Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

I dont want to live past 60

Is it wrong that I don't want to live past 60 years old? I don't want to get to the point where my body starts breaking down and I feel useless. I don't really see what is so great about living to be 90 and watch everybody I ever knew dying on me.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to feel that way, but the closer I get to it, the more I realize. I want to live longer than that. As old as possible. I just want to see what happens in the world. How my kids do, how their kids do. I don't want to die. Life is too short, and it's going by too fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on lifestyle and luck you could be independant even into your 80s. My two surviving grandparents (one on each side) have had no pressing health issues for years.

EDIT: Meanwhile, my Dad got his first bout of cancer at 47. At least he beat it though.
    Last edited by Radio; 2016-02-25 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Is it wrong that I don't want to live past 60 years old? I don't want to get to the point where my body starts breaking down and I feel useless. I don't really see what is so great about living to be 90 and watch everybody I ever knew dying on me.
    I'm sure you'll change your mind if you make it to 60. Besides, 60 isn't what it used to be. My mom takes great care of her self, and at 62 is in better shape than a lot of people I know at half her age. My dad didn't quite make it to 60, but he sure as hell fought tooth and nail to stay alive once he found out he only had months left to live. It's been less than a year since he passed, and now that I have a child of my own I know that I'll always have at least one very damn good reason to live as long as possible.

I suppose the solution to that is to take good care of your body so it lasts longer.

Or die horribly at a tragically young age.

I don't know, that first one sounds like a lot of work...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Dick Van Dyke is 90 and bouncing around like he's 60. Stan Lee is 93 and acting 30 years younger. If I can be like them at 90, I'm all for it and by the time most of us get to 60, science will have advanced another 20+ years so quality of life could be even better

nah, I am immortal. really I feel like never getting old. And sure as hell i ll be playing games with my grandchildren.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well then don't. Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Don't you have diabeetus, isn't your body already breaking down?

Anyways, being alive and struggling is still better than being ded.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I feel like a lot of it might be gradual. If you went from perfect to shit in a few days it makes a lot of sense to want to quit. But if you're doing fine, but then notice you have a little bit of pain. A few pills, and you're back to normal again. You keep making little compromises, and don't realize you change that much.

Then if you want to be logical about it you might quit after you reach a certain criteria instead of an age. Like say "I don't want to live if I can't walk." Otherwise you can make it to 60 and be perfect, and wonder why the hell you based it on age.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Don't you have diabeetus, isn't your body already breaking down?

Anyways, being alive and struggling is still better than being ded.
    i disagree. not having to worry about anything doesn't sound so bad...
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Dick Van Dyke is 90 and bouncing around like he's 60. Stan Lee is 93 and acting 30 years younger. If I can be like them at 90, I'm all for it and by the time most of us get to 60, science will have advanced another 20+ years so quality of life could be even better
    Thanks. I was just about to bring up dick van dyke. I saw him singing and dancing on TV the other day. Then i remembered he's 90. Crazy. That's how i wanna live. Like him. What an inspiration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azidonis View Post
    Anyway, their egos, or "epeens" (electronic penises) aside, here are a few links that may help:

60 is the new 30.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    My grandmother is 80 and she still jumps around and bikes and stuff. A friend of my mother is nearing 60 and looks 40. Don't drink or do drugs, cut down on sugar and you will live a long healthy life.

how close are you to 60? quality of life will go way up in the next 20 years, probably. stay on as long as u can.

15+ Year Old Account
    Relevant, for people interested in a long read:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2013/07/17...ry-slow-decay/

15+ Year Old Account
    My boss is in her 70s right now and she does alright. Though She forgets shit a lot.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 56, so 60 isn't that far off. As others have said, turning 60 is far different than it used to be and you can probably expect that trend to continue. Sixty may not be the new 30 yet, but it is probably closing in on what 40 used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi
    Though She forgets shit a lot.
    Well, actually it is important to take into account

Damn, lost my train of thought.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Depending on mental state I can agree with you, although i wouldn't want to live beyond a much older age than 60. I watched my grandfather reach 93 before passing away, and at the age of 85 or so his mental state deteriorated so quickly he was a shell of the person he used to be. I mean I don't want to keep living if it means I won't even recognize my family/loved ones, requiring aid to do simple tasks like wiping or eating. It's no longer living and degrades into existing.

Although according to my psych prof, only about 10% of the elderly population are like my grandpa, the rest are functioning and capable people.
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2016-02-25 at 11:37 AM.
    I'm a thread killer.

7+ Year Old Account
    roid up bro