Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    one problem i see cropping up with this is the parents who are so fixated not pushing a gender role that they actually push there kids away from stuff they do want because the parents assume they are only interested in it out of societal pressure. i knew a couple that wouldn't let there little girl play with dolls because they assumed she just wanted to do it for gender norms rather then because she just wanted to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by p291u View Post
    There is so much crap in this it's unreal. Women put time and energy into makeup and jewelry because they are beautifying themselves for mating purposes. This accentuates features that males use to determine fertility and health for mating purposes. Even if they don't consciously realize this, it's what they are doing and the amount of time and effort invested in beautification even varies with ovulation, increasing investment when she's fertile. Our entire species is based around sex, so much of who we are and how we behave has to do with sex. Men also have their burden too, they spend a lot more time and energy investing in their social status which is what women also look for when it comes to finding a mate with a better ability to provide. That's simply biology.
    The use of makeup is not a biological imperative, the desire to appear attractive is but both genders feel that desire. How a person makes themselves appear attractive to the opposite sex changes (quite drastically) as society changes. Now it is attractive for women to get tans, but a hundred years ago or so women powdered their faces to appear paler. These are not natural urges but pressures put on them by what society says the opposite sex desires. As for things that accentuate feminine beauty HA! The curves of a woman (especially the lower) has changed in what is to be expected multiple times in history and throughout cultures. A hundred years ago women bought devices to flatten their behinds, nowadays they buy devices to expand it. Female fashion has changed so much and so frequently over human history it is hardly the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    But still won't let boys wearing dresses.
    I would not have a problem with a boy wearing a dress (actually until a hundred years ago or so boys under a certain age generally did wear dresses), but sometimes you have to step away from your ideals and think of what is best for the child. The world isn't ready for boys wearing dresses and me complaining about how that isn't fair wont change that, nor will my son wearing a dress. I also believe people should be able to get tattoos on their foreheads even if they are obscene, but I wouldn't let a child (regardless of gender) carve a swatstika on their forehead. The issue is permanent harm. It causes no permanent harm for a girl to wear pants and play baseball, it can cause permanent harm (unfortunately) for a boy to be found by other boys playing with dolls wearing a dress.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need"
    ~Vernon Howard

"The truly rich are those who enjoy what they have"
    ~Yiddish Proverb

I find it unbelievably hilarious and hypocritical for anyone to claim that not forcing your child to adhere to binary gender roles is somehow wrong because it's "forcing your ideology" on the child, when the overwhelming majority of parents very literally force their political, soxial, and religious ideologies on their children and are given a free pass because the bullshit they spout happens to be common bullshit.

Where's your moral outrage at the billions of children forced into religions worldwide or the hundreds of millions of Western kids derided for liking the "wrong colors," or the "wrong toys," just as two easy examples?

Quote Originally Posted by negawonka View Post
    The use of makeup is not a biological imperative, the desire to appear attractive is but both genders feel that desire. How a person makes themselves appear attractive to the opposite sex changes (quite drastically) as society changes. Now it is attractive for women to get tans, but a hundred years ago or so women powdered their faces to appear paler. These are not natural urges but pressures put on them by what society says the opposite sex desires. As for things that accentuate feminine beauty HA! The curves of a woman (especially the lower) has changed in what is to be expected multiple times in history and throughout cultures. A hundred years ago women bought devices to flatten their behinds, nowadays they buy devices to expand it. Female fashion has changed so much and so frequently over human history it is hardly the same thing.
    but in the more broad sense women make themselves look attractive to mates thru the body and appearances of youth where as men have to do it thru displaying the material ability to provide

10+ Year Old Account
    Gender Identity threads are a forbidden topic here.