Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    OP if your question is in reference to yourself, I am going to have to chuckle a bit.
    Oh, shit, that hadn't even occurred to me. People sure do have some fanciful ideas....

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i guess that makes me part of the 3%.
    I thought you had ADHD. How many disorders do you have, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought you had ADHD. How many disorders do you have, lol.
    i have adhd autism and moderate ocd. i also have epilepsy. my mother did drugs and smoked when she was pregnant.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    No, it is not in reference to myself. It's just that the mentally troubled genius theme has occurred throughout history many times.
    There's a book that discusses the link between bipolar disorder and creative "genius" as it so subjectively describes it, it was optional reading for one of my undergraduate courses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ie=UTF8&btkr=1

10+ Year Old Account

This quote leaps to mind.

i have adhd autism and moderate ocd. i also have epilepsy. my mother did drugs when she was pregnant.
    That makes me sad. Personally I feel that mothers who drink and do drugs while knowingly pregnant should be held liable for the damage they do to their unborn fetus if they decide not to abort, but that's just me.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think madness has anything to do with intelligence. You can be mad and intelligent, or mad and stupid. The idea that some really intelligent people had odd behavior isn't really shocking - some really stupid people act extremely normal.

i have adhd autism and moderate ocd. i also have epilepsy. my mother did drugs and smoked when she was pregnant.
    Dang bread. Didn't know that. Tip of the cap from a fellow Sconnie, hope the best for you.

It looks like this article is more relating creativity to psychosis/depression, not genius to insanity.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

When you'll use what you think to excuse harming someone you've crossed the line.

Second note, if you were a genius you'd know how much you're incapable of knowing due to the scope of human life. What we know accounts for maybe a line in a pie chart, surly not even a slice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you think a very high level of intelligence should cause madness or be madness? While it is true that a lot of highly intelligent people are weird and crazy a bit, I think it has more to do with them spending more time doing something in science, poetry, etc. and less time socializing with people, so when they do socialize, due to the lack of experience they don't do it very well, in extreme cases looking outright like madmen. Mathematician Perelman is a good example of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    That makes me sad. Personally I feel that mothers who drink and do drugs while knowingly pregnant should be held liable for the damage they do to their unborn fetus if they decide not to abort, but that's just me.
    she gave me up for adoption. i don't know her personally.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I've always seen high video game skill as a fine example of the tipover point.

Seeking to be good at, say, WoW PvP is at least partly madness: Arenas are designed with piles of RNG and a 50% winrate philosophy in mind. However, this madness becomes extreme intelligence when the skill is so advanced that it can be turned into profits (Stream revenue, Tournament prizes, Coaching etc).

Guillaume Patry's madness became extreme intelligence when he consistently managed to outplay professional Korean players in Starcraft: Brood War. Who would have thought that flying to Seoul for a career in pixel-smashing (back in the 2000s, no less) would be worthwhile?

So, all in all I think that it becomes genius when someone is willing to fork over money for doing whatever it is you like to do.

Everyone thought Donald Trump was a madman
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Everyone thought Donald Trump was a madman
    I think you meant to type "moron". :/

I think you meant to type "moron". :/
    To be fair, both words get tossed around towards a lot of the same people for the same reasons usually. It's like 50% of all negative words in the english language mean the same thing to 50% of the population.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, the line between madness and extreme intelligence...
    I would say that if you arrange the peas on your plate in relation to their gravitational pull from different planets in the solar system, you have probably gone a little too far.
    However, if you believe that the Earth is flat, Global Warming doesn't exist, and that Vaccinations cause Autism... You haven't gone nearly far enough.

Deleted
    Madness is sort of an instability of mind, while intelligence is basically processing power -- and sometimes subconscious.

But the finer the machine, the easier it gets broken; same might apply to a highly sophisticated mind. Many superintelligent people do seem to often have all sorts of mental abnormalities (asperger, bipolar etc.). Maybe biology is trading off stability in return of processing power?

Intelligent people might also get depressed because of the relative stupidity of the surrounding people.

Dostoyevsky is the only person I know who's a genius. How do I know him? He was an author who wrote books and from his stories and characterizations you can get to know someone at least a little. Apparently Dostoyevsky had many friends and was well adjusted.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like these things aren't exactly comparable.

Intelligence is a measurable thing in a number of various ways.

'Madness' is simply a societal impression. It has very little measurable value.

For the record, 'mental illness' is not interchangeable with 'madness' for the most part. You can't say someone had autism and immediately put it on a number spectrum with intelligence. "Madness" is a very, very, very vague statement, and largely just a trope term.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab