10+ Year Old Account

New Rift feature - specialty bags. Really? Really?

I know countless MMO's that have had this since their release.

With their (maybe) 20,000 or so players, "this" is what they think is "hype-worthy" to ask their community about. It's something that could be put in a friggin' hotfix.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5180322

For a long time we have wanted to revamp how our inventory works. We've looked at changing to a one-big-bag system but after much deliberation that is probably too much work on the engineering end so now we're considering specialty bags.

Disclaimer: This is not a guarantee that we are making this feature, just that we are exploring the idea. If we do work on this, it won't be until after the 3.6 update.

What we're considering is selling new bags which are larger than normal and only specific types of items go into them. For example, if I have a dimension item bag then any dimension item that goes into my inventory would go to that bag but nothing else could go into that bag except dimension items. No pricing has actually been determined but these would probably be for Credits especially since these are a convenience.

So what we'd like are ideas and your votes. What type of bag would you want most? Please post your ideas and suggestions as well!

I love this line: "For a long time we have wanted to revamp how our inventory works. We've looked at changing to a one-big-bag system but after much deliberation that is probably too much work on the engineering end so now we're considering specialty bags."

This is too engineering intensive, but they're taking on the task of making the engine multi-core and 64bit?

Specialty bags. Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    This is too engineering intensive, but they're taking on the task of making the engine multi-core and 64bit?
    Like anything in life, there is a cost and a benefit. I highly doubt he's suggesting that somehow their programmers are not capable of making a one-bag system. Rather, that it's too much work for its potential payoff. Why that is, only people with intimate knowledge of the codebase could tell you. Look back at some of the really weird shit going on with the WOW backpack for example.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Oh look "selling new bags",i'm sure they will find a way to make this work since it will have a price tag attached to it,just ignore all the other bugs/issues that have been ongoing for months and in some cases years,after all they can't put fixes on the store.
    Last edited by justinhalfout; 2016-02-20 at 08:45 AM.

I love this line: "For a long time we have wanted to revamp how our inventory works. We've looked at changing to a one-big-bag system but after much deliberation that is probably too much work on the engineering end so now we're considering specialty bags."

Specialty bags. Seriously?
    You say that like they have engineers left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift shop is pretty horrible, it's no surprise they are adding this to their long list of stuff you can buy from it :S

Like you can already fully gear yourself out, get the best most unique costumes, unlock new equip able item slots(seriously), best mounts, unlock minions/slots, pets etc :S

Just pull a GW2 here and barrow the wardrobe UI for crafting. Separate sheet that all of your crafting materials automatically go to and stacks. You could charge to extend the cap.

e.g. baseline for all players is 50 stacks, f2p or patron player. You could then charge in the shop to increase the cap to 999 stacks for an extra $20. If you exceed cap then you start to fill your inventory back up.

Same could be done for dimensions.

This is overwhelmingly meh from me. Don't really see why it's worth any "hate" or even criticism. They're polling forum goers about what they'd prefer out of a potential minor change to the inventory system to see which would be the most popular. This will very likely be cash shop related but honestly, it's bags. I can't remember the last time I had any kinds of inventory problems on my characters, especially since you can vendor trash items from anywhere.

If they end up selling 200 slot crafting material bags in the store, /whatever.

I don't know, the phrasing and context make it seem pretty clear to me that it's not that it's more than multi-core support or anything, but that it's simply going to take more time to work on that change than they want to devote to it. There are always all kinds of projects that get scrapped because the time required to implement them isn't worth it, even if they want to do it.

That poll seems like one thats very biased, many of those Bag ideas they're suggesting all store one specific item type. By breaking it down further they can implement only one of them and claim it was the most popular. Or even add all of them and claim to have surpassed the communities expectations.

That being said, I'd have paid well for huge bags that store just one specific item type. Having to manually sift through thousands of slots and sort them got very annoying. Its one of the monetisation methods I'd support, it has practically no effect on game play.

If they just did like wow did with bag sorting I would be happier.
    I'm a thread killer.

Quote Originally Posted by blankfaced View Post
    If they just did like wow did with bag sorting I would be happier.
    Well, there are mods that help with that : P

I think I use Bagnon, which is similar to some of the older WoW bag addons, and it works great.

It's not like in WoW the devs can change the size of the first bag we have all on a whim. Oh, wait, they said they cant w/o doing a shit load of work.
    Saying it's bs that Rift is doing it now, just think that in wow they havent been able to do it in.. 10 years +.