Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    People here almost never differentiate between different communities. Instead what ends up happening is a whole bunch of negative numbers are thrown out with fbi data and all, as if black americans and black africans and black Caribbeans are all the same group. This makes absolutely no sense as each group is very very very different when it comes to education, crime, and careers.

When you think of black people in America how often do you actually think about the completely different sets of black people and how they differ from each other? Such a thing never seems to happen and I've only seen a few people (myself included) mention the differences.
    FBI statictics are for black Americans. Are you suggesting there are so many black Africans and black Caribbeans that it would skew the numbers? If they are citizens wouldn't that make them.....black Americans anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    This reminds me of that story I heard about the guy who was given a minority scholarship for some american college for being african, which was then revoked when they found out he was from South Africa, and was in fact, white. LOL. Apparently only blacks can be african.
    White Africans! What sorcery is this!? No but seriously thats pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Well, reverse this and ask yourself if you put much thought into the different groups of white Americans. Do you put much thought into it? I'm going to be honest here and say I don't. I see no reason to unless the situation calls for it.
    White Americans like...George Zimmermann.....

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    White Americans like...George Zimmermann.....
    Oh yes, the "white" Hispanic.

Quote Originally Posted by malletin View Post
    White Africans! What sorcery is this!? No but seriously thats pretty stupid.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlize_Theron

10+ Year Old Account
    Color of one's skin means no more to me than color of one's hair. He-h, the latter, actually, matters, unlike the former.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Black Caribbeans?
    That is not the correct term.

West Indians of African descent
    You know the west indies is in the Caribbean right? They're both correct terms.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    FBI statictics are for black Americans. Are you suggesting there are so many black Africans and black Caribbeans that it would skew the numbers? If they are citizens wouldn't that make them.....black Americans anyway?
    No what I am asking is whether when statistics are looked at if you or anyone thinks about immigrants and if so do you lump them in or just place them someplace else, or are they just not a thought.

People here almost never differentiate between different communities. Instead what ends up happening is a whole bunch of negative numbers are thrown out with fbi data and all, as if black americans and black africans and black Caribbeans are all the same group. This makes absolutely no sense as each group is very very very different when it comes to education, crime, and careers.

When you think of black people in America how often do you actually think about the completely different sets of black people and how they differ from each other? Such a thing never seems to happen and I've only seen a few people (myself included) mention the differences.
    Honestly I don't, the same way I don't think about whether a white person is irish-american, german-american, norwegian-american etc.
    Granted it is pretty awkward to call someone african-american if they or their ancestors aren't from Africa..

10+ Year Old Account
    You know the west indies is in the Caribbean right? They're both correct terms.

- - - Updated - - -

No what I am asking is whether when statistics are looked at if you or anyone thinks about immigrants and if so do you lump them in or just place them someplace else, or are they just not a thought.
    No it is incorrect and offensive. Please use the correct term.
    People there don't refer to themselves as Caribbeans. They refer to themselves as West Indian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda like how whites/asians aren't differentiated?

It's almost as if everyone was guilty of this...

No it is incorrect and offensive. Please use the correct term.
    People there don't refer to themselves as Caribbeans. They refer to themselves as West Indian.
    Am from a family that's from all over the Caribbean that then immigrated to England

Both terms are correct, neither is offensive where the fuck did you get that from.

Because black Caribbeans make up a large number of the black population; however, don't suffer the same issues.

I'm not talking about black Caribbeans in the Caribbean.

For instance when it comes to statistics and prejudice the sentiment is often "well the black community brought it on themselves by... such and such" however what is this "black community" which "black community" is this? For the most part it tends to be Americans but I highly doubt anyone saying that is giving any of that much thought.
    FBI numbers on black crime are in the US not worldwide. For white crimes they include white people who moved from South Africa. You entire thread is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatoss View Post
    I was joking, I am well aware that roughly 9% of the South African population is white.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am from a family that's from all over the Caribbean that then immigrated to England

Both terms are correct, neither is offensive where the fuck did you get that from.
    It's seriously offensive. I know many blacks from the Caribbean and have been to several islands. Nobody refers to themselves as Caribbeans.
    Please show some respect to them and refer to them correctly.

I think the things most people attribute to race are actually attributes of the culture a person belongs too. All persons are created equal but all cultures are not. I was raised in a culture where it was assumed I would go to graduate college and be a law-abiding citizen. Some people are not and that is not necessarily their fault but people have the ability to move from one culture to another if they really want to.

Also most Africans who have come from Africa in recent years and Caribbeans do NOT want to be associated with black native born Americans because of what a joke they are to them. I would wager that if we separated crime statistics of those 2 groups from native born black Americans, the crime to population ratio would go up for black Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    FBI numbers on black crime are in the US not worldwide. For white crimes they include white people who moved from South Africa. You entire thread is invalid.
    They're in the US, and there are a lot of black africans (from africa) and black caribbeans (from all over the caribbean) in the united states.

My question is really do you group africans and caribbean blacks who live in america into the same pool?

Quote Originally Posted by malletin View Post
    I was joking, I am well aware that roughly 9% of the South African population is white.
    Yeah, I just find it funny how most of the people I personally know (met through college) who were born in an African country, are the whitest skin-toned people I know

It's seriously offensive. I know many blacks from the Caribbean and have been to several islands. Nobody refers to themselves as Caribbeans.
    Please show some respect to them and refer to them correctly.
    To them... I am one of them so I'm not sure wtf you're trying to say here lol.

I know many people from the Caribbean, they're kind of all over my family...

They're in the US, and there are a lot of black africans (from africa) and black caribbeans (from all over the caribbean) in the united states.

My question is really do you group africans and caribbean blacks who live in america into the same pool?
    You skirted the facts of the question that was already answered. So back at you: Do you group Europeans and Africans who are white that live in America with whites in America?