10+ Year Old Account

Mitt Romney the 2016 Presidential nominee?

With so much animosity between Donald Trump and the GOP establishment, a contentious brokered convention could be in the works for the Republican party. Several scenarios on how this could happen have been crafted, despite Donald Trump’s sweeping victories in New Hampshire and South Carolina. MSNBC reported Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus has already answered questions about the situation, quoting the GOP executive as being prepared for the situation such as a brokered convention.

“Planning can mean a lot of things. We’re prepared for anything. I was general counsel for two years before I was chairman of this party, I’ve been chairman for six years. I don’t think there are too many people that are more familiar with the procedures of nominating someone at a convention than I am,” Priebus told George Stephanopoulos. “So I’m prepared, and we will be prepared if that happens, but again, I don’t think that’s going to be the case. If it did, then of course, obviously, it would be pretty historic. But we’ll be ready.”

Click bait.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    What the fuck does this have to do with Mitt Romney?
    If there's a brokered convention, there's talk of nominating Mitt Romney. They don't actually have to nominate someone who is running.

definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there really? I went to the Googlemobile and all it found was mention of a few hopelessly desperate people who want Romney to run, despite repeated insistence that he's not taking part in the 2016 election.
    Not to mention Paul Ryan explicitly saying that if a brokered convention were to occur, only those candidates in the running would be considered.

But what would the Speaker of the House know about the plans of the party he leads?

Is there really? I went to the Googlemobile and all it found was mention of a few hopelessly desperate people who want Romney to run, despite repeated insistence that he's not taking part in the 2016 election.
    I've seen a few commentators talk about it. I don't think it's serious, but it's one of the possibilities with a brokered convention. The more mainstream thinking is that with a brokered convention, Rubio will walk out with the nomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thogwar View Post
    I've seen a few commentators talk about it. I don't think it's serious, but it's one of the possibilities with a brokered convention. The more mainstream thinking is that with a brokered convention, Rubio will walk out with the nomination.
    Not if his hard drive keeps crashing on stage, he won't.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What the fuck does this have to do with Mitt Romney?
    It doesn't.

But hey, oppurtunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Thogwar View Post
    If there is a brokered convention with Rubio involved he will almost certainly be the nominee. However if something crazy happens like a brokered convention between Trump, Cruz and Carson (With Carson only having a few delegates but stubbornly refusing to drop. Which might be the case, seeing how he is still not giving up.) I can see the GOP establishment reconsider their options. But they would probably still decide for Cruz or Trump because otherwise the fallout with their base would be too ugly.

He refused to run so I can't see why he would accept the nomination.

I don't know why the Republicans don't want Trump. He's everything they stand for. Cutting taxes on them and their rich buddies, and raising taxes on the Middle Class. Which Trump will do, because he's worth 4 billion.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the GOP wants to lose, they can nominate Mittens.

They have a better chance with Trump.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results
    This is correct. However, it really says something when insanity is preferred over Donald Trump.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    If the GOP wants to lose, they can nominate Mittens.

They have a better chance with Trump.
    I think you're overestimating his chances of success and even if this election is a lost cause there's something to be said for long term strategy and convincing people your candidates aren't god awful. George W, McCain/Palin, Romney now Trump. It's a bad precedent when those are the people you're fielding.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know the point of voting if they just nominate someone anyways.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose