Why RPPM is bugged on the pull (And why I hate talking openers)

Hail, fellow friends that get angry at bad PoF procs.

I get a lot of questions asking why I never discuss or investigate openers, and the reason has always been "RPPM formulas are bullshit". Sometimes people ask what I mean by that, but it's really hard to explain because RPPM is complicated. It also didn't help that even though we knew that things were wrong, we didn't know exactly how and why.

Last month, a bunch of us from Altered Time and SimulationCraft finally put our heads together to help pinpoint the problem. I've compiled all that info into a giant wall-o-text, posted on Altered Time. The link is https://altered-time.com/forum/viewt...t=2347&p=21081 . If you're into in-depth theorycrafting, or want to know the reason behind why Prismatic Crystal/Unstable Magic are applying Mark of Doom, or why our numbers are completely through the roof right now, or just all the stupidity we had to go through (73 Marrowgar resets in one sitting...) just to test this crap, take a look - And maybe join in on the discussion!
    Last edited by Komman; 2016-02-14 at 06:52 PM.

this is for arcane only PoF ... spriest and other classes have other (higher) chance to proc

base proc chance for PoF (0.9RPPM) on arcane mage is 1.5% (yes 1.5% with every spell, AM 5 times 1.5% ;) ) (for 1.5RPPM proc chance is 2.5%)
    and because we have UPS (unlucky prevention system) or USP (unlucky streak prevention) who cares >..<".

... on pull if you have less than 120 sec of your last hit you will get 120 sec UPS/USP for free on RPPM trinkets so your chance for activate that trinket (0.9RPPM) is now 42.75% ... to get 100% you will have to w8 177 sec (some ppl calculate it for 1% proc chance and it is 226sec but real proc chance for trinket is 1.5% not 1% ;) )...

thats why ppl pull on PC3 to get (100% from 177sec) debuff on crystal and get another debuff on boss (42.75% 120sec) after some sec (3-10sec) when boss is pulled :O

so RPPM is not broken or bugged ^_^
    Last edited by Nehem; 2016-02-14 at 04:22 PM.

Did you even read the post he linked? Or did you justread the title and decide to make yourself look stupid.
    Last edited by Frost1129; 2016-02-14 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    Did you even read the post he linked? Or did you justread the title and decide to make yourself look stupid.
    yes I'm stupid live with that

10+ Year Old Account
    @Nehem - Celestalon already replied immediately today commenting that this is indeed a bug with their calculations and it will be fixed and changed in Legion.
    My magic will tear you apart.

Deleted
    So you're the reason why they plan to nerf it into the ground in 7.0, as if it wasn't already bad enough. Arcane would be unviable and useless if RPPM worked the way they proposed (0/0 instead of 120/10). :\

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Kilnmaster View Post
    So you're the reason why they plan to nerf it into the ground in 7.0, as if it wasn't already bad enough. Arcane would be unviable and useless if RPPM worked the way they proposed (0/0 instead of 120/10). :\
    No...just...no. I see it more as fixing the problem at hand so things should work as they were originally intended.
    Last edited by Rage128; 2016-02-17 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Kilnmaster View Post
    They also said they're changing trinkets to accomodate the changes (making on use stronger, rppm stronger etc)

Its called bug fixes.

Eh, I remember when chance to proc trinkets just weren't worth it compared to the controllable on-use trinkets. Reason for bringing this up is that I've been really appreciating the flurry of activation that occurs during the first 10secs of combat (usually that is - sometimes it's a bit of an annoyance :P) rather than relying on hope and prayer that shit will work out to optimize your dmg.

But that was many moons ago. Hopefully this will just be the last(ish) fix they need to do to make sure on-proc trinkets work and aren't either shit-tier or god-tier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    "Idiocracy" becoming reality in the US, "Planet of the Apes" becoming a reality in Europe.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can't really say I like the change Celestalon suggested with trinkets being random on pull again.. I remember it being a pain in the ... when I was just waiting for crit and intellect procs before popping alter time in ToT.. Thankfully, we don't have that annoying ability anymore in our dps rotation, but they really have to find a way to make sure that trinket procs in the opening aren't going to "make or break" our dps during openers. One could argue that you should just take a on-use trinket instead, but they aren't always easy to get when you compete with 5 other casters for that one BIS trinket.
    Last edited by Atherius; 2016-02-18 at 11:47 PM.

Deleted
    RPPM trinkets and generally relying on RNG to get good DPS is bad and blizzard should feel bad. Instead of fixing the bug they should just remove them altogether.