Really looking for some advice on whether my Au Ra should start in Ul'dah or in Limsa

This will probably sound stupid, but as someone who struggles with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, I spend a lot of time trying to create a "perfect character" when it comes to RPG's. I absolutely adore FFXIV, but ever since Heavensward came out, I've found myself unable to play the game, because I simply can't choose what Job or City-State really "fits" the Xaela.

See; even though you can use a Fantasia potion to change your Race and Appearance, and you can change you Job at will, those initial choices are permanently recorded. Every time you use a Fantasia, it shows your *ORIGINAL* Job, and your character's "City-State" is visible on the character-sheet and never changes. Hell, even Grand Company impacts your story slightly, and is permanently recorded in your Unending Journal (cutscene viewer).

Now, my intention is eventually to have a Xaela Dark Knight. However, the character still needs to *START* as something else, and choosing where to start and as what is hugely important to me.

In the case of Ul'dah, it's clearly the most important location in 2.0 through 2.55. As well, if you pledge yourself completely to Ul'dah, it makes sense why you are forced to flee to Ishgard, whereas someone loyal to the Maelstrom doesn't really have as strong a need to wander north. As well, Heavensward seems to borrow a lot of inspiration from FFIV, along with the Baron Helm, Crown, and Earrings, and the transition from Paladin to Dark Knight seems pretty organic, given what all occurs in 2.55.

At the same time, Limsa Lominsa is welcoming is all shapes and sizes, and seemed far more eager to help the Domans than anyone else (even if the Admiral couldn't do so directly). The people there seem more "rugged" in general, as do their tradeskills. Ul'dah, on the other hand, has Goldsmithing as its most popular trade. Given that the Xaela are supposed to be these nomadic, tribal warriors, I wonder sometimes where or not Ul'dah is a good fit, or a poor one.

I know it probably seems stupid to most of you all, but I would genuinely appreciate any feedback on this!

Ul'dah also has the gladatorial arena. It's not all goldsmithing and the rich life. Perhaps your Xaela drifted there in order to earn a living as a fighter, giving you the excuse to start as a Gladiator. Ul'dah's seedy underbelly attracts all sorts of strangers looking to make a fortune.

Alternatively, perhaps as a Maraudar, you were one of the fighters protecting the refugee ships from pirate attacks, giving you a natural affinity with Limsa Lominsa.

Truthfully, I think it's less important for the Au Ra. No matter what, you're not a "native" of your starting city like the other races. It's merely the first city in the new land where you spent significant time.

Well, since the Domans sought refuge in Ul'dah I'd say that's your best choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say go gladiator/paladin if you want the descending to darkness from light route marauder/warrior if you want the pursuit of greater power one

You eventually need a 24 glad if you plan to do any late gane stuff though

Yeah, I'm not too worried about having to level up the Gladiator anyways, since to be honest, I intend to play all of the Jobs up a bit anyways, just to be able to fill multiple roles.

Still, it's a hard choice to make, I think. Given virtually nothing is known about the Xaela, save for a few vague descriptions. Both choices kind of make sense, and yet in other ways, both have certain holes (since, as stated, Au Ra really aren't "canon" until much later in the story). I suppose you can make out that you're one of the first Au Ra to have struck out to find a new home, even if your initial interactions with Lady Yugiri are a bit strange.

I suppose I should also add that, whichever Job/City-State I start with, I will probably also choose the corresponding Grand Company. So if I go Gladiator from Ul'dah, I would join the Immortal Flames, and the Maelstrom if I go the other route.

Taking that into consideration... Does that change anything? Both Grand Companies have nice looking armor that I think would "fit" an Au Ra quite well. Although, Maelstrom colors maybe match the Xaela's horns and scales a bit closer?

Honestly, like I said, I'm just kind of desperate for you guys' input. OCD absolutely sucks, and I just won't be able to commit to a character until I feel like I've made a "right" decision.

The decision itself doesn't matter for anything meaningful later. But for the purpose of personal rp story of your character which can be important to some,

Limsa, Yugiri was there introducing the rogues guild but that is about it. nothing really major ties Au'ra there. It is not a city well know for refuges so the only tie i see is her.

Uldah, while Yugiri isn't specifically tied to it, its story is heavily tied with the large amount of refuges that live in and around it. A place that is could easily account for the stray au'ra before the large influx of immigrant au'ra showing up in heavensward.

Personally, I would go with being an uldah refuge living on the outskirts and in the alleys. Living is such conditions honed you initial skills as a fighter until you were picked up by the gladiator guild, or pugilists who were impressed by your base talent and saw you could grow into much more.

As for grand company, as a refuge, you dont really have a deep connection with the land you are in, so grand company makes sense to be left to choice, which is good because pvp is determined by gc and because of complete queue domination by some, you want freedom of choice there. If you don't pvp there really isnt anything tangible to push you one way or the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Each grand company stands for different things or rather the nation's

Limsa is about freedom

And uldah power and money

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Given virtually nothing is known about the Xaela, save for a few vague descriptions.
    This may or may not be of use to you, but the Xaela naming convention section of the Race Naming Convention thread on the official forums offers a peek into the 51 tribes of the Xaela, each with a brief description of the what makes that particular tribe unique compared to others. That might help in deciding which starting area better fits, if you know a bit more about the culture they came from.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...ng-Conventions

Well, don't suppose anyone else would want to lend their opinion?

Deleted
    Limsa Lominsa. While Au Ra first turn up in Thanalan, there's no reason why they wouldn't spread out amongst the allied cities should they find their preference being to Forests or Plainsland over the rough Desert that's already suffering with refugees. Not only is it the most aesthetically pleasing land in my opinion, but it's a fantastic introduction with a more "Wow, look how giant this place is" feel without being too cramped or overly large.

As for lore, of course a Lominsan would flee. Limsa Lominsa, Gridania and Ul'dah form a strong alliance, especially against the empire. With what happened, lore-wise neither Gridania or Limsa Lominsa would allow you to wander free. Nonetheless, as a Scion, your city becomes more of an origin. You protect all of Eorzea. just Ul'dah is the place with most focus.