10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

Rumor: SWTOR datamining leads to megaserver speculation

http://massivelyop.com/2016/02/23/ru...r-speculation/

According to the Star Wars: The Old Republic player-run datamining site TOR Community, the current “PvE and PvP servers are being replaced with PvE and PvP instance types,” leading to speculation of server merges or the creation of one megaserver.

A possible change in character naming conventions only adds to the evidence that we will eventually see a major overhaul in the server structure. TOR Community claims that players will be able to add spaces in their character names when Update 4.3 launches. There will have to be three letters before the space and three letters after, and of course, the structure of whispers will have to change, as well.

When looking at the actual datamined information, there is no clear indication of how the servers will be structured, but it is clear that BioWare has at very least been experimenting with a change to its current sharded server system.

- - - Updated - - -

Heres the Data-minining info https://torcommunity.com/database/up...-3-pts-1-mined
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    They certainly have the technology to do it, what with all the zone phases you can switch to.

Hope this doesn't cause RP servers to be pegged with PvE.

Yes, mega-please.

One of the reasons why I stop playing, after returning to play, is the lack of people currently in my servers. Hopefully this would help.

Snark comment: Yay! All those other people to share a server with you while you all play through your solo story in your solo instances!

Furreals comment: If it means a single queue system for PvP/PvE that will be fantastic. They've had channel tech in this game for a while so I've been wondering how long before they just made it full megaservers. The only issue is character names, but I'm totally fine with losing 1-2 names (probably won't, but either way) or needing to add some BS last names to characters to be on a megaserver. Megaservers > discrete shards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    They certainly have the technology to do it, what with all the zone phases you can switch to.

Hope this doesn't cause RP servers to be pegged with PvE.
    I wouldn't mind merging the group finder feature with all existing servers -- with the same language at least, be it PvE, PvP or RP.

Deleted
    If they do turn it into mega servers, then I truly hope they instance off some of the annoying weekly heroics
    Ones that Spring to mind are
    Coruscant pass key one, rakghoul too few spawn one, possessed hunter, Elysium point one where you need to tag mobs, probably missing a few
    With so many instanced already, they will become an absolute nightmare with mega servers

Quote Originally Posted by Mythicalfury View Post
    If they do turn it into mega servers, then I truly hope they instance off some of the annoying weekly heroics
    Ones that Spring to mind are
    Coruscant pass key one, rakghoul too few spawn one, possessed hunter, Elysium point one where you need to tag mobs, probably missing a few
    With so many instanced already, they will become an absolute nightmare with mega servers
    Zones are already instanced into channels based off of population. That's why sometimes when you group up with folks you'll need to change channels to be able to play together. This would largely be, assuming I'm understanding the datamining correctly and that BioWare plays by the same/similar rules to other megaserver tech, just an extension of that. More channels of zones to accommodate more players, but actual map population caps not changing.

They really do need to do something about some of the heroic weekly quests though, the respawn rates for some of those mobs is abysmal -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Snark comment: Yay! All those other people to share a server with you while you all play through your solo story in your solo instances!

Furreals comment: If it means a single queue system for PvP/PvE that will be fantastic. They've had channel tech in this game for a while so I've been wondering how long before they just made it full megaservers. The only issue is character names, but I'm totally fine with losing 1-2 names (probably won't, but either way) or needing to add some BS last names to characters to be on a megaserver. Megaservers > discrete shards.
    I wonder with them adding in the ability to have a space in the name how that might keep people from having to fully change their names.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    SNIP...

They really do need to do something about some of the heroic weekly quests though, the respawn rates for some of those mobs is abysmal -_-
    The one where you have to kill 8 snipers on Balmorra (I think) is one of the worst culprits of a horrible spawn rate and lots of people going after them.

Megaservers? If it helps queue times thats a postive right off the bat. I know some seem worried it might force some PVP depending on quests but lets hope they don't go that route. Some just hate PVP way to much.
    Last edited by quras; 2016-02-23 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    The one where you have to kill 8 snipers on Balmorra (I think) is one of the worst culprits of a horrible spawn rate and lots of people going after them.

Megaservers? If it helps queue times thats a postive right off the bat. I know some seem worried it might force some PVP depending on quests but lets hope they don't go that route. Some just hate PVP way to much.
    That and the one in the tunnels where you need to kill like, 5 of a specific type of rhakgoul and there are a whopping...5 total that spawn and they're on like a 10m respawn.

As for open world PvP, I'd imagine they'd have a PvP and PvE megaserver, or channels dedicated to PvP/PvE so that folks are forced into a gameplay mode they didn't sign up for.

Deleted
    By far rhe worst culprits are possessed hunter, 900 sec respawn, and only one spawn, and always people waiting who rarely team up and just spam aoe to claim
    Other I loathed I think is Alderaan Elysium one, where u need to tag 20 mobs with a device, not only do people actively wait for you to pull so they can instant use item when mobs dead, which as ranged is an absolute pain in the.... But to top it off, I always have to turn chat off for that zone, it's absolute toxic
    But ya I'm all for mega servers to make the world feel alive again, but not at the expense of weeklies that are already a nightmare

And yeah the zakghoul one, was one I referred to earlier in post, it's insane that's not instanced off along with coruscant pass key one

really hope they don't stick rp'ers in with pvp or pvers. they act like complete shitstains to rpers.

This is what was mentioned and nothing about RP servers. No idea how RP servers will be affected yet unless they are just combined into PVE and PVE but that would turn off a few gamers I'm sure.

• PvE and PvP servers are being replaced with PvE and PvP instance types. You can now set your focus out of combat. The following strings are provided by Bioware:
    • You may not change your focus while in combat.
    • You are choosing to set your focus to PVP. Are you sure you want to go get your ass kicked?
    • You are choosing to set your focus to PVE. Are you sure you want everyone to know you are a huge wimp?
    • Taking this shuttle to will transport your character to this instance, change your focus to PVP, and start a cooldown for this feature. You might get your ass kicked! Are you sure?
    • This is a PVP instance. You may get your ass kicked.
    • Your instance is not accepting new players, but your new group member is in another instance on your planet. Do you want to shuttle there? This will change your focus to PVP, and you may get your ass kicked.
    • Many members of your guild are on your planet but in another instance. Do you want to shuttle there? This will change your focus to PVP, and you may get your ass kicked.
    You can read the rest at the bottom here:
    https://torcommunity.com/database/up...-3-pts-1-mined

10+ Year Old Account
    I find their current servers laggy at times...

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I find their current servers laggy at times...
    I would like to think that if they do migrate to megaservers. There would be some new tech there as well as newer servers, maybe help with those that have lag and it's truely SWTOR fault and not their ISP. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Megaservers would be amazing from a queuing standpoint. I would probably re-sub if it meant I could actually do flashpoints and operations on my Juggernaut without having to wait 1286341286541263412.3333... repeating... minutes to get a group together.....

It was a hot mess on Harbinger for a few months the times they have dumped other servers on to it. In the long run though it is for the good of the game. They were well out of their depths when they created the servers at the launch and the limitations each one had. At one point they had more servers then WoW. So they were either very ambitious or went with a game engine that is crap and didn't understand in MMO's people don't want to be in ghost town servers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Megaservers would be amazing from a queuing standpoint. I would probably re-sub if it meant I could actually do flashpoints and operations on my Juggernaut without having to wait 1286341286541263412.3333... repeating... minutes to get a group together.....
    As long as that doesn't mean a long log in queue also.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

As long as that doesn't mean a long log in queue also
    Fair point, but I'd take a log in queue over long dungeon queues any day. That said...would kind of depend on how long of a log in queue.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    dev post
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...39#edit8834439
    Hey folks,

By the term "Megaservers" I presume you think we are collapsing multiple servers together into "megaservers." Especially with many of the quality of life features you highlighted. These changes were only designed to allow friends to play together, regardless of their personal playstyle. Now someone who wants to play on a PvP server can play on the same server as their friends who don't want to.

Hope that clears up any confusion.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.