Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    No. There are no literal pigs in my family. Not in any family, I'd wager.
    what about a family of pigs?

not really. i mean, i myself don't wash dishes, but i do other things. me and everything that belongs to me, i keep confined to my room, because i don't enjoy much social interaction. my clothing doesn't leave my room unless it's to be washed, especially my underwear.

Deleted
    Literally pigs? How would that work? No, if you fuck a pig noone will get pregnant from that. That's not how it works.

On topic: My brother acts a little like that but not to that extreme. More like; leave just a bit of milk in the bag so he doesn't have to throw it out, I doubt he is still doing that in his own flat though. he's not big on cleaning his own flat either but that's his problem.
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2016-02-22 at 01:21 PM.

I used to behave that way, but now I live alone so I have to do everything.

No one in my family is a pig, but we eat a lot pigs, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Which dictionary holds this definition? The Urban Dictionary?
    Webster and Oxford

You either don't want to be a hobo-trashcan-man living in filth, or you clean up your act.

Some people do. Some people don't.

I think being proud of your space is important. I want to be proud of it when I am at home by myself, I want to be proud of it when I have company and I definitely want to be proud of my space if I have a pretty lady over.

It's the difference between being an adult and a child. The cool part is, there is no age limit. Start early.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Which dictionary holds this definition? The Urban Dictionary?
    Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary. Don't be fooled by the "new" in the title, we bought this one 29 years ago. Anyway!

Literally
    3. Virtually : used as an intensive, in a sense opposite to sense. 1. As he literally flew in to the room: regarded by many as an erroneous usage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    No one in my family is a pig, but we eat a lot pigs, does that count?
    We are what we eat, so, I guess, yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Are you Jaime Redknapp?

Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    But there are two definitions. You don't get to pick and choose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    But there are two definitions. You don't get to pick and choose.
    Yes we do.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Literally
    3. Virtually : used as an intensive, in a sense opposite to sense. 1. As he literally flew in to the room: regarded by many as an erroneous usage.

No. I do have people in my family that are literally dogs though. They're very cute and fun.

Literally can now be used metaphorically, despite the irony. Welcome to English and how it evolves.

Welcome to English, where literally literally does not mean literally. Enjoy your stay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Uh, my great-uncle owned a farm that had literally pigs on it...

And literally horses!
    I a friend told me that her cousin told here about this guy who had literate horses in hes farm! And a few illiterate pigs.

But OT, dont clean up after her, just take all the dirty stuff she leaves lying around to her room and if your dad actually supports that kind of behavior and has double standards, well, dont clean up after yourself either, set your foot down. He will change hes tune after a while if hes the only one cleaning up after everyone, every day.

Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    Literally can now be used metaphorically, despite the irony. Welcome to English and how it evolves.
    Next Irony will mean coincidence. I am literally not looking forward to that (CURSE YOU ALANIS MORISSETTE!).

I don't have problems with words evolving, usually anyway. It's just that in the case of literally, being used ironically somehow bothers me. I do not really know why. I recognize the definition, I just hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Next Irony will mean coincidence. I am literally not looking forward to that (CURSE YOU ALANIS MORISSETTE!).

I don't have problems with words evolving, usually anyway. It's just that in the case of literally, being used ironically somehow bothers me. I do not really know why. I recognize the definition, I just hate it.
    Yeah normally I don't care either. But this is kind of a really weird butchery that we'll probably end up having to accept.

I wager this is how a lot of words attract their multiple definitions though.

Especially when you consider that dictionaries are only documentations they don't actually create the rules.
    Last edited by RapBreon; 2016-02-22 at 02:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be physically impossible for someone in my family to be a literal pig because everyone in my family is human. Though my mom did grow up on a farm and they had pigs, but I don't think that quite counts as "family."