Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I don't like the idea of Mark of Aluneth either, but I don't think it's quite right to call it another Rune of Power. It sounds like it's a lot closer to a tiny, backwards Flamestrike in execution.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I found today: If more than 1 arcane mage is specced into erosion only the 1st one to cast will apply the debuff and respectfuly benefit from it. The funny thing is that the other or others that are casting will build up your erosion with each cast, but still you will be the only one benefiting while they won't be. [Tested]

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Mark of Aluneth isn't bad design in my opinion. At 8 seconds duration, if you honestly think you can't find an 8 second window in group play where you can place it effectively, the problem isn't with the spell, but with the player. The call for having it as a debuff is just people wanting another spell they click once the cooldown comes up with little thought. Not to mention, I'd find it more infuriating putting it on one target and having them die and losing the debuff for the rest of the AoE pack. Seeing as the stacking damage debuff it puts on the targets, its a two-fold spell, it provides a solid ranged burst AoE, and also an awesome debuff that increases your damage, for a little bit over 8 seconds, and a lot for 8 seconds afterwards.

Its a unique spell, AoE DoT that slows with a massive AoE explosion, all the while buffing your damage during and after. It has power for both AoE and solo fights. I'd rather see its power stay as is and require the small amount of planning it requires. And people are already saying get rid of it? All because they don't think a mob will stand in it for 8 seconds. So far I've had one rare dash out of it. With it I've been able to pull multiple targets and pull off some awesome AoE. Something Arcane has lacked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mark of Aluneth is OK, PC was OK. What is not OK is randomness like Touch of the Magi. Mark of Aluneth you can control, if you can't right now you will learn, Touch of the Magi you cannot control and things you cannot control are bad.

I'm admittedly having a hard time picturing it. Is 5 yards large enough to use Mark of Aluneth as a proper AoE spell? All I'm imagining is that even if enemies are tanked together, some might still end up out of range due to the way that melee groups tend to form a semi-circle around the tank.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelovV View Post
    Mark of Aluneth is OK, PC was OK. What is not OK is randomness like Touch of the Magi. Mark of Aluneth you can control, if you can't right now you will learn, Touch of the Magi you cannot control and things you cannot control are bad.
    I know what you mean, but one proc every 20-30sec is quite solid with 12s duration (=40-60% uptime), isn't it? I know, RNG has pros & cons, but do we have to have control over every ability we have?

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I found today: If more than 1 arcane mage is specced into erosion only the 1st one to cast will apply the debuff and respectfuly benefit from it. The funny thing is that the other or others that are casting will build up your erosion with each cast, but still you will be the only one benefiting while they won't be. [Tested]
    Error in the coding typical for alpha/beta. Just make sure that you're the first one until it's fixed.

As for Touch, I also agree that it's not bad for it to be out of our control. However, it will present an issue when it procs on mobs which die too fast - yes, it will explode anyway, but it will be a proc moderately wasted. And on mobs that become immune at some point. But this is all a common part of gameplay and looking at the big picture shouldn't present too much of an issue.
    My magic will tear you apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post
    I think it was removed, I'm not seeing it anywhere. But I think it's because of Mark of Aluneth doing damage based on our maximum mana. Might get a little crazy with mastery + 300% increased mana pool.
    Yes it was removed. In fact I made a short summary of the changes that the arcane mages have suffered in the last version of the alpha:

(I have not included other skills that have suffered minor changes, such as name changes, pure figures or descriptions wording)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaikiii View Post
    I know what you mean, but one proc every 20-30sec is quite solid with 12s duration (=40-60% uptime), isn't it? I know, RNG has pros & cons, but do we have to have control over every ability we have?
    What bothers me is that this high proc chance is for testing purposes and it will get reworked (TotM is like a mini legendary ring and the ring has a 2 min CD) And at the end we will be in the same situation we are in right now, just check simcraft singletarget: minimum dmg 114k, median 150k, max 240k. This is huge difference you cannot see in any other spec simulation.

Edit: Thinking about it now TotM is like PC. A PC that is a debuff, lasts 3 seconds longer, deals 3% more dmg... and is uncontrolable
    Last edited by AngelovV; 2016-02-14 at 05:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I think I solved the issue of the Everywhere At Once numbers and having potentially negative cooldown on blink. The description says reduces cooldown by 3 seconds. I've been putting my points into it and chose a frost artifact that gives it a rank, and I thought it was just bugged (stayed 15 seconds). I just noticed when finishing the ranks that I was blinking further, checked the tooltip, yup. Each rank increases the distance of blink by 3 yards (not reduces cooldown by 3 seconds like it says).

Its likely that is what the trait will be, and they just forgot to change the text.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that is both unfortunate and reasonable. Having Blink on such a small cooldown (even if it were 2 seconds per rank instead of 3) would have been insanely powerful for too many reasons. However, now this can turn into a problem of a different type - sometimes you just don't want to blink that far. 24 yards instead of 15 yards is a lot.

However, it won't really affect much in reality. Typically Blink distances in raids are just about that or even further. It will be of some use in PvP for pillars, flag carrying and stuff and it's not too powerful, but not too weak either. My personal problem is that I will now have to find a different spot from where I blink to my preferred mailbox. (edit: I reported what you found over to altered-time and credited you)
    Last edited by Shangalar; 2016-02-14 at 06:18 PM.
    My magic will tear you apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only that, but you'll have to figure out how far away 5 blinks is from the mailbox so you can pop displacement to get there!

Btw base blink is 20 yards, it'll be 20/23/26/30 yards for 0-3 and then you can put 3 relics in for an extra 3/6/10 yards. So Blink could travel as far as 40 yards (though unlikely you'll put any relics into blink distance)
    Last edited by Ryken; 2016-02-14 at 06:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryken View Post
    Each rank increases the distance of blink by 3 yards
    I doubt if that's a change for the better or for the worse ... (by the way, the name of the trait must be changed xd)

The same happens when the radius of [Arcane Explosion] is increased by talents/traits... There comes a time when it is harmful for our interests.

It's a buff to Displacement!

Deleted
    Look at it like this. The conserve phases are going to be very boring and linear if there's no procs during it. With these procs, we will be having mini burn phases, making it a bit more interesting, imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryken View Post
    Well I think I solved the issue of the Everywhere At Once numbers and having potentially negative cooldown on blink. The description says reduces cooldown by 3 seconds. I've been putting my points into it and chose a frost artifact that gives it a rank, and I thought it was just bugged (stayed 15 seconds). I just noticed when finishing the ranks that I was blinking further, checked the tooltip, yup. Each rank increases the distance of blink by 3 yards (not reduces cooldown by 3 seconds like it says).

Its likely that is what the trait will be, and they just forgot to change the text.
    Reasonable, yes, but it makes me a tiny bit sad. A ~10 second CD would've been so awesome. In other words, up to 200 yards with displacement... How long is warsong gulch again?

Quote Originally Posted by GriepenTN View Post
    Look at it like this. The conserve phases are going to be very boring and linear if there's no procs during it. With these procs, we will be having mini burn phases, making it a bit more interesting, imo.
    I hadn't thought about it that way, that's a pretty interesting consideration.
    Depends on the proc rate though of course.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I hadn't thought about it that way, that's a pretty interesting consideration.
    Depends on the proc rate though of course.
    Yeah. From the testing I have done, and some simple theorycrafting, you will most likely, after your first evocation, conserve neutrally until you get TotM procs / trinket procs, and then do a mini burn, and just make sure that you reach 0% mana when evocation comes off cooldown. I think it's going to be really nice, personally.

Deleted
    Is there any streamer that can actually play mage, that I could watch some past broadcasts of?

I feel like last time I read about Force Bolt (Aluneth's passive) the part that says "This damage is increased the longer Force Bolt is not triggered." completely passed me by, perhaps it was listed by WoWhead but not MMO Champion?
    That does something to quiet any fears we might have had about the staff passive only being useful during a conserve phase anyway. While you are burning, and not generating charges, it simply builds in power until you clear them and start generating again.