Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by User007 View Post
    #1. There is this phenomenon around WOW/MMOs that people feel the need to advertise they are quitting. Can someone explain that (why) to me?
    Writing a post in which one sums up the problems one has with the game is a nice way to rationalize, or justify to oneself, the decision to quit.

Note also that unlike most other games, MMOs often involve groups of people with which one interacts on a regular and perhaps even scheduled basis. It's also common courtesy to not just leave and keep everyone guessing as to what happened.

#2. Why do people in MMOs people feel the need for constant new content?
    Because they're paying a monthly subscription fee and see preciously little in return.

Other big MMOs have shown a monthly fee is not necessary to maintain the hardware infrastructure of the game.

... isn't the point in MMOs to just roll a new character and re-experience the world again as a new class/role once you have completed it?
    Maybe at one point it was, and I've certainly played my fair share of characters. But if you combine a variety of changes such as much easier levelling, much quicker levelling, much more homogenized classes, and the fact that some parts of the game are at least nine, if not eleven years, old it should be little surprise why starting new characters has lost most of its appeal to people who've been around for a while.

Deleted
    Touché! Yes, I did not consider this aspect. There are several games with online modes that do not require a monthly subscription fee (Starcraft 2 for example).

Many relevant and interesting points in this thread... speed of content consumption, monthly fees, mmorpg > arpg shift.

Food for thought. Thank you all for your input.
    You didnt really get my point mate.

Its not that there is an online mode.

Yoy pay monthly, because they keep releasing new content. If they stop making new content people stop paying for it.

Its the difference between subscription based games and buy2play games.

There are some overlappers like for example Guild wars 2. It survives on in game purchases and a small developer crew. And it JUST survives.

Coming to think of it wow is one of the only games being played in the west with a subscription model that actually works.

First of all, no this is NOT an "I quit" thread. I already quit long long ago, but I still read the forums to know when the new/next expansion comes and to see if I'll be coming back.

Now that the disclaimer is done...

I basically have two questions to the community:

#1. There is this phenomenon around WOW/MMOs that people feel the need to advertise they are quitting. Can someone explain that (why) to me?

#2. Why do people in MMOs people feel the need for constant new content? In othergames this is not expected or needed (X-COM for example, has great replay value), isn't the point in MMOs to just roll a new character and re-experience the world again as a new class/role once you have completed it?
    Skipping 1, answering just 2:

Because I thought WoW is a game that I could play all the time. That's a big part of why I played WoW to begin with - constant updates, ever-growing world, etc. Heck, they charge for a sub. I get that the blues will say that a sub pays for access to servers or whatever - I don't care about what they or anyone else will think about that, I am paying a sub because of new content including through the life of expansions, in big (and small) patches.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    If Netflix announced that they were going to add no new content for a year, how many subscribers do you think they'd have left at the end of that?

It's all about that subscription fee. No content is fine for Diablo 3. There's no fee there. Other games too. If you want more content for Fallout 4 or something, you can buy it though DLC.

But we're already paying for content, and it's not being delivered. It's like buying a DLC season pass, and then finding that they're not even releasing any DLC.
    Damn had to log in for the first time in years to answer.
    That is damn well said my man

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they've shoved everyone into max-level content and made the previous 10+ years of content completely irrelevant. They catered to the entitled and impatient crowd, so now everyone else has to suffer for that decision.

Actually, the previous years of content do have a purpose - it's what new players can go back to during the content droughts and then use the argument against veterans "there's still plenty to do in the game."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamohn View Post
    Because they've shoved everyone into max-level content and made the previous 10+ years of content completely irrelevant. They catered to the entitled and impatient crowd, so now everyone else has to suffer for that decision.

Actually, the previous years of content do have a purpose - it's what new players can go back to during the content droughts and then use the argument against veterans "there's still plenty to do in the game."
    How did they cater to the entitled and impatient crowd?

Deleted
    Everybody is self-entitled, forgetting they're playing a game that's over a decade old and can't come to grips with them getting bored of the game. I guess moving on isn't what people do best...

First of all, no this is NOT an "I quit" thread. I already quit long long ago, but I still read the forums to know when the new/next expansion comes and to see if I'll be coming back.

#2. Why do people in MMOs people feel the need for constant new content? In othergames this is not expected or needed (X-COM for example, has great replay value), isn't the point in MMOs to just roll a new character and re-experience the world again as a new class/role once you have completed it?
    Why do you write this posting and why would we care about that you think about the topic?
    The answer you now give is the same you can give to your first question.

Answer to question 2: Themepark MMORPGs can be played until you reached every goal. Since the endgame in WoW leads to PVP and Raids you are done once you have reached the warlord title of the season or have BiS full set. Then you are done with the game and need new content. It's different with Sandbox MMORPGs, but WoW is no Sandbox MMO.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

1) Sometimes you've had enough and you want to vent some rage, your so pissed off that you don't care who hears it . best place? here? :P

Tbh as stupid as it sounds i think mmo-champ needs a sub forum called "leaving the game" at least then if you want quit then post it in here... but there are rules posting in here... no swearing no trolling the usual rules and could follow a certain template

-=-
    Main class

How long you have played wow

What you love about the game

Reason for leaving (were the problem lies)

Suggestions for Improvement (blizz don't have the right idea... maybe you do?)
    -=-

It would kind of act like a collective feed back system, how i see it is i want to know what my games flaws are. look at the people leaving and their reasons, if u have a sub forum purely dedicated to feedback then you can easily read what the collective problem is or if its something small that people have over looked, listen to the people , for we are the ones playing it no?

I know most will say its a waste of time or a silly idea but for me id rather have some were to vent some rage (diplomatically) its not all about snowflakes, sometimes you just need to know someone else is going through the same shit you are

Just a thought
    Peace <3

edit

yes im aware we got a forum already :P .. but a sub-forum for i quiters :P - keep them all in one place and in one format
    Last edited by Whitehatter; 2016-02-23 at 12:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    How did they cater to the entitled and impatient crowd?
    Simplistic and quick levelling, coupled with max. level catch-up mechanics that bring everyone to the iLevel recommended to start the latest raid instance makes it possible to be ready to raid the latest instances within what is a very short time, especially compared to how WoW was a couple of years ago.

Deleted

1. I think it's good actually. It should especially be good for Blizzard since if they don't know why players are leaving it will be hard to know what to change in order to bring players back. Also, if not several people announced they left WoD because of flying, Blizzard wouldn't have change their minds on the feature (at least for this expansion, too soon to tell about Legion).

2. Wow is an old game, people already have an army of alts. If you like the game and if it's the game you prefer playing you want content updates, and it's fun with new content and exciting with new patches to look forward to. It's not fun logging in and jumping around in capital city because you feel like there is nothing to do. There's always old content, but if players don't feel like doing it because reasons (not in their flavour, they did it trillion times before) they won't do it. It's their game time so why spend it on things they think are boring just because they want to play the game? If you think about it again you understand what I mean right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    if not several people announced they left WoD because of flying, Blizzard wouldn't have change their minds on the feature
    I'll never be able to wrap my head around that one. Sure flying is convenient but if there's nothing to fly to how can it be such a big issue? But yeah I see what you mean.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    I'll never be able to wrap my head around that one. Sure flying is convenient but if there's nothing to fly to how can it be such a big issue? But yeah I see what you mean.
    Very easy, I been playing this game for 11 years now and don't give a shit about landscapes and hills and cliffs.
    I want to get my stuff done and then move on to the next bit.
    Having to run around a cliff for 20 min is not fun or "immersive" for me.

I want to fly over it in 1 min, do my shit, fly back and get my reward and move on.

No flying = no sub, feck it.

I giggle every time when people complain about no content when the vast majority of them haven't killed M Archimonde for example. Their is content to do, I can understand that you're not interested into Mythic raiding, or whatever, but don't say their isn't any content in the game when you haven't completed everything...

Theirs is no content that interests you left to do, Fine.

But their is content.

MMO's used to be notoriously slow and grindy, which also meant that you never ran out of content.

In vanilla it took the average player several months to level to cap, and in that several months blizzard continued to make and implement more content. Most people were constantly playing on a backlog of content, which meant there was always something new to do because you progressed very slowly.

Fast forward to today and they've streamlined the game in the name of accessibility to the point where even the most casual of players can be done in a few weeks. MMORPG's tend to not be designed in such a way that they have much replayability, so when you piss through the content in a few weeks and run out... you have nothing you care about doing.

They set the precedent that we always have new content constantly coming out, and then created a game where even the most casual of players progress through the content faster than they can produce it. So its not really strange that people run out of things to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kibô View Post
    when the vast majority of them haven't killed M Archimonde for example.
    Blizzard doesn't design raid difficulties in that way. They have 0 expectations of a F&F guild doing mythic, they created normal for them to have their own slice of content.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

"I quit" shouldn't be used as a threat. Its an unhealthy relationship to try and play WoW for ten years straight. I've taken many breaks, especially at the end of the expansion. Nothing wrong with it. I'l guarantee Blizzard that I will resup to at least try their next xpacs. The better it is the longer I stay subbed.

Because we all love WoW and most of us are addicted (myself included). It pains us to see the game in the state that its in and then realizing Legion is 4-7 more months away. We just want Blizzard to give us our moneys worth because we're bored and addicted.

People get pissed off and feel they are owed more and better. They dump a lot of time and money into something and when it comes time to quit they start realizing other ways they could have used it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

......isn't xcom replayable because it's heavily modable? Did I imagine that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kibô View Post
    I giggle every time when people complain about no content when the vast majority of them haven't killed M Archimonde for example. Their is content to do, I can understand that you're not interested into Mythic raiding, or whatever, but don't say their isn't any content in the game when you haven't completed everything...

Theirs is no content that interests you left to do, Fine.

But their is content.
    Ugh. No busywork, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Blizzard doesn't design raid difficulties in that way. They have 0 expectations of a F&F guild doing mythic, they created normal for them to have their own slice of content.
    So when they kill Normal Archimonde they can keep progressing up the ladder and do Heroic, then Mythic... What's the problem there? They can choose not to progress past Normal Archimonde which is perfectly fine, people play the game how they want to, but theirs still content they haven't done.

Which is why they shouldn't bash the game for having no content but rather say theirs no more content they are interested in doing.