New Half-Life game : Prospekt. Opposing force sequel (February 2016)

So if you have been living in a cave, under a leaf or something like that, a new Half-life game has been released.

No, it's not Half-Life 3, it's Opposing Force sequel. Developed by a Half-life fan, Valve approved and costs $10 on Steam.

My initial reactions? It's better than I thought. I had lowered my expectations due to initial negative review on PC Gamer, but it's good. Maybe not as good as the initial Opposing force, but it's still good.

Deleted
    First two negative reviews pretty much scream at me to stay away from it... or at least not to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zvezdichko View Post
    Developed by a Half-life fan
    You should have probably included that in your title.

Developed by a Half-life fan
    /thread

Nothing to see here but a lame mod that valve is trying to make a buck off of.

I'm currently playing it and it's not that lame as you may think. It's slightly worse than Episode 1/2. But only slightly.

Deleted
    Reviews say:

"Substantial, highly-polished and totally new addition to the Half-Life 2 universe, comparable to Half-Life 2: Episode One in length ----> According to what I saw on youtube videos, some guys really rushed this in an hour but if you play it at a normal pace it'll take at least 4 hours.

Developed by one person, 25 year old Richard Seabrook ----> This is good for just a person, but...

Official Valve approval for Half-Life 2 license and assets ----> ...obviously you couldn't use what you've given exactly right, no offence.

Standalone PC game built using the Source engine - no requirement for Half-Life 2 ----> Oh, thank god.

Continues the story of Opposing Force, Gearbox Software’s (Borderlands) update that tells the original Half-Life 2 story from the perspective of the Marines. ----> Actually it does tell nothing, seriously.This is the most heartbreaking part of the game.

Gordon Freeman is cornered and being overrun by soldiers in the Nova Prospekt prison; the player controls US Marine Adrian Shephard - the unsung hero - as he’s teleported in by Freeman’s Vortigaunt allies to help fight back. ----> OK.

13 new levels featuring fully-scripted puzzles and action sequences, all carefully integrated into the Half-Life 2 story ----> Seriously, there are no puzzles or anything close to them.And those blue, moving, laser parts later in the game made me wanna kill myself.In addition, there's nothing integrated into the Half-Life 2 story.

Substantial graphical updates over the original game, including but not limited to:
    -New Textures
    -New Models
    -Updated high resolution Combine soldier skins with improved normal mapping
    -Updated high resolution textures
    -Updated lighting
    -Higher resolution models
    -Increased cube mapping
    -Over 20 new particle effects
    -Modded HUD
    -Modded VGUI
    -New player model skin
    ----> Nothing looks new, if there were any changes, I'm pretty sure I'd see it. (If we compare it to Black Mesa Source, we can see a lot of changes for example)
    Return to Xen ----> That... is not even Xen.
    New voice acting ----> OK, this was OK.
    New music ----> Music was OK.
    New AI improvements, such as soldiers attempting to undo the player’s actions ----> I saw this only at the end of the game.That's all.I'm not gonna spoil it, don't worry.
    "

Guy played it 7 hours, game is supposedly 3-4 hours long.
    Trailer doesn't look good either. rooms seem awful, this is most likely not worth more than a $. Worst part about it seems like the rooms have barely any cover and enemies have increased HP. Why?
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-02-22 at 09:28 PM.

I don't know what you think, guys, but I love it.

The new Combine station in Low Earth Orbit is gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    Yeh cus fans cant make anything.

Counter strike was made by a half life fan then bought by valve. If i remember so was l4d? And garys mod is made by a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post

Counter strike was made by a half life fan then bought by valve. If i remember so was l4d? And garys mod is made by a fan.
    Half Life: Counterstrike was absolute shit though and nobody cared about it, it was valve liking the vision and hiring the guy who made it, putting a full team behind it that made Counter Strike and made it a great game.

L4D was made by Turtle Rock studios... not a random fan.

Fans can have a great vision, they likely won't make a great game though. It will usually be an unpolished mod and certainly not something that should be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post

"Let me hold up these three examples of quality and ignore the countless absolute dog shit out there! This proves... somehow... that someone doesn't need to mention it's a fan mod in the topic title when they make a topic about a NEW HALF-LIFE GAME!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    "Let me hold up these three examples of quality and ignore the countless absolute dog shit out there! This proves... somehow... that someone doesn't need to mention it's a fan mod in the topic title when they make a topic about a NEW HALF-LIFE GAME!"
    Oh, the Dunning–Kruger effect in action, I know...

A mod is an addition for a currently installed game.

This is a game and it's downloaded as a stand-alone software.

You know damn well exactly what people are going to think when they're told there's a new Half-Life game.

This isn't it.

Deleted
    So if you have been living in a cave, under a leaf or something like that, a new Half-life game has been released.
    LOL, yeah, some fan makes a Half Life mod and if you haven't heard of it, you must be living under a rock ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    intentional bait title.

And to OP - I live in a cave, so what? Don't be a cavist

10+ Year Old Account
    Made by a fan. No wonder I've not heard of it before. And looking at the reviews in steam, I don't need to hear from it again, I'm afraid.

10+ Year Old Account

What does any of that have to do with the Dunning-Kruger Effect?

I don't know what you think, guys, but I love it.

The new Combine station in Low Earth Orbit is gorgeous!

I'll give it that it looks good. I'll look into it, for sure. I was really impressed by the pre-Xen chapters of Black Mesa from playing the mod version, and am definitely buying that game when it comes out fully.

Worst case scenario I'll probably buy this when it's massively on sale. No rush.

edit: Still keeping it at the bottom of my wishlist, but after seeing some gameplay of it I'm less eager (significantly more reused assets than the screenshots make it look like). It'd be more OK if this was released as a free mod. Something like Nightmare House 2 or They Hunger for HL2 and 1 respectively I would've been more willing to pay for.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-02-24 at 11:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

False, a mod is an altercation of the original source code.

This is using the same engine HL2 runs on, the same source code and the same assets. It's a mod.

You're like someone who would argue Blood Dragon wasn't DLC just because it was sold as stand alone, even though it is clearly DLC to FC3.