Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Public marriage proposals

Hey guys,

How do you feel about public marriage proposals? I saw one today at the mall and cringed because the girl appeared to say no. If I were a girl I would say no as well.

To me... i dont need to prove the love i have for my woman to strangers... I dont need others to validate my feelings, as other people and their opinions of me are worthless to me. With that said, if other people feel the need to express their love with PDA, that is their prerogative.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a lot of pressure to put on your potential mate.

I believe some of it comes down to a large proclamation of love. He is saying that he loves the girl and doesn't care who knows it. It's also usually somewhere fairly nice, not....the mall.

Some girls might say yes not to embarrass you and then call it off the next day.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it depends on the persons. For some it works fine, others don't feel comfortable in a situation like that, or find it too forceful and reject it just out of spite. Personally, I would like to be able to publicly propose to my partner at some point - it is an experience that is probably hard to forget.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I think it's dumb, and my wife would have killed me if I did that anyway. We talked it over, decided to get married, then went to city hall two weeks later with her family and mine and paid $60. We saved a shitload of money and couldn't have been happier. Weddings are a colossal waste of money if you ask me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we take a moment to mourn the poor bastard?

There's an element of scuminess to it, even if the one proposing isn't doing it like that to pressure them. Crowds of people have, sometimes, pressured women into accepting marriage proposals or shaming them if they refused.

As if anyone but the person being proposed to is allowed to decide.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It does feel crappy to do because of the potential embarrassment from a declined offer, so if someone really wants to propose in public, I'd say do it somewhere where many people aren't likely to be, or just settle for the more intimate home setting.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Deleted
    Why do majority of people consider this kind of proposal - not necessary speaking of public proposals, but in general - a natural thing? Why would you even put on a mask and propose to your love instead of just being honest the whole time? Making a fuss out of it is even worse since from relationship's perspective you put a lot of pressure on your significant other and for other people it's like you are shouting that you are desperate which shouldn't be the case. It's almost like arguing and making up over social media - those kinds of things should just stay between the two, not involving anyone else.

It really depends on the person someone who is really shy will most likely hate that kind of marriage proposal. Others who enjoy being the center of attention would love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Can we take a moment to mourn the poor bastard?
    He brought it on himself. No sympathy. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it puts unfair pressure on your other to force them to say yes or come across as a bastard/bitch if they say no infront of a large crowd.

If you are that uncertain how the other would respond that you need to use that kind of pressure it's best to hold it off since it's going to go south anyway afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Hey guys,

How do you feel about public marriage proposals? I saw one today at the mall and cringed because the girl appeared to say no. If I were a girl I would say no as well.
    I think they are a mistake - they put pressure on the recipient and risk huge embarrassment for the organiser.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    To me... i dont need to prove the love i have for my woman to strangers... I dont need others to validate my feelings, as other people and their opinions of me are worthless to me. With that said, if other people feel the need to express their love with PDA, that is their prerogative.
    This guy, this guy speaks the truth

I an not a fan of them. They make me cringe, even when it's a fictional public proposal in a book, TV show or movie. If it's got to be in front of a bunch of people, it would make more sense to be in front of the other family (on the side of the person being proposed to) rather than strangers.

As far as showing the world you care enough to put yourself out there - that's what a huge wedding is for, and then the ring(s) on the ring finger. And social media.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Deleted
    It can be a nice show of confidence if you know he/she will say yes.

It's a dick move if you are not 100% sure.

I would never do so unless the public place was like where you first met or has some significance.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-02-21 at 12:01 PM.