Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Officer Peter Liang found guilty in Manslaughter case

I'm not sure how I feel about this case in general:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0c3c55050bb49

He has been found guilty; however, there was negligence on all sides. Why were rookies only in the building? Where were their superiors making sure they did everything right? The officer should indeed be punished for this; however, there are so many cases of officers doing much worse that magically get off free. I do wonder if the fact he's Asian at all played a part in his conviction. Or if perhaps finally; at least in New York City, officers will be held to a proper standard as they always should have been.

New York City police Officer Peter Liang was convicted of manslaughter Thursday in the 2014 shooting death of an unarmed black man in a darkened Brooklyn public housing project stairwell.

Liang's single gunshot killed Akai Gurley, 28, who was walking down the stairs on Nov. 20, 2014.

NYPD said after the jury's verdict that Liang had been fired from the department. He faces up to 15 years in prison when he is sentenced on April 14.
    Little background, the officers were patrolling the stairwell, the elevator either wasn't working or was too slow and the victim was coming down the stairs. The officer fired a shot that ricocheted hitting and killing the victim who was above.

seems like whole lot of bad training caused this. finger on trigger, neither of them knew first aid which seems like BS cause thats something that gets drilled into you during training.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this case in general:

I do wonder if the fact he's Asian at all played a part in his conviction.
    If only the cop had been white, then it would have been so much easier for you to decide who was in the wrong, as you wouldn't have to decide between different minorities.

Wiki, so grain of salt:
    The 28-year-old, unarmed Akai Gurley was visiting his girlfriend and getting his hair braided before Thanksgiving. He entered the stairwell about a flight below Officers Shaun Landau and Peter Liang, who were patrolling the pitch-dark stairwell with no lights. According to the prosecutors, Officer Liang, who is left-handed, pulled out his flashlight with his right hand and unholstered his 9mm Glock with his left. He then shoved open the stairwell door with his right shoulder, turned left to face the seventh-floor landing, where Gurley had just entered. It appeared neither side knew the other was there and no words were exchanged, according to authorities.[17] After being startled, Liang's gun accidentally discharged as he opened the door and the bullet ricocheted off the wall and struck Gurley once in the chest, who later died at the hospital.[1][2] It is reported that Gurley actually ran after hearing the gunshot, and didn’t realize that he was bleeding until collapsing on the fifth floor.[2]
    I'd have a hard time coming up with the version of this where Liang isn't guilty of manslaughter. An innocent man is dead because Liang's a cowardly fuckup that was unfit for the job.

1 down; over 1000 a year to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhdurr View Post
    1 down; over 1000 a year to go?
    Not really, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    If only the cop had been white, then it would have been so much easier for you to decide who was in the wrong, as you wouldn't have to decide between different minorities.
    Your comment is stupid since my very first issue is the fact there were no superiors and just rookies which is a huge problem by itself. Many cops get off doing worse but this one cop who happens to be Asian and has done something that in the scope of most of these cases is minor and truly accidental is going to be thrown in jail.

There is proven bias when it comes to convictions and sentences concerning race so your comment's foolishness can only be saved If you provide a non existent study that says racial bias in convictions and sentencing doesn't exist.

Instead of trying to argue against my point you instead try to say racist despite a comment that says nothing of the sort. Pathetic.

If the officer was white then I would have said there was still negligence idk how I feel about a possible fifteen year sentence when he's a poorly trained rookie who should have had superiors with him.
    Last edited by Themius; 2016-02-13 at 12:30 AM.

Many cops get off doing worse but this one cop who happens to be Asian and has done something that in the scope of most of these cases is minor and truly accidental is going to be thrown in jail.
    The vast majority of LEO killings of civilians at least include a claim that it's in self defense. This one's basically just a cop fucking up and killing a guy. It's sort of like Tamir Rice from a fuckuppery standpoint, but at least that cop did have some basis for thinking there was a threat. I don't think you'll find many cases that are similar to this.
    There is proven bias when it comes to convictions and sentences concerning race so your comment's foolishness can only be saved If you provide a non existent study that says racial bias in convictions and sentencing doesn't exist.
    Of Asian-Americans? As far as I know, there's been basically no work done on the criminal justice system's interactions with Asian-Americans. There's not really much of a sample size to work off of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your comment is stupid since my very first issue is the fact there were no superiors and just rookies which is a huge problem by itself. Many cops get off doing worse but this one cop who happens to be Asian and has done something that in the scope of most of these cases is minor and truly accidental is going to be thrown in jail.

Instead of trying to argue against my point you instead try to say racist despite a comment that says nothing of the sort. Pathetic.

If the officer was white then I would have said there was still negligence idk how I feel about a possible fifteen year sentence when he's a poorly trained rookie who should have had superiors with him.
    Of course you aren't a racist, I'm sure some of your best friends are white

As far as I can tell, Asian-Americans make up just under 5% of the overall population, but only 1.5% of the prison population, which doesn't show any obvious bias against Asian-Americans.

So can you back up your claim of "...proven bias when it comes to convictions and sentences concerning race..." in respect of Asian-Americans?

7+ Year Old Account
    Good. Cops should be afraid that if they make even ONE mistake, their fascist dbaggery will be punished.

I've made it no secret it I am back in school finishing a criminal justice degree. I don't plan on being a cop (in the classic sense), I'm looking at US Marshal Services or DHS primarily, but shit like this is why I take training courses from former LEO and Military on my own dime on my own time outside of a typical teaching institution or POST certification.

Of course you aren't a racist, I'm sure some of your best friends are white

As far as I can tell, Asian-Americans make up just under 5% of the overall population, but only 1.5% of the prison population, which doesn't show any obvious bias against Asian-Americans.

So can you back up your claim of "...proven bias when it comes to convictions and sentences concerning race..." in respect of Asian-Americans?
    I don't know why you even think i wouldn't be giving the same argument minus mentioning his race if he were white. I didn't know any of the races of the officers involved until today and when I first heard the story thought well they're all rookies where was their superior.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Wiki, so grain of salt:

I'd have a hard time coming up with the version of this where Liang isn't guilty of manslaughter. An innocent man is dead because Liang's a cowardly fuckup that was unfit for the job.
    I understand that he is dead because of this, but Liang shouldn't be thrown in jail for much time based off that account. 15 years is the maximum which I hope he doesn't get because that would just be ridiculous. I have always believed a person's life shouldn't be thrown away or severely impeded because they made a mistake, even if it is a grave one.

He was poorly trained, an issue that is apparent throughout police departments across the country. Where was his superior?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why you even think i wouldn't be giving the same argument minus mentioning his race if he were white. I didn't know any of the races of the officers involved until today and when I first heard the story thought well they're all rookies where was their superior.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I've made it no secret it I am back in school finishing a criminal justice degree. I don't plan on being a cop (in the classic sense), I'm looking at US Marshal Services or DHS primarily, but shit like this is why I take training courses from former LEO and Military on my own dime on my own time outside of a typical teaching institution or POST certification.
    I've never had a POST training that said trigger on the finger. Its always been finger off the trigger unless you're preparing to shoot. I feel bad for the guy, from what I read he shot richotted and hit the guy. But his unjustified mistake cost someone his life and should be held accountable. His finger had no business being on the trigger. As for the other points the OP made, rookies being partners isn't uncommon (once they finish training). How many officers did you expect in the building? it was a simple patrol. Cops in many jurisdictions don't have partners so only 2 is better than some.

mic drop...boooooom!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

This story must be really hard for SJW outrage. How do you know where to point it? You got a black guy, a cop, an Asian, and a union. The only real hope is to judge the matter on it's facts and merit. LOL jk...

Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    I've never had a POST training that said trigger on the finger. Its always been finger off the trigger unless you're preparing to shoot. I feel bad for the guy, from what I read he shot richotted and hit the guy. But his unjustified mistake cost someone his life and should be held accountable. His finger had no business being on the trigger. As for the other points the OP made, rookies being partners isn't uncommon (once they finish training). How many officers did you expect in the building? it was a simple patrol. Cops in many jurisdictions don't have partners so only 2 is better than some.
    I'm not saying police training is just pure crap, just that weapon training should be a lot more involved than it probably is.

Both of us know a majority of cops do their required weapons qualifications once or twice a year (or whatever the minimum requirement is) on paper targets and call it a day.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-02-13 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    mic drop...boooooom!
    Consider my main argument is that they were rookies in the building with no superiors which is a big mistake. And then the fact that it was truly an accident, consider the ricochet. I knew about the case for months, I only knew the race for a day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    This story must be really hard for SJW outrage. How do you know where to point it? You got a black guy, a cop, an Asian, and a union. The only real hope is to judge the matter on it's facts and merit. LOL jk...
    SJW's don't exist. It's some made up internet hoo haa conservatives made up so they can bitch at more things after they've run out of things to bitch about.

The problem here is lack of training and no superiors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Consider my main argument is that they were rookies in the building with no superiors which is a big mistake. And then the fact that it was truly an accident, consider the ricochet. I knew about the case for months, I only knew the race for a day.
    And I was picking you up on saying, "I do wonder if the fact he's Asian at all played a part in his conviction", which is you thinking everything is racism as usual.

Maybe I'll get an answer, third time's a charm.

And I was picking you up on saying, "I do wonder if the fact he's Asian at all played a part in his conviction", which is you thinking everything is racism as usual.

Maybe I'll get an answer, third time's a charm.
    You think I'm the only one who thought that? Plenty of people found it odd considering how accidental this was and how other cases that are worse tend to have people getting off.

There isn't much studying concerning Asians, my comment was we know of bias concerning race, which we do. I said provide something that says there isn't.