Page 1 of 23
... LastLast
    Deleted

Scottish police arrest man for offensive comments about refugees.

Link

A man has been arrested in connection with offensive comments posted on social media about Syrian refugees living in Bute.

Police confirmed on Tuesday that a 40-year-old has been arrested over the alleged comments and a report has been sent to the procurator fiscal.

A police spokesman described the comments as a "series of alleged offensive posts on social media relating to Syrian refugees living in Rothesay".

The man was arrested under the Communications Act.

Inspector Ewan Wilson from Dunoon Police Station in Argyll said: "I hope that the arrest of this individual sends a clear message that Police Scotland will not tolerate any form of activity which could incite hatred and provoke offensive comments on social media.

"Anyone with information about this type of incident is urged to contact police on 101."
    Anyone know what was said? This is disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    Link

Yeah, I'm confused myself. Shouldn't they have screencaps or something?

7+ Year Old Account
    Link

Sucks to have no freedom of speech over there.

But it doesn't surprise me. More incidents like this that happen, the more I suspect people will get quite tired of the forced tolerance policies...

Given that they didn't post the posts, it's as likely to be "I'm going to burn down all refugee houses" as "I hate refugees".

Rofl, Orwell just nods.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Without the posts to judge this could range from acceptable to terrifying. That said, the wording of the news post feels to me like it's going to be at least leaning toward terrifying.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Looks like the ministry of love is cracking down on on some double negative thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Without the posts to judge this could range from acceptable to terrifying. That said, the wording of the news post feels to me like it's going to be at least leaning toward terrifying.
    I'm leaning on terrifying, too. A lack of posts makes me think it was nothing or it really just was "I don't like refugees".

7+ Year Old Account
    He was probably opposing mass cuckoldry right before he got arrested.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-02-18 at 02:32 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Welp, the front page of Google shed no light on what was actually said. All they could do was link to stuff other people had said at other times.
    The odds are Facebook or Twitter deleted it before anyone really noticed it (barring the puritanical pseudo-leftist complainant who likely contacted the police(.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yikies. Differing opinions are now punishable by the Law?

I thought Mankind would destroy itself through Nuclear Warfare or something. Seems we are just going to destroy ourselves through stupidity instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post

I thought Mankind would destroy itself through Nuclear Warfare or something. Seems we are just going to destroy ourselves through stupidity instead.
    This kind of thing has been status quo in the UK for some time.

This is what extensive overreach against hate speech gets you. This is why anonymity online is important.

It really depends what he said. Given that he was arrested, it's likely it was that he was going to harm someone in some way.

- - - Updated - - -

This kind of thing has been status quo in the UK for some time.

This is what extensive overreach against hate speech gets you. This is why anonymity online is important.
    Are you... are you bringing up anonymity online.. for FACEBOOK and the like?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    It really depends what he said. Given that he was arrested, it's likely it was that he was going to harm someone in some way.
    It could be, but then you can get arrested for less than that in the Uk.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Scotland is a wasteland for free speech. You can get 5 years in prison for singing songs at football games about the catholic church's sex abuse.

It's the Communication's Act. It gets used to arrest trolls regardless of their political leanings. The last person who made the headlines under this legislation was a Safe Space nutter but keep trying to push that victimised Right narrative.

You where warned.. again and again...

You called those who did bigots and racists. Now the hour grows late and its to late to stop what comes next.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali
    Are you... are you bringing up anonymity online.. for FACEBOOK?!
    I am bringing it up as a general point. There's a desire from many establishment anti-internet figures and modern neo-leftists to see anonynmity online eroded.

It does not specifically say that he posted on Facebook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arrested?

How incredibly Orwellian.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    It's the Communication's Act. It gets used to arrest trolls regardless of their political leanings. The last person who made the headlines under this legislation was a Safe Space nutter but keep trying to push that victimised Right narrative.
    Yes, Bahar Mustafa.

Although her arrest was an effective illustration of hubris, I did not defend that.