Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    i do agree about vanilla being enjoyable...

heck, private vanilla servers are still very much so.

i mean.... private servers are bad.

anyways...

900g in 3 weeks ????...LOL... not gonna happen... this dude is either making his vanilla experience up, or doesnt actually remember it
    If you farmed in ungoro completely possible. And this is Kungen in the video...guy had the best guild in the world for a very, very long time.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    May I ask, then what was 'all that shit' that you could do, back in vanilla, that you can't do today?
    well you cant have a quiver on your back as a hunter but thats all i can think of

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh christ not this again... seriously this is getting stupid now

Hunter| Warlock | Shaman | Paladin
    "In the light.. We are one"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaelian View Post
    Oh christ not this again... seriously this is getting stupid now
    its not getting stupid now its been stupid for a while

Not a big fan of Kungen but I can't help but agree with most of what he said.

He has some specific good points in there, but you have to cherry pick them from in-between the hyperbole and generally inflammatory comments / assumptions he makes that are extremely off base.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Deleted
    I'm really, really, Really, REALLY, REALLY getting tired of this "how vanilla was 3560352063562 times better", "vanilla was the greatest game in the galaxy", "there was more content in vanilla" and so on and so on...

Like he consider picking up herbs after raid a content... really.... REALLY ??????????????

Vanilla was good only because there was not many MMOs with so established and well known lore. Everything was new. Comming from Warcraft 3 and be able to just walk around the place in first person was just AMAZING !!! This is why everyone considers Vanilla to be great. Hell even we were 11 years younger.

In the times of TBC I could fly around nagrand, mining adamantium for 3 hours without getting bored... Now when I need 30 Fel blights, I'll go to tanaan and after 10 minutes I give up and buy them on AH. It's not that the game changed so drastically... PEOPLE DID !

I tryed private vanilla server and you know what? I got bored beyond immagination after one month... I had strong nostalgia feeling but with today's standards, vanilla is just complete garbage to me. It should and it will stay in my memories where it belongs...

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    May I ask, then what was 'all that shit' that you could do, back in vanilla, that you can't do today?
    Well, part of that is that back then you could go months before even seeing a full set of lvl 60 (rare!) items. Since 90% of your time (when it came to lvl 60 dungeon content at least) was spent gathering groups, preparing, slowly clearing the dungeon, and most of the time never get a suitable drop. Getting worthwhile lvl 60items from professions was pretty much impossible... actually I'm not sure there really was any proper 60 items from professions unless you got recipes from raids. Lvl 60 items only came from Exalted with certain factions and that took a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time doing the exact same thing.

So people did a bit of everything and got like one lvl 57+ item per week.. maybe.

WoW has been streamlined far too much. That said, "raiding wasn't endgame" is a load of bull.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2016-02-23 at 04:46 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post
    I'm really, really, Really, REALLY, REALLY getting tired of this "how vanilla was 3560352063562 times better", "vanilla was the greatest game in the galaxy", "there was more content in vanilla" and so on and so on...

Like he consider picking up herbs after raid a content... really.... REALLY ??????????????

Vanilla was good only because there was not many MMOs with so established and well known lore. Everything was new. Comming from Warcraft 3 and be able to just walk around the place in first person was just AMAZING !!! This is why everyone considers Vanilla to be great. Hell even we were 11 years younger.

In the times of TBC I could fly around nagrand, mining adamantium for 3 hours without getting bored... Now when I need 30 Fel blights, I'll go to tanaan and after 10 minutes I give up and buy them on AH. It's not that the game changed so drastically... PEOPLE DID !

I tryed private vanilla server and you know what? I got bored beyond immagination after one month... I had strong nostalgia feeling but with today's standards, vanilla is just complete garbage to me. It should and it will stay in my memories where it belongs...
    One of the top 3 games of all times in my almost 30 year long gaming career. 'Nuff said.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Well, part of that is that back then you could go months before even seeing a full set of lvl 60 items. Since 90% of your time was spent gathering groups, preparing, slowly clearing the dungeon, and most of the time never get a suitable drop. Getting worthwhile lvl 60items from professions was pretty much impossible... actually I'm not sure there really was any proper 60 items from professions unless you got recipes from raids. Lvl 60 items only came from Exalted with certain factions and that took a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time doing the exact same thing.

So people did a bit of everything and got like one lvl 57+ item per week.. maybe.

WoW has been streamlined far too much. That said, "raiding wasn't endgame" is a load of bull.
    raiding isn't end game for every one if you want to raid then it is for you theirs always been stuff to do out side of raiding at endgame people just don't want to do it.

"the only endgame you want is playtime" - Kungen.

I didn't expect to hear something like this from a once Hardcore raider. Having played on a private realm the past week, I am only level 22 and ahead of me is a huge journey (lots of deaths/struggles),I am preparing my character the best I can with professions and dungeons/quests. I can't do it all at once so I have to make what feel like big decisions on how to manage my time and resources just to stay ahead. But the game is already far more engaging than any casual content WoD offersl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Stop beating a dead horse.
    I agree. (Jesus Christ I'm agreeing with Shinra, what is the world coming to?)

Vanilla is gone, MMO's on the whole operate differently now, vanilla-style MMO's fall flat on their face and die in the modern age.

So, first more than .1% of people raided that was naxxramas that only .1& saw. Second how much is black desert online paying him.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Well, part of that is that back then you could go months before even seeing a full set of lvl 60 items. Since 90% of your time was spent gathering groups, preparing, slowly clearing the dungeon, and most of the time never get a suitable drop. Getting worthwhile lvl 60items from professions was pretty much impossible... actually I'm not sure there really was any proper 60 items from professions unless you got recipes from raids. Lvl 60 items only came from Exalted with certain factions and that took a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time doing the exact same thing.

TIME

That's the only argument. It took more time WoW's philosophy after TBC ended was the exact opposite. They added quality of life. They reduced time sinks and gates. They removed things that bombed accessibility. Ultimately they removed any difficulty from outside content. This is what gave WoW the biggest boom. Even vanilla WoW was a dumbed down version of existing MMO's.

I completely agree. People who say "raiding wasn't endgame" is blind, hypocritical or ignorant. EVERYTHING in vanilla had the ultimate unfolding in raiding. What happened is that since it took so long, many people didn't see that raiding was the goal of all the content, and made it their "own endgame".

-Leveling experience was just a grind of mobs intertwined with a time sink called "resting". Add that we had no quest hubs and we had to walk till level 40.
    -Level 60 was just a grind of 5 man instances and UBRS + baron runs to get tier 0. Do attunements and get some fire resist gear. Then go raiding, which took entire afternoons just to get a few bosses down do to the amount of trash (trash is also a time sink). Consumables were not even required in raiding until BWL, and thinks like fire resist pots were mostly payed for by the guild and only for certain people (tanks).
    Last edited by Allenseiei; 2016-02-23 at 04:53 PM.

1 thing no one mentions, people got older, player base got older. Most of us started to play as teens we had ton of time to play but after starting to work life changes after getting up 4:00 to work and after getting home last thing u want to do is grind 4 hours herbs for potions and then go to sleep repeat and tomorow grind some dungeons fro some shards or something else, we got older our free time got less not to mention relationships and starting family.

Can someone tl;dr the vid? I'm not giving him another view just beacuse you wanted me to.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenseiei View Post
    TIME

That's the only argument. It took more time WoW's philosophy after TBC ended was the exact opposite. They added quality of life. They reduced time sinks and gates. They removed things that bombed accessibility. Ultimately they removed any difficulty from outside content. This is what gave WoW the biggest boom. Even vanilla WoW was a dumbed down version of existing MMO's.

I completely agree. People who say "raiding wasn't endgame" is blind, hypocritical or ignorant. EVERYTHING in vanilla had the ultimate unfolding in raiding. What happened is that since it took so long, many people didn't see that raiding was the goal of all the content, and made it their "own endgame".
    Biggest boom? I thought the sub numbers began to lower when they started the accessibility crap? I better go check the statistics again..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Stop beating a dead horse.
    They are beating the bones of the dead horse by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Ok honestly why kungen even tries anymore to stay relevant >.> if he thinks that wow was better in classic he can stick with private servers or at black desert , i dont get why he has to whine all the time and then go back and play a game he doesnt enjoy anymore ......

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deniter View Post
    Biggest boom? I thought the sub numbers began to lower when they started the accessibility crap? I better go check the statistics again..
    WotLK had a stable and largest playerbase, it was also the first quality of life expansion. Maybe boom wasn't the best way to call it.