Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Will Muslim/Arab/North African Migrants and Refugees ever Assimilate 100%?

I've been seeing a comparison on how Jews assimilated into Europe with how Muslim immigrants should assimilate and although their are obvious cultural difference between the various Jewish and Islamic cultures. I like to have faith that muslim assimilation into Europe and America will eventually take place.

What do you think in this matter? Is eventual Arab/Muslim integration similar to Jewish and Indian peoples into European/American countries inevitable many years in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I've been seeing a comparison on how Jews assimilated into Europe with how Muslim immigrants should assimilate and although their are obvious cultural difference between the various Jewish and Islamic cultures. I like to have faith that muslim assimilation into Europe and America will eventually take place.

What do you think in this matter? Is eventual Arab/Muslim integration similar to Jewish and Indian peoples into European/American countries inevitable many years in the future?
    It depends on how fast they are willing to let go of their traditions in religion and cultural. Its possible, but honestly i do not think it will happen. These refugees tend to make GoP members seem liberal.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

I don't see why not honestly. All sorts of people have immigrated to the US as an example and have fully assimilated over time.

It's not something that happens over night. I don't know if say the first generation of immigrants ever fully fit in, but as time goes by their kids, and their kids, so and so forth, all adapt.

What does assimilate look like to you? Europe will be a little more brown and a little more muslimy when this all shakes out no matter what happens.

The culture difference is just too large from what I've seen so I doubt it. Perhaps many generations down the line but even that is just a maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    I don't see why not honestly. All sorts of people have immigrated to the US as an example and have fully assimilated over time.

It's not something that happens over night. I don't know if say the first generation of immigrants ever fully fit in, but as time goes by their kids, and their kids, so and so forth, all adapt.
    Basically, unless its actively fought against assimilation is a given. Social creatures will integrate into societies.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is 100% assimilation anyway?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that's a question that can be answered with the information we have. There are significant cultural differences. It depends partly on how people treat them in their host countries and partly on how willing they are to see a different perspective, and probably also partly on how many of them there are (after a certain point you can have clades form, and these are like bacterial biofilms - very resistant to outside influence).

I would say yes. Eventually. But you'll still have low socioeconomic holdouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    What does assimilate look like to you? Europe will be a little more brown and a little more muslimy when this all shakes out no matter what happens.
    Well I predict it will work like how Jews changed America and the UK. Mostly assimilating, but introducing some cultural influences such as names or acknowledgment of certain celebrations/customs.

Deleted
    No because they don't want to.

The racism in Europe is honestly sounding worse than here in the Southern US at this point. It's essentially "be like us or get out" with violence being brought to those that stay. Would be nice if those intolerant people were deported to the countries the refugees came from.

Well I predict it will work like how Jews changed America and the UK. Mostly assimilating, but introducing some cultural influences such as names or acknowledgment of certain celebrations/customs.
    Yeah that's basically my expectation given historical immigration trends. You'll have more minarets and falafel but things will be pretty much the same.

My concern is that some people seem to view assimilation as "indistinguishable from the native culture" and I don't think that's either reasonable or desirable.

Hopefully we can do w/o that camel piss drinking custom...hopefully...ah hell ive drank Canadian beer before..could it be worse?
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

If they were Chaldean they'd assimilate just fine, as Christianized Arabs they already have many of the same values as Western society. But they're not so no.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

In the United states its possible same with Canada but in places like Germany and Sweden? No, They have no balls. They need stricter immigration policies and need to stop bending over to those immigrants.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what 100% assimilation entails tbh. I don't think it's reasonable to have someone give up everything from their original culture but they should still respect the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    If they were Chaldean they'd assimilate just fine, as Christianized Arabs they already have many of the same values as Western society. But they're not so no.
    Christians in the Middle East ain't exactly a liberal bunch either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilde View Post
    The racism in Europe is honestly sounding worse than here in the Southern US at this point. It's essentially "be like us or get out" with violence being brought to those that stay. Would be nice if those intolerant people were deported to the countries the refugees came from.
    Well the problem with muslims not "be like us" is that their values and completely in conflict with western values. They just dont fit in western culture at all. Think of westerners going to Saudi Arabia and going about as if they were still in a western country, probly would end up being beheaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Not sure what 100% assimilation entails tbh. I don't think it's reasonable to have someone give up everything from their original culture but they should still respect the new one.
    This might be true as well. Has any group of immigrants completely assimilated?
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I think the most reasonable goal is "functions happily and productively in the native society at a population level".