10+ Year Old Account

Why do Washingtonians like coffee so much?

Out of all states that I've too people in Washington especially on the west side have a big obsession with coffee? Especially if its Starbucks. People would look at you funny if you say that you don't like coffee over there?

One, I'm not sure what you're doing in Washington state in the first place, considering your purported political views. :P
    Two, cultural preferences aren't mired in logic. Why do Southerners like sweet tea? Who the hell knows.

15+ Year Old Account
    Coffee is delicious.

Some places just develop more of a culture for it as a social thing too.

15+ Year Old Account
    coffee is good but starbucks is trash along with duncan donuts
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

Stood in the Fire Larsadius Rex's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Who the hell knows.
    A lot of people do and all of these things are quite clearly explained:

Look at all of the places in the world with the coldest or dampest weather (northeast, northwest, scandinavia, ireland, etc.) and they have the highest coffee per capita consumption in the world. This is unsurprisingly due to having to stay inside working all day and trying to stay warm, while also having to stay awake and productive. Coffee is the go-to for this lifestyle present in these regions.

On the flip side, all of the mildest and most hospitable climates favor mild and refreshing drinks that cool you off on a hot day. Southeast asia, india, northern africa, southern europe.. they all favor iced teas and fine wines.

It's just the nature of these places and what their lifestyles call for.
    -----------------------------------------------
    “It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”

One, I'm not sure what you're doing in Washington state in the first place, considering your purported political views. :P
    Two, cultural preferences aren't mired in logic. Why do Southerners like sweet tea? Who the hell knows.
    I live in Washington, it really depends what side you are on.

If you are in Seattle area, you are "blue". But the entire rest of the state is "red", and pretty religious.

As for the coffee thing, I don't know what you are talking about, its about the same everywhere else when you go to bigger cities, no one really makes that big of a deal about it.

is it coffee? Or is it coffee flavored sugar milk.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Lack of sunshine in the Seattle area. Seattle has 71 days of Sunshine compared to Phoenix's 331 days.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Coffee is the ONLY way to survive day after day after day after day of rain. Plus Bikini Baristas make it fun to get

Does starbucks really qualify for being coffee though?

Quote Originally Posted by Skayaq View Post
    We have plenty of other coffee places here besides Starbucks which started in Washington. But to answer the question it would be probably due to the weather for example as I'm typing this it's pouring rain outside almost hail

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya they sell regular coffee there too. Like before there's plenty of other places. Bikini baristas for the boys. Mostly naked guy baristas for the other boys. There's also a high concentration of book-readers, and persons with college degrees.

But yeah the weather... I just moved back to Seattle after living in the Bay Area for a few years. I forgot how oppressive the gloom and rain are.

Coffee and weed make it more tolerable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaemeson Foster View Post
    A lot of people do and all of these things are quite clearly explained:

Look at all of the places in the world with the coldest or dampest weather (northeast, northwest, scandinavia, ireland, etc.) and they have the highest coffee per capita consumption in the world. This is unsurprisingly due to having to stay inside working all day and trying to stay warm, while also having to stay awake and productive. Coffee is the go-to for this lifestyle present in these regions.

On the flip side, all of the mildest and most hospitable climates favor mild and refreshing drinks that cool you off on a hot day. Southeast asia, india, northern africa, southern europe.. they all favor iced teas and fine wines.

It's just the nature of these places and what their lifestyles call for.
    Southern Europeans tend to drink lots of coffee, far more than in the UK and Ireland, where it is all about a nice cup of tea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Southern Europeans tend to drink lots of coffee, far more than in the UK and Ireland, where it is all about a nice cup of tea.
    Upon googling again, you're right that the UK barely drinks any coffee, but southern europe (france and italy) are far below the average and median for coffee consumption. My point still stands that coffee consumption sky rockets in regions with less sunlight/warmth.
    “It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Upon googling again, you're right that the UK barely drinks any coffee, but southern europe (france and italy) are far below the average and median for coffee consumption. My point still stands that coffee consumption sky rockets in regions with less sunlight/warmth.
    France isn't generally regarded as Southern European, it's usually put in Western Europe.

Italy and Greece are in Southern Europe, and they have the 12th and 16th highest coffee consumption per capita respectively.

Southern Europe has lots of coffee drinkers, less than Scandinavia and Benelux countries, but more than most cooler regions. It's a cultural thing between coffee and tea drinkers, some regions have more of the former, some more of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    I live in Washington, it really depends what side you are on.

If you are in Seattle area, you are "blue". But the entire rest of the state is "red", and pretty religious.
    Yes, I live in Oregon and it is the same here. I don't mind...I actually like the fact that the state isn't 100% blue. Just, mostly blue.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but why coffee and not hot tea? I think it's simply cultural.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I live in Oregon and it is the same here. I don't mind...I actually like the fact that the state isn't 100% blue. Just, mostly blue.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but why coffee and not hot tea? I think it's simply cultural.
    The average cup of tea has 5-15% the caffeine as coffee. As I said it also has to do with staying productive. Being in college in NH, totally understand why similar regions drink so much coffee.

15+ Year Old Account
    The average cup of tea has 5-15% the caffeine as coffee. As I said it also has to do with staying productive. Being in college in NH, totally understand why similar regions drink so much coffee.
    From what I remember, Tea actually has more caffeine, before it is brewed. But tea ends up becoming much more diluted rather than coffee and kinda burns away after 10 seconds when steeping it. Though you could have a very stronger tea depending on how much water and how much you let it steep.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    he's infiltrating the enemy base. he's my proxy against you.

- - - Updated - - -

you mean like how mcdonald's qualifies as being food?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.