect the teacher should immediatly kick your ass right out of class at a minimum.
    Absolutely, but that doesn't exactly solve anything. If anything, if the person being kicked out is already irritated or acting aggressively, you would want to defuse the situation, rather than potentially escalating it. She should have brought both of the students to the school counselor to have them both remediated.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2527304

Not sure how accurate it is, but the NY Daily News is reporting that she threw the drink first.

7+ Year Old Account
    Cool, so when a 12 year old does the exact same thing on the play ground, how would you handle it?

Schools I attended would bring them to the councilor and have them talk it out. This should be handled no different. Schools are there to teach, not punish. There is a lesson these two can learn here, and a great opportunity for the school to teach that lesson.
    Difference is A: they are adults.

Also, the school can punish them as they see fit.

Your line of reasoning is rather simplistic. "Oh they are just misbehaving, try and talk to them."

After a certain age, that kind of shit doesn't work. What world do you live in?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Absolutely agree. Regardless of the sticker, there is absolutely no reason for threats and assault just because you don't agree with someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Difference is A: they are adults.

Also, the school can punish them as they see fit.

Your line of reasoning is rather simplistic. "Oh they are just misbehaving, try and talk to them."

After a certain age, that kind of shit doesn't work. What world do you live in?
    but it totally does. I was a peer mediator and peer mentor in both highschool and in college. It definitely can work.