Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

"No new content for a year, I quit!"

First of all, no this is NOT an "I quit" thread. I already quit long long ago, but I still read the forums to know when the new/next expansion comes and to see if I'll be coming back.

Now that the disclaimer is done...

I basically have two questions to the community:

#1. There is this phenomenon around WOW/MMOs that people feel the need to advertise they are quitting. Can someone explain that (why) to me?

#2. Why do people in MMOs people feel the need for constant new content? In othergames this is not expected or needed (X-COM for example, has great replay value), isn't the point in MMOs to just roll a new character and re-experience the world again as a new class/role once you have completed it?

Deleted
    1. Because everyone on the internet likes to think they are special little snow flakes.

2. Because the game is 10+ years old and most people already got 11+ char's that experienced it all. That would mean that ran out of content that would like to do and are screaming, kicking and begging for more seeing WoW is their lifeblood.

You're welcome.

1. People like to think their opinion has value, and to some extent it does.

2. WoW is an RPG. It's about character progression. No new content = character doesn't progress. They're not designed to be 2 hour games you repeat till you can't anymore, but take dozens of hours to do the main game on your character and possibly hundreds more to do all the side stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

7+ Year Old Account
    Yea it's the kid mentality, "give me what I want otherwise i'm gonna cry like a baby." Sadly Blizzard listens to those people too much....

1. snowflakes

2. xcom2 is what 30ish hours? eventually you get bored, after 1 2 3 playthroughs. people play wow for hundreds of hours. It should be pretty obvious why people want new shit to do in game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    2. Because the game is 10+ years old and most people already got 11+ char's that experienced it all.
    Holy! That is some serious no lifing there... At my prime, when I should be studying but was actually playing WOW the whole day the most I could handle was 6 ~ 7 chars.

Quote Originally Posted by User007 View Post
    Holy! That is some serious no lifing there... At my prime, when I should be studying but was actually playing WOW the whole day the most I could handle was 6 ~ 7 chars.
    Given you can get a character to 100 in under 24 hours /played, spread out over 10 years (and 1 of those characters being free to 90, 1 free to 100 as well if they bought legion already) - it doesn't seem that severe. Sure it used to take longer, but past wrath not severely so.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    I got 12 char's at 100 and I don't even like alts. Only leveled them for professions and garrisons to make gold.
    That being said I am not one of those people begging for new content, I take a break as soon as I feel like I done all I want to do and go play other games like Diablo3, League of Legends or even old strategy games like settlers, Age of Empires etc.

Deleted
    Adult me is still wondering how anyone can still play this shit game (WoW) :^)

If Netflix announced that they were going to add no new content for a year, how many subscribers do you think they'd have left at the end of that?

It's all about that subscription fee. No content is fine for Diablo 3. There's no fee there. Other games too. If you want more content for Fallout 4 or something, you can buy it though DLC.

But we're already paying for content, and it's not being delivered. It's like buying a DLC season pass, and then finding that they're not even releasing any DLC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people like their discontent to be know and believe something might change if enough people do it, basically you overlooked the whole purpose why people go on strike for example or just protest in general.

Because mmo's have a longer life span than single player games, so new content is needed to keep things fresh and interesting. A lot of the PvE encounters are also not random but follow a certain pattern and so have a specific counter, unlike xcom where elements have a specific counter in the game/map you play but due to randomization of those elements you still have to think of different ways to counter it.

This is also true to a point in PvP in mmo's after a while if you play a lot you know how to play a map and want something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartuck View Post
    and everyone else is wondering why an adult such as yourself feels the need to visit a forum for a game you evidently don't and aren't going to play.

#1. There is this phenomenon around WOW/MMOs that people feel the need to advertise they are quitting. Can someone explain that (why) to me?
    Most likely people do not want to quit, they want things to get better. And if they advertise that they are quitting and why they are quitting that might have an impact.

#2. Why do people in MMOs people feel the need for constant new content? In othergames this is not expected or needed (X-COM for example, has great replay value), isn't the point in MMOs to just roll a new character and re-experience the world again as a new class/role once you have completed it?
    I don't think that's necessarily true. People want lasting content, especially when they are paying a monthly subscription. If they get 2 months of content for a 12 month subscription that's not really fair. Granted you can always stop subscribing but since WoW in particular did not have this problem until wrath of the lich king people want the old design philosophy back. Todays WoW is a product of the era in which we live, which means the content is very quickly consumed, so quick in fact that there's no way for the developers to keep pushing out new content at a reasonable pace. The development time today versus let's say vanilla or TBC isn't necessarily that much different, but the pace in which we consume the content has radically changed. We have level boosts, very fast levelling, catchup mechanics and content that's really very hard to fail at doing. It's not until you get into raiding things start to ramp up a bit.

In an MMORPG the experience is really about the journey, not the destination. It's not a loot centric or action packed fast paced genre like ARPGs for example. In later years MMORPGs, or at least WoW have started moving more toward the ARPG mindset where you blow through mobs at high speed and pick up gear left and right, which is really not what the genre is about. The MMORPG experience would be something more like Skyrim where you slowly gain more power through questing and crafting and spend time joining guilds and experiencing the world where the main story line is really a very tiny piece of the puzzle, but unlike Skyrim you should never become so powerful that everything just becomes trivial at some point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartuck View Post
    You are not an adult mate.

Edit: as for evidence:

"You should be careful who you're selling to. I always sold my gold to the botting industry itself, they ran way more clients than I did anyway. But the money was fast and no problems existed."

" have you ever been victim of a crime?
    by Bartuck Replies154 Views9,051
    Yes. Mind-enhancing substances are being sold to me on a regular basis."

Gold selling, botting, doing drugs.

Speaks for itself

Anyway the difference between wow and Xcom 2 is that you pay for wow on a monthly basis. There is absolutely no reason to pay for a game on a monthly basis if it doesnt keep expanding and developing.
    Last edited by mmocfe2bab4c21; 2016-02-23 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    Yea it's the kid mentality, "give me what I want otherwise i'm gonna cry like a baby." Sadly Blizzard listens to those people too much....
    Blizzard listens to people demanding more content, and decides it's a good business decision to release more content? Making money and retaining playerbase?

Damn, I'm so glad they don't actually do that. The game would such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    First of all, no this is NOT an "I quit" thread. I already quit long long ago, but I still read the forums to know when the new/next expansion comes and to see if I'll be coming back.

Now that the disclaimer is done...

I basically have two questions to the community:

#1 Because it has emotional value to them and they want to express that.

#2 Didn't you always want new toys as a kid, no matter how many you already had?
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    If Netflix announced that they were going to add no new content for a year, how many subscribers do you think they'd have left at the end of that?

It's all about that subscription fee. No content is fine for Diablo 3. There's no fee there. Other games too. If you want more content for Fallout 4 or something, you can buy it though DLC.

But we're already paying for content, and it's not being delivered. It's like buying a DLC season pass, and then finding that they're not even releasing any DLC.
    Although I want to go with this comparison, it is inherently flawed. Netflix is simply a means of distribution of content, Netflix themselves don't produce any (barring some netflix exclusives) content, all of it is from television networks and independent filmmakers.

That would be like saying, "If Valve stopped releasing content on Steam..."

Quote Originally Posted by lolbubble View Post
    Although I want to go with this comparison, it is inherently flawed. Netflix is simply a means of distribution of content, Netflix themselves don't produce any (barring some netflix exclusives) content, all of it is from television networks and independent filmmakers.

That would be like saying, "If Valve stopped releasing content on Steam..."
    Your example is a lot further off given there's no subscription for steam. If you paid for access (like you do with netflix) and htey stopped getting new titles; yes that would be an issue and people would stop subscribing. Yes netflix has to keep getting new titles to keep people interested (and balance cost/value of titles)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Or if they released 3 episode seasons one year with the motivation that they were working on awesome seasons for next year, which also turned out to be 3 episode seasons, but NEXT year!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Anyway the difference between wow and Xcom 2 is that you pay for wow on a monthly basis. There is absolutely no reason to pay for a game on a monthly basis if it doesnt keep expanding and developing.
    Touché! Yes, I did not consider this aspect. There are several games with online modes that do not require a monthly subscription fee (Starcraft 2 for example).

Many relevant and interesting points in this thread... speed of content consumption, monthly fees, mmorpg > arpg shift.

Food for thought. Thank you all for your input.