Spoilers Everywhere!!

Should there be a standardized timeframe before people can post spoilers for new movies, tv episodes or really any media?

Personally I often don't have time to catch up on my shows but about once every 2 weeks. Recently, it seems that as soon as an episode airs there are huge spoilers plastered everywhere. And these are spoilers in huge bold headlines and it's often unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Should there be a standardized timeframe before people can post spoilers for new movies, tv episodes or really any media?

Personally I often don't have time to catch up on my shows but about once every 2 weeks. Recently, it seems that as soon as an episode airs there are huge spoilers plastered everywhere. And these are spoilers in huge bold headlines and it's often unavoidable.
    Would be pretty hard to implement. It does seem to get harder and harder to avoid any sort of spoilers for popular shows and movies though.

Are they really spoilers after they've aired? That's an age old question. Personally I'm aware that people do this, and spoiler boxes are annoying to read and make, so I just stay away from threads for shows/movies, until I've seen them. That's on these forums of course. If you're talking about social media and such, no real way to avoid that except to avoid social media all together (I personally don't use any so not an issue for me there either.)

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I wouldn't visit a forum thread until I had seen the episode for that week; it's a good way to avoid spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Most news articles warn about spoilers before you read further. If you're on a website like this (forums), expect that people aren't going to be considerate and that Mods can't be everywhere.

It sucks, but it's just something that happens and there's not a whole lot that you can do about it. Most of the Mods here will remove posts that don't have spoiler tags. Just report them if you see it. You may have seen the spoiler, but you can help prevent other people from seeing it by reporting the post.

Surprisingly, this site is pretty decent about spoilers. I just know not to venture into the spoiler tagged threads.

I'm talking sites like Facebook "recommended posts", major news outlets online and even tv. It just seems you are expected to watch, read and play everything the day it comes out. How would someone approach tackling this type of thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't visit a forum thread until I had seen the episode for that week; it's a good way to avoid spoilers.
    We have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Are they really spoilers after they've aired? That's an age old question. Personally I'm aware that people do this, and spoiler boxes are annoying to read and make, so I just stay away from threads for shows/movies, until I've seen them. That's on these forums of course. If you're talking about social media and such, no real way to avoid that except to avoid social media all together (I personally don't use any so not an issue for me there either.)
    I'm of this opinion: if a show has aired on national television, nothing from that episode is a spoiler. You barely need to do anything to see the episode, and it achieves almost nationwide saturation instantly (if it's a popular show). To ask people to refrain from discussing it because you're the odd case out who hasn't seen it almost seems inconsiderate to the majority who has, especially when you can avoid all spoilers with your own vigilance.

Movies are a little different because you need saturation, and you need to make a night of it, so I generally give people a week or two. If you haven't seen it in two weeks, you don't really care that much, imo.

As for the rules of this forum: if a post is marked "spoilers," anything goes. Past aired episodes, set leaks, wild speculative theories, etc.

If it's not marked "spoilers", that's what the black bars are for, and the reader can choose to read them or not.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the social media argument: well that's why social media sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I'm of this opinion: if a show has aired on national television, nothing from that episode is a spoiler. You barely need to do anything to see the episode, and it achieves almost nationwide saturation instantly (if it's a popular show). To ask people to refrain from discussing it because you're the odd case out who hasn't seen it almost seems inconsiderate to the majority who has, especially when you can avoid all spoilers with your own vigilance.

Movies are a little different because you need saturation, and you need to make a night of it, so I generally give people a week or two. If you haven't seen it in two weeks, you don't really care that much, imo.

As for the rules of this forum: if a post is marked "spoilers," anything goes. Past aired episodes, set leaks, wild speculative theories, etc.

If it's not marked "spoilers", that's what the black bars are for, and the reader can choose to read them or not.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the social media argument: well that's why social media sucks.
    So you're saying once a show airs on TV, tough luck if I can't watch it right away?

That's the problem, I can always be there for every show I watch, it's completely unrealistic.

So you're saying once a show airs on TV, tough luck if I can't watch it right away?

That's the problem, I can always be there for every show I watch, it's completely unrealistic.
    It's too easy to sit in your cubical and hear two people walk by "... in the comic Michonne cuts off Ron's head, but yeah, too bad Carl won't die from being shot in the face like that....." and you end up having a pissy day. <--- true story on Tuesday lol
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account

Its a problem if there are spoilers in a thread title. In my experience, that's pretty rare and usually changed fairly quickly in this forum.

But if its within a thread discussion, then just don't visit the threads for shows you haven't watched yet? That's what I do, and I think what most people do. I almost exclusively watch shows the day or more after they air as I no longer have a cable subscription and I don't go into threads until I've seen the last episode if its a show I care about being spoiled on.

I don't think its worth it to require any and all discussion about a recent show/movie/etc to have black bars all over every thread for a period of time just so that people who haven't seen the latest episode(s) yet can go into a show thread. I think that the people who haven't seen the latest episodes of a show but still want to discuss it are much more in the minority than those who would be coming into the thread to talk about what just happened, so you'd be requiring a lot more time/effort to spoiler tag full discussions for days afterwards, and it wouldn't be something that could be realistically enforced very well either.

Deleted
    Yes its also called real life where you're world #1 problem boils down to being yours only....

Dont wanna get spoiled dont read about it and stay away from the net....

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also, stay away from sites or articles related to the film, so for instance if you want to avoid BvS spoilers, don't go to any DC pages or youtube videos on the subject or the brand in general to be safe.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

For TV shows, once it airs its fair game. For movies, I'm not sure what the timeline is but if its already out on DVD don't be mad when someone tells you dumbledore dies.

Don't want spoilers? Then don't go to places that you know they will be. That's like walking between a shoot out then bitching about getting shot.