Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

The censorship of conservatives on FB and Twitter got me thinking

Why is it that leftists are virulently anti-property rights and against freedom of association EXCEPT when they own and control various means of communication like FB, Twitter, message boards, etc?

"Freedom for me but not for thee" seems to be the leftist motto these days.

How, exactly, does one get censored on Facebook.

I know US conservatives have to push their persecution complex in order to make themselves feel relevant, but you'd probably get more sympathy if you dropped this "leftists are evil" garbage and recognize that it's more than just conservatives who run afoul of the hate-mobs on social media.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2016-02-21 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    Why is it that leftists are virulently anti-property rights and against freedom of association EXCEPT when they own and control various means of communication like FB, Twitter, message boards, etc?

Why are you so against the rights of those two companies to set their own policies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Why are you so against the rights of those two companies to set their own policies?
    Why are YOU against companies having the right to set their own policies when they rustle your jimmies?
    Last edited by Incredibale; 2016-02-21 at 07:45 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Nobody is arguing about rights or the law, free expression is a matter of morals and ethics.

Do you want to live in a society where you are silenced because of your political opinions?

Could Facebook delete your account because you are pro-choice or pro-life? I guess technically yes, that doesn't mean that is what ought to happen in a society that values things like freedom, speech, and debate.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-02-21 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Nobody is arguing about rights or the law, free expression is a matter of morals and ethics.

Do you want to live in a society where you are silenced because of your political opinions?

Could Facebook delete your account because you are pro-choice or pro-life? I guess technically yes, that doesn't mean that is what ought to happen in a society that values things like freedom, speech, and debate.
    This is why an issue like this becomes more and more serious as more channels of public discourse are completely dominated by private enterprise. People who support censoring certain speech will jump in and say' the constitution doesn't protect you in this case', but it isn't a question of constitutional rights, its a question of whether you want to live in a free society.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

The issue is that there isn't a conservative equivalent.

Look at other companies that publish or host things. In particular print media. A lot of them are incredibly biased, but because there's a range of views on offer you can just pick the paper that suits you.

There isn't a conservative social media platform of any significant note. Any that are vaguely neutral get called out as leftist because that's how the internet works. If you're not with us you're against us.

Honestly though, social media lets people get away with a lot. Prior to social media if you tried to find a platform for some of the stuff people post you would've gotten nowhere. Nobody would've published the stuff people come out with.
    Not even the most conservative of newspapers would touch the likes of Britain First with a bargepole, and yet they've existed on Facebook for years.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2016-02-21 at 07:59 AM.

Deleted
    Twitler and failbook have officially passed into propaganda territory now.

I don't use FB, but I have a twitler acc and will sit in the first row, sipping champagne as I watch it crash and burn.

All animals are equal but some are more equal then others.

Deleted
    Why are YOU against companies having the right to set their own policies when they rustle your jimmies?
    Because their reasons are detrminetal to natural order of things such as truth or reality.

My conservative friends on facebook constantly circulate propaganda, memes and Obama attack ads that have absolutely no basis in reality. A google search would reveal their sources as ridiculous, but why check your source when it supports your world view?

I'm willing to accept that Facebook/Twitter is left-leaning, but shouldn't intentional mis-information being put out by conservatives be deleted? It really does make your base dumber and less informed.

In fact, aren't there journalism laws meant to fight this exact thing going on?

I have to ask, what cases have you particularly annoyed? I find it extremely likely that they were "censored" because of reasons other than their political leanings. You're also not doing yourself any favors politicizing an issue without giving any supporting evidence aside from opinion.

reminds me of these forums

extreme lefties are weird people

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    reminds me of these forums

extreme lefties are weird people
    actually, all extreme people are weird and should best be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post

It's an Incredibale thread; thoughtful discussion was pretty much ruled out at the beginning. I'm just upping my post count here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    My conservative friends on facebook constantly circulate propaganda, memes and Obama attack ads that have absolutely no basis in reality. A google search would reveal their sources as ridiculous, but why check your source when it supports your world view?

I'm willing to accept that Facebook/Twitter is left-leaning, but shouldn't intentional mis-information being put out by conservatives be deleted? It really does make your base dumber and less informed.

Absolutely not given your first sentence context. You made the choice of adding those people and have the choice of deleting them, it is an environment you have reasonable control over.

However, lets say a big public billboard said "Obama was convicted of raping multiple girls", that would be a different matter. Aside from being wrong information, there is no reasonable expectation that a passerby could control the information they or their kids are exposed to.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-02-21 at 08:25 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post

If you think "misinformation" should be deleted, you don't want to live in a free society.

Spread hate and lies, get banned, cry about censorship. Rinse repeat.

For bonus points, accuse those people telling you to stop spreading hate of hating your hate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    actually, all extreme people are weird and should best be avoided.
    What if they're just extremely nice?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Spread hate and lies, get banned, cry about censorship. Rinse repeat.

For bonus points, accuse those people telling you to stop spreading hate of hating your hate.
    I don't understand the idea that people think they can just define whatever they disagree with as 'hatred' and then claim they are justified in bashing and banning people in support of that which they call 'hatred'.

I basically just automatically assume that anyone who calls somebody else a hater has no idea what they are talking about, since they obviously have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to the meaning of hatred.
    Last edited by spinner981; 2016-02-21 at 08:30 AM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlock View Post
    All animals are equal but some are more equal then others.
    Favorite Eric Arthur Blair quote.

But OT: My girlfriend has been censored on Facebook for something she posted(was poitical in nature and contained no cursing or nudity). It's the great argument of why can a company tell you what you can post on their website, but the government tells a company who it HAS to sell it's cakes to?