Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

I'm an Atheist. James is a Christian. Aziz is a Muslim....

How do these classifications give you an initial perspective of who someone is as a person? Do they not change initial perceptions? What have you done to change and alter preconceived biases toward those of various faiths?

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you taking your first sociology class in college or something?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

A big part of many people's identity comes from the fact they are atheists. It's like saying you're a vegan.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Are you taking your first sociology class in college or something?
    Labeling theory is my bet.

I assume the two people that believe in invisible wizards are morons?
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    Labeling theory is my bet.
    I mean the OP is written exactly like a short-answer homework question.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    I assume the two people that believe in invisible wizards are morons?
    I'd say that writing off groups of people that include individuals far smarter, far more wealthy, and far more influential than yourself as "morons" is a pretty moronic thing to do. I mean Bill Gates probably has all three of those up on you, and he's a devout catholic.

Buy you go and be that star-bellied sneetch.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2016-02-21 at 10:19 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Hah sorry. No no. Not a homework question. I was in college for 6 years and I tutored sociology, (although I am a biologist), I'm just curious on the responses.

I was in college for too long.... haha

I mean the OP is written exactly like a short-answer homework question.

I'd say that writing off groups of people that include individuals far smarter, far more wealthy, and far more influential than yourself as "morons" is a pretty moronic thing to do. I mean Bill Gates probably has all three of those up on you, and he's a devout catholic.

Buy you go and be that star-bellied sneetch.
    Cause money = everything is just small minded hogwash. People turn to religion because they are weak minded and scared their lives mean nothing and on a universal scale they are ants. Easily crushed at any time.

Religion is for the close minded, weak and unintelligent. He runs a company that is successful, doesn't make him better than anyone. All the money and praying in the world won't do anything in the long run of the universe.

Also just because large swathes of norons believe in a wizard in the sky doesn't make it real or ok. It makes a cancer on the human race that causes wars and has held humanity back hundreds of years. It's a stain on our history and continues to taint our populations and progress. The sooner we rid ourselves of its shit the better.
    Last edited by TheBeardedOne; 2016-02-21 at 10:27 AM.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Verzen View Post
    Hah sorry. No no. Not a homework question. I was in college for 6 years and I tutored sociology, (although I am a biologist), I'm just curious on the responses.

I was in college for too long.... haha
    Me personally? Not too much, I typically don't care. At most I'd ask them about their faith and its effects but only if I was bored, curious and wanted to start a conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they don't resort to the more stereotypical extremes of their respective choices, I don't judge people for it. If Aziz is a good man who knows how to keep his religion in check, then I don't care that he is a Muslim. Same applies to all the others.

I judge people for who they are not some social perception that's been spoon fed to me.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a first impression I generally assume religious Humans are easily duped or of a lesser intelligence to other non-religious Humans, especially if they feel the need to bring it up within a short period of knowing them, I don't feel the need to tell people my belief or lack thereof as if it is part of my identity. Depending on the Religion they follow my opinion may go down even more. Sometimes those assumptions are proven wrong but only sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of influential people who are fucking morons. Donald Trump, case closed. It helps when the majority is just about as stupid and indoctrinated from child birth.

Also, I guarantee I am one of the most wealthy people if not the most wealthy person that comes to these forums. That doesn't mean SHIT unless you're a politician and I'm buying you as far as opinions go.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Just to be fair, I'll share my dilemma. Whenever I encounter someone who's religious, I immediately think they are anti-science even though I am fully aware a large portion DO accept science. But I keep running into those who believe the earth is 6k years old or who thinks evolution is a myth which helps to sustain my bias. o.O

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bill gates is not a devout Catholic. His Wife is, he just participates because he likes the "morality" of it. Believing in a god does not make one devout.

With the person introducing themselves and two others by some identifier, I'm likely to think of them as an asshole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. I'm confronted with this literally every day, several tunes a day. I'm more likely to make judgements on your hair or footwear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Daquan Biggums View Post
    There are plenty of influential people who are fucking morons. Donald Trump, case closed. It helps when the majority is just about as stupid and indoctrinated from child birth.
    You're setting an arbitrary metric. You're saying you're better than other people because of what you believe, and not based on any sort of degree of how much you help other people, how much you know, or any thing we used to commonly denote what a "good" person is.

Like I said. Star-bellied Sneetch effect. You believe you're special for no reason other than the fact that you believe you're special.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Said in my post that wealth and power don't make your beliefs and opinions any more valid than anyone else's, but hey just cherry pick what you want to try to "prove" a point. Religious people seem to be excellent at that.

But, regardless, I don't care if you choose to believe something because it makes you feel better. I care when you try to force those beliefs on everyone else through legislation, condemnation, and threats of violence. Which ALL religions are guilty of.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2016-02-21 at 10:41 AM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    Cause money = everything is just small minded hogwash. People turn to religion because they are weak minded and scared their lives mean nothing and on a universal scale they are ants. Easily crushed at any time.

Religion is for the close minded, weak and unintelligent. He runs a company that is successful, doesn't make him better than anyone. All the money and praying in the world won't do anything in the long run of the universe.
    He's a self-made billionaire that developed the most powerful software company in the world, in many ways integral to the very functioning of the world today, and runs an international humanitarian project.

Do you do any of that?

Perhaps you should examine yourself before judging others. What metric makes you more intelligent, successful, or enlightened than him? If you're claiming all religious people, which he is, are morons, obviously you've some sort of appreciable metric at which you excel beyond all of them.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I guess I'd be curious as to why the subject of these three guys faiths came up at all.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig