Deleted

HOPE not hate chief executive, 'no-platformed’ by NUS for being ‘Islamophobic'.

Source

"The head of a campaign which seeks to counter racism and fascism in the UK has allegedly been “no-platformed” by the National Union of Students (NUS) on the grounds he is “Islamophobic.”

Nick Lowles, chief executive of HOPE not hate, took to his Facebook to criticise Black Students - the NUS campaign which focuses on equality in education, black representation, anti-racism and anti-fascism - for its “ultra-left lunacy.”"
    Last edited by mmoce69e574eb3; 2016-02-19 at 02:48 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Disinvitation season begs the question, why even have these Student Unions, OR why ever have speakers invited at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Disinvitation season begs the question, why even have these Student Unions, OR why ever have speakers invited at all?
    No clue. Atleast we can test run how giving control of school events over to students will work.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    No clue. Atleast we can test run how giving control of school events over to students will work.
    At my university the Student Union "enjoys," very little student engagement. For their power the Student Unions IMHO probably are just a wayyyyyy too powerful institution often dominated by the minority of activists students drawn to the magnetic pull of having some power.

I have no idea what purpose they have, or from wince it arrived, but I think the ages of Student Unions is something likely to crumble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    At my university the Student Union "enjoys," very little student engagement. For their power the Student Unions IMHO probably are just a wayyyyyy too powerful institution often dominated by the minority of activists students drawn to the magnetic pull of having some power.

I have no idea what purpose they have, or from wince it arrived, but I think the ages of Student Unions is something likely to crumble.
    In theory, I would guess this was the attempt to give students the ability to handle their own groups and student related events. Either to give them a sense of involvement and community or just to pawn that role onto the students.

Unfortunately, the natural clique vibe of schools crossed with a tide of Social Justice and the belief that the opposition must be removed and you get a bunch of stupidity that makes higher learning a mess.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Disagreement and criticism of Islam should be encouraged not silenced.

the term Islamaphobia is a sham word used to try and silence criticism of a regressive ideology.

Modern day book and witch burners.

We let the cancer spread to deep. We are going to have to start higher education over from scratch when this is all over. I never know if I should laugh or cry at the irony you can not discuss different ideas at a university anymore..

How did we get to this point? Where did it start?

If you are not against islam there is something wrong with you. xD

/facepalm If true. However at the end of the article the President of the NUS says they haven't been no-platformed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Dunn, President of the NUS
    In an email to the Independent, however, NUS president Megan Dunn said HOPE not hate was not on the NUS 'no-platform list'. She added: “I would happily share a platform with anyone from HOPE not hate, and its representatives - including Nick Lowles - have and continue to be invited to NUS events.

“I have tried to clarify this issue with Mr Lowles but have been unable to contact him.”
    Looks like someone has got their wires crossed somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Another knee jerk reaction to a non- story. Read the last paragraph of the linked article. Nick Lowles has not been no-platformed by the NUS.This is drivel befitting the of a sjw.

- - - Updated - - -

simply put, don't buy into the alarmist clap-trap the op is selling you.
    I read the original article and the paragraph at the end wasn't in it, it said something along the lines of them having received no response to a request for comment. It seems to be an update, but not mentioned as such by the Independent.

Edit: To clarify, the response from Megan Dunn wasn't there earlier, not the part where Megan Dunn says Nick Lowles hasn't responded to her.
    Last edited by Kalis; 2016-02-19 at 01:52 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like these students haven't grown up out of the maximalistic phase yet.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side