View Poll Results: Do you support customizing your animal to suite your needs / enjoyment?

Voters
39. This poll is closed
  • Yes

4 10.26%
  • No

33 84.62%
  • Neutral

2 5.13%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Customizing Your Animals

What do you think about the subject of customizing your animals / pets?

Would you physically modify a pet to suite your needs / enjoyment? Just talking about common things that people do to their pets:

• Cropping du-claws from cat/dog
    • Cropping ears on dog to make them pointy
    • Cropping tail on dog (common with terriers and schnauzers)
    • Numbing voice box so bark isnt as loud
    • Cutting hair in a way for shows (show dog, etc)

Simple vote if you would or wouldn't, and you can post why in your comment.

For me, yes I have and I will continue to do so. To me, making pets more human friendly is not brutalizing them in any way. My dogs love me and I love them, and Ive had their du-claws removed and tail and ears cropped (mini schnauzers). I think of it similar to a circumcision for males when they are babies. Its done for cleanliness and quality of life later on (not to mention better sexual experience later on in life).

So would you or would you not modify your animals / pets in any way for your personal enjoyment?

Cropping dewclaws is almost necessary, isn't it? Can't they die if they get it caught on something and rip it out?

Deleted
    yeah, I don't see why I wouldn't

Should be banned. You have no right to abuse your animal just because they might "look better".

Only if it is necessary because of health reasons, I would accept it.

Deleted
    Cropping du-claws from cat/dog
    Cropping ears on dog to make them pointy
    Cropping tail on dog (common with terriers and schnauzers)
    Numbing voice box so bark isnt as loud

These are all illegal in UK

Hmmm, I think I got some scissors around here.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Should all be banned. You have no right to abuse your animal just because they might "look better".
    You mean like how over thousands of years we took wolves and turned them into pugs that can't give birth without surgical assistance?
    We have a long and colorful tradition of fucking with dogs to get them how we want.
    Cropping ears is fucked up and same with tails in most breeds, but I am all for dewclaw removal, and it's not like cutting their hair a certain way is torture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Cropping dewclaws is almost necessary, isn't it? Can't they die if they get it caught on something and rip it out?
    yeah, pretty much. Its just a good practice for the animal's health as well as your couch not getting ripped to shreds.

You made this exact thread before Jay. You're slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Cropping du-claws from cat/dog
    Cropping ears on dog to make them pointy
    Cropping tail on dog (common with terriers and schnauzers)
    Numbing voice box so bark isnt as loud

These are all illegal in UK
    Most of those are illegal in the UK*

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/our-...-of-dew-claws/

Personally I'm against animal cruelty, so that would be a no from me.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Should be banned. You have no right to abuse your animal just because they might "look better".

Yep, this shit is pretty horrifying. People who do this should be jailed.

10+ Year Old Account

Its not abuse. It in most cases improves the quality of life for the animal.

Also, I feel that animals are here for OUR enjoyment, whether it be for food, or utility (horses, oxen, goat, sheep etc) or for companionship (dogs, cats, birds etc).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    You made this exact thread before Jay. You're slipping.
    are you advocating that I should necro old threads? The other thread didn't have a vote to ask people's opinion on whether they support or don't support the practice.

Guys, Jaylock's made this thread months ago word by word. I'm not sifting through his garbage history to find it, but I assure you that this is a reposted flamebait.

inb4 50 pages

They could die indeed, I can tell you from experience it's not pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Guys, Jaylock's made this thread months ago word by word. I'm not sifting through his garbage history to find it, but I assure you that this is a reposted flamebait.

inb4 50 pages
    Agreed .
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

7+ Year Old Account
    Most definitely NO.

Cutting the ears or the tail is a rather painful process they've to go through. Would you like it if someone cutted your ears by force? Don't you think it'd hurt?
    Also the dogs has a reason to why their ears hang naturally. It's to prevent stuff to get into the ear tunnels.

You do NOT need to declaw your animals; Whether it's a cat, a dog, a bird or a snake (teeth). Be a proper pet owner and it would never be necessary. Should we rip your nails off too? Or your teeth? You know.. Incase you bite.

As for cutting a fur.. Meh, that is actually one thing that doesn't harm the pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    Most definitely NO.

Cutting the ears or the tail is a rather painful process they've to go through. Would you like it if someone cutted your ears by force? Don't you think it'd hurt?
    Also the dogs has a reason to why their ears hang naturally. It's to prevent stuff to get into the ear tunnels.

You do NOT need to declaw your animals; Whether it's a cat, a dog, a bird or a snake (teeth). Be a proper pet owner and it would never be necessary. Should we rip your nails off too? Or your teeth? You know.. Incase you bite.

As for cutting a fur.. Meh, that is actually one thing that doesn't harm the pet.
    You know removal of a dewclaw is different than de-clawing, right? You should really look up the difference.

Deleted
    Most of those are illegal in the UK*

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/our-...-of-dew-claws/
    I confess I thought he mispelled de-claw rather than mean dew claw. Dew claws are a little complex

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I confess I thought he mispelled de-claw rather than mean dew claw. Dew claws are a little complex
    Yeah I can see that mixup happening, no biggie.
    Personally I say remove them but I could respect someone not wanting to take it off, but I'll be removing them every time.