Missed oportunity in WoD? Velen/KJ

This is just a random though i had while playing, and listening to one of Nobble's lore videos in the background.

I know most people dislike the idea of an alternative universe taking plase in the past, but..

what if they had made it, so that in this alternative universe, it was Kil'Jaeden, and not Velen, who had refused the powers of Sargeras, and fled Argus with the Draenei? The idea itself sounds weird, i know. But it would have given us an idea of who and what Kil'Jaeden was before he turned in to the demon that we know today. How things would have turned out deffirently. And what Velen would be like, had he accepted the "gift" of Sargeras.

of couse, this would fuck up the "alternative legions" thing, so it's a stupid idea, i know. I would just personaly like to see how KJ and archi was before Sargeras, and how Velen would have been had he accepted him.

Quote Originally Posted by Garkanh View Post
    This is just a random though i had while playing, and listening to one of Nobble's lore videos in the background.

I know most people dislike the idea of an alternative universe taking plase in the past, but..

what if they had made it, so that in this alternative universe, it was Kil'Jaeden, and not Velen, who had refused the powers of Sargeras, and fled Argus with the Draenei? The idea itself sounds weird, i know. But it would have given us an idea of who and what Kil'Jaeden was before he turned in to the demon that we know today. How things would have turned out deffirently. And what Velen would be like, had he accepted the "gift" of Sargeras.

of couse, this would fuck up the "alternative legions" thing, so it's a stupid idea, i know. I would just personaly like to see how KJ and archi was before Sargeras, and how Velen would have been had he accepted him.
    It wouldn't work like that, because if Kil'Jaeden refuses Sargeras or Velen accepts him, then their characters are too fundamentally different for such a story to provide any insight into the characters of Velen and Kil'Jaeden Prime. They'd have to be completely different people to make such different, character defining choices.
    Last edited by Cooper; 2016-02-22 at 10:45 AM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    WoD was one big missed oportunity through-and-fucking-through...

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    WoD was one big missed oportunity through-and-fucking-through...

this

/10char

I still want some explanation as to how exactly the many legions interpretation works. Why are there 2 Velens but only one Archimonde? Or are there many Archimondes and our Archimonde specifically requested to be sent in to fight us again?
    Some reason for him entering the twisting nether to fight us so we could kill him would also be nice.

Deleted
    The fate of Velen, archimonde and Kiljaedem happened several millennia before Garrosh and Kairoz altered the timeline of Drainor. No reason Velen and Archimonde should swap morality at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, seeing an AU where Velen and KJ swapped places would be very interesting. No, it wouldn't have worked for what was being done with WOD. The whole point of WOD is that it is an AU that is very similar to ours, where the only meaningful difference (before Garrosh went there and changed things) was that the planet wasn't corrupted, due to Rulkan still being alive, so that we could see what Draenor used to look like before it got fel corrupted and blown up.

In our timeline, KJ impersonated Rulkan's spirit and tricked Ner'zhul into attacking the Draenei and converting most shamans into warlocks, which severely corrupted the planet. In the WOD timeline, Rulkan was still alive, so KJ contacted Gul'dan instead. The orcs in general didn't trust Gul'dan, so his "warnings" about the Draenei went unheeded, and the few warlocks were Gul'dan's followers, so the planet is still mostly pristine.

An AU where KJ and Velen swapped places would still be very interesting, but I don't think it would've worked in WOD, as the intent was to explore our Draenor's past, meaning AU Draenor couldn't be too different, and them swapping places would've made it too different. It would be a neat idea to explore in a short story or novel though.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    I still want some explanation as to how exactly the many legions interpretation works. Why are there 2 Velens but only one Archimonde? Or are there many Archimondes and our Archimonde specifically requested to be sent in to fight us again?
    Some reason for him entering the twisting nether to fight us so we could kill him would also be nice.
    I don't believe there is only "one Legion", regardless of the drunken tweets Blizzard puts out saying that. Saying the twisting nether transcends realities is one thing (after all, since we went to Draenor and can portal back and forth, it's obvious that it does). But the whole reason Kairoz went there is because he wanted to create an infinite army, pulled from various AU's. The whole "one demon" thing falls apart, because Archimonde and KJ used to be regular Eredar just like Velen. And as you described, due to the nature of infinity, there would be an AU where KJ and Velen swapped places. Did their AU selves just poof out of existence when one of them became a demon? Makes no sense whatsoever. Blizzard needs to keep drunk people from making lore posts on Twitter.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2016-02-22 at 01:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garkanh View Post

I'd have loved If they delivered on their promises of giving us the land that we know as Netherstorm, and back on Dreanor as Farahlon, meeting more of the Laughing skull tribes, meeting more orcs than the ones we got already, getting more knowledge of general orcish culture and traditions, as well as more ogre lore perhaps or other. I just feel we didnt get enough orc lore or explenations. And I doubt they added more In Tanaan, not that I'd know being banned on wow... I'm looking at you Blizz, banning the innocent.