Is Healing in a thing now?

I recently stumbled on a reddit thread that in passing mentioned that GW2 had added healers now via the druid. I'm just curious if this is true and is it really effective (healing via water fields, etc. was super weak at launch)? Is this healing now a full time thing...or more of a split DPS and healing (like MOBA healing classes from HOTS). I know the game lacks the trinity, and my experience was it made PVE just awful when I played years ago. So I am curious if this is still the case, or if this has changed with the expansion. If healing is viable, is it only druids that can do it? Finally, is it used in PVE, PVP, or both? Thanks!
    Last edited by warlockiii; 2016-02-21 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Healing has always been a thing, it was just never used and never needed unless you were PvPing until recently in PvE

I have a necro build based around healing and it's pretty fantastic.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Healing was very weak at launch because it scaled poorly and pve was designed around players avoiding most of the damage, so people used more damage focused builds to kill stuff faster. In HoT however, they have added very powerful healing specializations to the game and the nice they are needed in, which is raids.

Quote Originally Posted by warlockiii View Post
    I'm just curious if this is true and is it really effective (healing via water fields, etc. was super weak at launch)?
    True and somewhat effective depending on situation.

Is this healing now a full time thing...or more of a split DPS and healing (like MOBA healing classes from HOTS).
    More like a split thing. You can't really do just one thing in the game all the time.

Ff healing is viable, is it only druids that can do it? Finally, is it used in PVE, PVP, or both? Thanks!
    I don't know what ff healing is but there have always been support builds that could heal as their support. The druid is particularly orientated around that support concept. PVE and PVP both have healing support- Guild Wars 2's style of combat and gameplay have not changed.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give it a try. From what I've been able to get from google (gw2 forum search is the absolute worst), elementalist is another class that can effectively PVE heal. I think I'll start leveling ranger--and maybe try to duo an ele with my son if I can get him to play.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I've made a Guardian "Protector" and it is pretty cool.

Healing is so much fun!

10+ Year Old Account
    one of the best healers currently is druid because of how easily he can hand out constant healing, ele is also quite strong due to burst healing
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    one of the best healers currently is druid because of how easily he can hand out constant healing, ele is also quite strong due to burst healing
    Not to mention the druid literally makes your raid deal more damage thanks to the grand master trait.