10+ Year Old Account

Moving Both Drives to SSD

Hey guys,

I have a 180gb SSD as my primary drive that Windows is installed on. Every single game, my documents, downloads, pictures, videos - everything - is stored on a 1TB platter drive (F). I'm going to upgrade both drives.

I've selected the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (link) as my primary and the Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (link) as my data drive.

My goal is to easily move everything from my current drives to these drives with the least chance of lost information or the need to re-download nearly 900gb of video games. The problem is two-fold: it's been a very long time since I've actually upgraded drives, much less reinstalled Windows. By long time, I mean about 4 years or more. Two, I have no idea how to reinstall - if it came to that - Windows 10 without downgrading first to 8.1 from my company's MSDN license. Since I telecommute full time, it's legal for me to install it.

So, fellow computer people, what would be the easiest way to transfer my current primary hard drive's contents to a new drive without losing anything? The secondary is easy enough - just have both drives plugged in, move everything over, rename new SSD drive after disconnecting the platter drive, toss platter drive in the trash! But I'm stumped on transferring Windows. Alternately, I could just install a new copy of Windows, fresh, install Steam, Battle.net, and a few other programs, but it would impact my work for a day, which probably wouldn't go over well. I would have to get my PBX password from the CEO again, and no one wants to pester their CEO.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-02-13 at 07:24 PM.

You can tell the Steam and Battle.net clients where the game (libraries) are located, if you want to reinstall Windows.

Don't Samsung drives include some kind of data transfer tool?

10+ Year Old Account
    I ended up canceling the order and going out to Micro Center. I picked up a 2TB Samsung 850 EVO and a 980 GTX. A few hours later and my system was imaged, disks replaced, all games & data moved, and I'm playing Dying Light maxed out @ 60fps. Today is a good day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't even realize there were 2TB SSD's out that weren't PCI-E multi-unit deals.

Personally, while it's nice to see them getting bigger, I probably would have just opted for two 500gb's, or the 1TB + 500. After 500gb, the price point goes in the opposite direction of trends.

But hey, if you can afford it, roll it.

Also, that drive will last long enough to pass on to your great grandkids.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Don't Samsung drives include some kind of data transfer tool?
    Yes,
    It's very simple to use, I've used it on multiple machines. It's never failed; forcing me to reinstall windows. My current evo setup is OS+DATA on 1TB, Games on 500GB with Rapid.

transferring, get more sata3 interface/power cables and set them to transfer. I don't recall if you can do both at the same time, I've only ever done 1 at a time.
    AB350 Gaming 3 | Ryzen 1600X | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz @ 2933mhz | .5 & 1TB 840 evo, .5TB 850 evo | EVGA GTX 1080 ti FTW3 | Dell S2716DG | EVGA 1000 G2 | NH-D15 SE-AM4 | Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Silent