View Poll Results: Could an Enhanced Vanilla WoW give Modern WoW a run for its money?

Voters
131. This poll is closed
  • Yes, WoW used to have brilliant design.

43 32.82%
  • No, get this nostalgia trend out of here.

88 67.18%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Was it really just nostalgia? A Vanilla poll of epic feels.

Vanilla WoW - An unlikely alliance as three adventurers find themselves fending off an enormous, ferocious Worg on the snowy plains of the Eastern Kingdoms:

Modern WoW - Choose Your Destiny:

In Vanilla, 40m raiding and boss design was kind of primitive but that was the whole point. Dungeon bosses were meant to serve as a sort of validation for building a group and handling everything in the dungeon up to that point. They were the treasure chests, containing all that amazing loot we were grasping for. Loot was love, life, social status and in a lot of cases a significant PvP boost.

In Modern WoW, on the other hand, we have received significant Quality of Life improvements since the era of Vanilla/TBC/Early WOTLK. A click, a menu, another click and one 20-minute-run later... there you are, empowered with a feeling of accomplishment unlike anything you have ever felt before. Which will surely last until the next patch cycle.

So let your voice be heard and vote. Do we need a big Anti-Nostalgia Wall? Or is the only thing that can save WoW a reboot on Kickstarter by the original team? You decide.

Cool, another thread about vanilla wow. I haven't seen one of those since 5 minutes ago.

Player 1 Start: Pick a thread!!

A) Vanilla WoW thread
    B) Removal of different raid difficulty thread
    C) How Legion/Expansions are ruining the game thread
    D) Casuals complaining about Raiders getting loot thread

START!

have no idea what is going on

Can't these vanilla WoW posters keep it to themselves?

Jeez, pushing your narrative and your views like a blunt instrument gets really annoying.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    loved vanilla back when it was vanilla and not private servers. i'd rather have the found memories i have with vanilla then go back to it tho,ive unsubbed modern wow and dont think i will be back to the mess it's become.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    Cool, another thread about vanilla wow. I haven't seen one of those since 5 minutes ago.
    Cool, another sarcastic post that accomplishes nothing but showing off your trolling powers. I haven't seen one of those since EVERY SINGLE THREAD I EVER LOOK AT.

I like how 'poll of epic feels' and has no poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    Cool, another sarcastic post that accomplishes nothing but showing off your trolling powers. I haven't seen one of those since EVERY SINGLE THREAD I EVER LOOK AT.
    a post complaining about a post complaining about a thread

el oh el
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneesh View Post
    Or is the only thing that can save WoW a reboot on Kickstarter by the original team? You decide.
    What makes you think the original team would make it that way again? Vanilla WOW was a right place/right time achievement that was supposed to be a short term project. Nobody knows why WOW caught on like it did and the chances of a repeat performance are very small.

Broken specs and even entire classes, terrible itemization, simple raids with ridiculous amounts of trash, mindnumbing tedium... yeah, vanilla was great. And I totally miss the "community" of trade chat superstars, people with egos the size of Canada, and losers that got 99% of their life validation from standing around in Ironforge and letting people inspect their leet purpz.

Sorry, I don't feel like making something boring and tedious makes it more ~immersive and challenging~, and I can live without lording over how much better I am than those filthy casuals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpling View Post
    Broken specs and even entire classes, terrible itemization, simple raids with ridiculous amounts of trash, mindnumbing tedium... yeah, vanilla was great. And I totally miss the "community" of trade chat superstars, people with egos the size of Canada, and losers that got 99% of their life validation from standing around in Ironforge and letting people inspect their leet purpz.

Sorry, I don't feel like making something boring and tedious makes it more ~immersive and challenging~, and I can live without lording over how much better I am than those filthy casuals.
    I can tell you never played in 2004, cause you are describing modern WoW sans class viability.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

So stating an observation is trolling? Ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpling View Post

ITT: People who don't want to actually play an MMORPG but think that they do, or are too invested to quit, and feel that game developers should therefore change the core tenets of the genre itself to suit them.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Mmorpg or not mmorpg that is the question.

There is no real answer

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    ITT: People who don't want to actually play an MMORPG but think that they do, or are too invested to quit, and feel that game developers should therefore change the core tenets of the genre itself to suit them.
    This.

Seriously.. can the Vanilla WoW threads stop, it's never going to happen.. Not financially viable

Deleted
    what else is there to "accomplish" in threads like this? theyre just replicated all the time to make it seem like there are actually some people who...
    well, you almost got me to post sth that has been discussed 1000times again

Poll is up, friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    What makes you think the original team would make it that way again? Vanilla WOW was a right place/right time achievement that was supposed to be a short term project. Nobody knows why WOW caught on like it did and the chances of a repeat performance are very small.
    Jeff Kaplan. I think that there is a strong correlation between Jeff Kaplan being moved to Titan/Overwatch and WoW feeling different. Read this interview for a glimpse of what his contributions to WoW were. That guy was literally our community representative; the most 'in touch' with what players wanted from an MMORPG, having been a fairly prominent Everquest guild leader and critic.

I think that WoW caught on because a large generation of console & web gamers yearned for an epic, social RPG experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    I like how 'poll of epic feels' and has no poll.
    Posting a poll on MMOC is interesting since it is a 2-screen process and the thread went up before I even finished the poll! I am now wiser.

Deleted
    This thread is interesting because it introduces a completely new subject to talk about: Vanilla - Nostalgia or epicness that needs to come back

Its a subject that we have never before seen on MMO-C and as such should be discussed in lenght.

I wish more people would follow the OP into making new and interesting topics like this one. Especially when there currently exists exactly 0 threads concerning the exact same subject

GOD I LOVE THIS THREAD

7+ Year Old Account
    Wow, nice comparison! Makes it seem totally not biased! HYPE!

So much nostalgia running through your veins... Did it replace all of your blood?
    Signature and matching avatar made by the lovely Winter Blossom.
    Hellfire Citadel Progression: 13/13 LFR, 12/13 Normal, 7/13 Heroic, 0/13 Mythic