Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Which is why we use Judges not robots.
    I was curious if there is a big difference in interpretation of the word "judge" in the UK and in the US. I mean sure they both fill a similar role but due to differences in the legal systems; I don't know but the idea of a judge making a call on whether something is offensive or not seems to cause something of a fuss?

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not for a moment trying to suggest that UK judges are infallable or anything they make some absolutely mental judgement calls. I believe there's appeals and stuff for those cases, kinda like a medical second opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Which is why we use Judges not robots.
    Well, at least that makes convictions on them very slightly less stupid or unfair.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    i like how all the ameriturds expect their own ethical rules to also hold in developed western countries.

You should google Kant and human dignity before talking about western european ethics.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by runey View Post
    i like how all the ameriturds expect their own ethical rules to also hold in developed western countries.

You should google Kant and human dignity before talking about western european ethics.
    Subtle nation bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    As far as I know, if his trial is held in a Sheriff Court or higher it will be a trial by jury.
    A Judge is still present during a Trial by Jury, I believe it's their job to "direct" the Jury and if the Jury rules Guilty then the Judge decides on the punishment. Human error is definitely a thing and Judges/Juries are not infallible, however I honestly can't think of a better way to assess guilt than this system.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by runey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel Kant
    The Negroes of Africa have by nature no feeling that rises about the trifling. Mr. Hume challenges anyone to cite a single example in which a Negro has shown talents, and asserts that among the hundreds of thousands of black who are transported elsewhere from their countries, although many of them have even been set free, still not a single one was every found who presented anything great in art or science or any other praiseworthy quality, even though among the whites some continually rise aloft from the lowest rabble, and through superior gifts earn respect in the world. So fundamental is the difference between these two races of man, and it appears to be as great in regard to mental capacities as in color. The religion of fetishes so widespread among them is perhaps a sort of idolatry that sinks as deeply into the trifling as appears to be possible to human nature. A bird's feather, a cow's horn, a conch shell, or any other common object, as soon as it becomes consecreated by a few words, is an objct of veneration and of invocation in swearing oaths. The blacks are very vain but in the Negro's way, and so talkative that they must be driven apart from each other with thrashings.
    Stop right there, racist scum!
    Last edited by Kontinuum; 2016-02-19 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Aye I know that. I was more attempting to pointing out that the jury would make the innocent/guilty call rather than the judge.
    Fair enough, although since we some to be explaining how the Judicial system works in the UK then I guess it's still useful to point out the details to our cousins across the pond.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    Stop right there, racist scum!
    Nice! No further comment.