Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Obama wants to pretend he can close Guantanamo

His whole plan is to relocate the detainees to the United States, which is clearly against the law passed by Congress. Why does the President keep trying to do things he knows he can not do? The bill passed in November was passed in the senate 91-3. The house voted 370-58. I would say that is overwhelming bi partisan support of detainees not coming to the United States. Why does he think 4 months later that Congress will change their minds?

Because maybe he hopes that in the past 4 months Congress has finally read the Constitution and decided to apply it?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Because maybe he hopes that in the past 4 months Congress has finally read the Constitution and decided to apply it?
    Yeah, it is a hope only. Most of them keep a copy in their pocket, they don't actually read it...

Congress supposedly represent the will of the people. The people wanted Guantanamo closed. Are congress representing the people or their own interests?
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Show me where in the Constitution that it states that terrorist detainees need to be housed in the United States please.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Yeah, it is a hope only. Most of them keep a copy in their pocket, they don't actually read it...
    Show me where the Constitution says we have to keep detainees in the United States

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I read he's making the case that it's a financial drain to keep it open when other cheaper options are better.

And now that Gitmos population is (I believe) in the double digit, it's a hard case to refute.

Unless, of course, you want to give into the fearmongering.

Just burn them all and turn it into a McDonalds with a Starbucks side shop. #Profit
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post

The constitution is the most violated document in Washington. And the people have said more than once they want gitmo closed so it is up to congress to make sure the will of the people gets enacted upon. But with this do nothing congress that have been terrible since 2010 well we cant expect much good from unfortunately

I suppose it is foolhardy to expect this congress to get anything done. short of scratching thier own asses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Just burn them all and turn it into a McDonalds with a Starbucks side shop. #Profit
    No no no. Theme park. Make a mint off of selling souveniers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    I suppose it is foolhardy to expect this congress to get anything done. short of scratching thier own asses.
    Or opening a new post office, naming a bridge...

10+ Year Old Account
    Build the prison in D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Build the prison in D.C.
    less travel time to put all the criminals in prison since most of the politicians there need to be in prison.

We've asked other countries to take these poor poor detainees, so far no takers. We have 100 or so left.

Some of the more tame detainees found homes outside the US but not all.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    We currently hold domestic terrorists, including Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, in Federal prisons. So what's the big deal? We're literally arguing over 91 detainees. That's how many people are held at Gitmo.

Move them to Federal prisons and be done with it.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    less travel time to put all the criminals in prison since most of the politicians there need to be in prison.
    Exactly. Hillary can share a cell with Khalid Sheikh Mohammed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    We currently hold domestic terrorists, including Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, in Federal prisons. So what's the big deal? We're literally arguing over 91 detainees. That's how many people are held at Gitmo.

Move them to Federal prisons and be done with it.
    Should non-US citizens have the same rights as US citizens?
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Should non-US citizens have the same rights as US citizens?
    That's a very broad question that's difficult to answer. In many respects, non-US citizens already do have the same rights as US citizens (don't conservatives argue that rights are inalienable?). If you're being more specific to the prisoners, then I'd say they that if we take them captive, they should have the same rights as any other domestic prisoner.
    Eat yo vegetables

Oh, NOW Obama wants to follow the Constitution?

Deleted
    The constitution only applies to owning guns. You know that.
    Aside, doesn't the patriot act allow to shit all over the constitution if you are fighting "terrorism"?

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    That's a very broad question that's difficult to answer. In many respects, non-US citizens already do have the same rights as US citizens (don't conservatives argue that rights are inalienable?). If you're being more specific to the prisoners, then I'd say they that if we take them captive, they should have the same rights as any other domestic prisoner.
    Rights aren't inalienable? You think rights should be gifted to us, the peasants, by our benevolent government overlords? (but only if we're good boys and girls, right?)

It's the government's job to recognize and protect our rights, not grant them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Show me where the Constitution says we have to keep detainees in the United States
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury.

Or they are not criminals? But innocent?