Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

SJW Entryism: Metal's Problem With Women Not Going Away

Link

From last November, but still hilariously ignorant and representative of the problem people talk about when they refer to entryism:

Favourite clangers from the article, parts in bold highlighted for emphasis:

Perhaps the closest a female-fronted act came to headlining a metal package was Halestorm at Rocklahoma. That festival, held this past May east of Tulsa, amazingly hosted at least five bands with female members...out of more than 100. (Did I mention it's 2015?)

While promoters certainly fail women, most media coverage of female metal musicians merely treats them as novelties. As it persists in seeing them as unconventional or worse, in purely sexual terms, women are still not equal. Instead they are either called out for perceived “slutty” clothing or not covered at all due to being (allegedly) not sexy enough.

Women can’t win. What coverage female musicians do get often focuses on sideshow, gimmicky crap. For example, BABYMETAL — a band only a pedophile could love — gets more press than many outstanding women musicians. Too many women whose talents are spotlight-worthy remain unknown. Can you name 20 metal acts with at least one female member? Ten? Even five? Didn’t think so.
    And even if metal fans are principally male, why are they reluctant to cheer for a female-fronted band? Never fail to understand this: because being a fan is an act of submission. It’s the same reason men can't wait destroy a successful female player in a live-action role-playing video game. Lower-ranked males despise the disruption in hierarchy represented by a successful female. They’re jealous, and don’t want to give up power.

Or worse, they either fail to see the common humanity in a female or believe they’re just not worth hearing. The empathy gap in metal is so enormous that the problem is systemic. Until metal fans can appreciate metal for the music and not just who plays it, metal will remain the dark fraternity it is.
    Know this: metal's female musicians and fans will keep claiming a role in the music we love, because we deserve to be here too. Our presence in all categories will continue to grow. We will not go away, we will not remain as props or objects. We have a voice and we will be heard. Women will take their equal share, not because men will relinquish it to them but because it's already theirs. As Kurt Cobain so beautifully predicted in 1994, “The future of rock belongs to women."

And besides, it’s already 2015.

Personally I would love it if there was more women metal bands. There are plenty of women who are really good guitar players. They are shredders as a matter of fact. What I would really love to see is a group of women who write and compose there own music that is as high of a caliber as tool, mastodon and old iron maiden. As far as I know, there is now group of women that are this good. Groups like the Iron Maidens are awesome at iron maiden covers but I would like to see them do there own material that doesn't sound like pop rock or hair metal.

This is a really stupid article, because as someone who has listened to Metal since the 80s I can confidently say that whenever a female musician shows up in a band and actually kicks some serious ass she's almost universally applauded and celebrated. It's the scene girls who don't actually give a shit about the music and are just looking for easy attention and the like that get derided and trashed and don't stick around long.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the metal bands I listen to are female fronted. So I don't understand this at all?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Personally I would love it if there was more women metal bands. There are plenty of women who are really good guitar players. They are shredders as a matter of fact. What I would really love to see is a group of women who write and compose there own music that is as high of a caliber as tool, mastodon and old iron maiden. As far as I know, there is now group of women that are this good. Groups like the Iron Maidens are awesome at iron maiden covers but I would like to see them do there own material that doesn't sound like pop rock or hair metal.
    Female-only metal bands are pretty rare but there are plenty of bands across the spectrum that include women members.

You know what? I think this article comes from 2015.

I also don't think I've ever heard of women not being welcome in Metal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can name shitloads of metal acts that have female members. Women in metal aren't pushed away at all, they're almost universally cheered on for being badass chicks who know how to slam a beer and shred their shit.

Whoever wrote this article is a moron.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    My problem with SJWs not going away.
    Putin khuliyo

Astarte had a few really great black metal albums and they were all female.
    And on the flip side of the coin you have Myrkur who is absolute trash and is really pushing the "IM A GIRL, LOOK AT ME IM A GIRL IN BLACK METAL."

And that Kurt Cobain quote is fine and all but rock and metal are two very different things so it doesn't really apply.

Agree with you OP, stupid article written by a stupid person about a stupid topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone, being SJW or not, using "It's X year!" as an argument is dumb in my books.

Why have we not all switched to transparent clothing? It's 2016, wake up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    I clicked because I thought there was an error on the tittle of this thread. You did mean "Metal´s problem" as in Metal: the music genre.

Now, after reading those excerpts I think it must be hard for a Metal centric event organiser to bring female fronted band as main attractions. Even with the best intentions at hand a firmly in the SJW mindset, ticket sales are ticket sales. If you ask me as long as female fronted acts arent down right denied on the basis of being female fronted... how can you blame anyone?

Breaking into any music market (?) is hard but I bet the Metal scene is one of the toughest cookies to crack. The fan base isn´t just anal about labeling genres they are extremely demanding about quality. Honestly, I feel for anyone trying to break into that world, male or female. The fact that, once again, women have a tougher time at it is, once again, sad.
    Honest question: You don't listen to Metal, right? As someone who for 10 years in a row at Wacken Open Air (big big Metal festival) I can seriously say, that this article is less than shit. It doesn't understand Metal or it's Fanbase. And reading the comments of that article gave me a fuzzy warm feeling in my cold dead heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Halestorm is metal? lol
    THIS would be the gate to metal, imo. Fans with VERY particular tastes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, wtf is a Live-Action Role Playing videogame????

How can video games be live-action.

Runhild Gammalsaeter would eat that articles' author alive and still have enough room for a SJW or two.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

If we can erase any use of "it's [current year]" from use, I'll be happier for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You know what? I think this article comes from 2015.

I also don't think I've ever heard of women not being welcome in Metal.
    Late 70's early 80's ...but that is history not present day.
    The "Hammer heads" of those days were HIGHLY anti female at shows (unless the female was getting them a beer or going to ...favor them after the show) If a female was in the pit...forget it , she was burger meat before the 2nd song.
    I think it was either a Dio or Quiet Riot show (yeah I know more "hair band") when "spikes" were on everything you wore into a pit and ...the "hammer heads/ grinders circled one women who had dared into the pit...I seem to recall this image of her left eye being ruptured, hair ripped out in large patches and ..generally run through a ..."grinder" .
    I haven't been in awhile but I hope shows are better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Anyone, being SJW or not, using "It's X year!" as an argument is dumb in my books.

Why have we not all switched to transparent clothing? It's 2016, wake up.
    This. Mentioning the year doesnt make your argument any better. Its usually what people say when they have nothing to back up their opinion. "you guys are still doing this? Come on! Its 2016!"

10+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._metal_singers

Just lead singers, covering all genres. Maybe the people that wrote this article are too stupid to realize that shitty radio-friendly cock-rock like Halestorm isn't fucking metal.

There's loads of women fronting symphonic and power bands, as well as throwback stoner and doom bands. Not to mention incredibly well-known melodeath vocalists like the now-retired Angela Gossow.

People that don't know anything about metal shouldn't fucking write about metal.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    If we can erase any use of "it's [current year]" from use, I'll be happier for it.
    But Faroth, it's 2016, get with the times, using the current years as an argument is like, totally, radically legit.

Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Late 70's early 80's ...but that is history not present day.
    The "Hammer heads" of those days were HIGHLY anti female at shows (unless the female was getting them a beer or going to ...favor them after the show) If a female was in the pit...forget it , she was burger meat before the 2nd song.
    I think it was either a Dio or Quiet Riot show (yeah I know more "hair band") when "spikes" were on everything you wore into a pit and ...the "hammer heads/ grinders circled one women who had dared into the pit...I seem to recall this image of her left eye being ruptured, hair ripped out in large patches and ..generally run through a ..."grinder" .
    I haven't been in awhile but I hope shows are better now.
    Well, shit. And it was a few years ago, but one of my friends had a dislocated shoulder, and huge black eye and three broken fingers when he decided to mosh. I guess that's an improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Also, wtf is a Live-Action Role Playing videogame????

How can video games be live-action.
    Wat. I just. Wat. How.