10+ Year Old Account

Would you notify or harass someone riding a hoverboard?

I normally don't post questions like these, but this came up in discussion today.

To be clear, I hate hoverboards, and the people who use them (at least on campus) tend to either be oblivious nuisances to straight up dangerous. A girl was riding one indoors today, in class hallways, and nearly ran into three people while on her phone, and wasn't even aware of the three people diving out of her way (the reason discussion came up)

That said... Hoverboards have been recently deemed unsafe to use. Several major companies have outright said "Do not use our product anymore". A number of companies have faked UL certification. Amazon no longer sells them at all. In light of them blowing up and burning down property every other day, I still see people using them.

Would you stop someone riding one to let them know it's dangerous? Or let them go on their merry way knowing that it might be entirely possible (but probably small chance) it might ignite at some point?

I personally have not done so, mostly because half the time they probably wouldn't even notice someone flagging them down. Let alone believe that their company has made public statements.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Here's what you do...
    Step 1) When you see them riding on one, walk in front of them, stop, and pretend like you are tying your shoe.
    Step 2) When they run into you, grab your neck and start screaming like you are in pain.
    Step 3) Have someone call an ambulance.
    Step 4) Sue them.
    Step 5) Enjoy your trip to Hawaii

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd just notify one of the building's admin personal. Sounds like a huge liability for the Department/Campus. Let them use their authority to quash the bad behavior.

Because if someone gets injured by said hoverboarder, the lawsuit isnt just stopping at the hoverboardee, you're suing the university which has a lot more cash.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have mixed feelings. I wouldn't interfere with a person because they were on a hoverboard, but I loath phone zombies. I would probably blurt out a "hey, dumbass, watch where you're going" on pure reflex and would do the same if they were on a skateboard, bike, scooter or other device. People have the right to faceplant through the stupidity of their choosing, but I (and others) shouldn't have to dodge them.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    Here's what you do...
    Step 1) When you see them riding on one, walk in front of them, stop, and pretend like you are tying your shoe.
    Step 2) When they run into you, grab your neck and start screaming like you are in pain.
    Step 3) Have someone call an ambulance.
    Step 4) Sue them.
    Step 5) Enjoy your trip to Hawaii
    As much as I hate senseless litigation and the stereotypes for Americans because of this....

Do this. Or have something valuable you need replacing...like a laptop and have them run into you and "break it"

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    At some point, people like this need to trip and fall hard. Not enough to hurt break bones of course, but hard enough to where they have to realize they're being fucking stupid.

I hate people like this, also hate when people drive and text on the road and you SEE them slowly veering out of their lane and they act like nothing happens.

I'm not going to interfere in terms of me being a spectator and stopping them. They'll run into something eventually. If they're about to crash into me? Then there's going to be a fucking problem.
    I see this happen more than a lot of people (I drive a school bus) and whenever I see someone doing it on the highway, and I am close enough, I pull up right next to them, and whenever they look down, I just lay on my horn. They always look up startled, and swerve, then go back to texting right away, at which point I just lay on my horn again, and I keep doing this until they get the hint, or our paths diverge.

Seriously, people need to remember that they are controlling a 4000lb hunk of metal that is moving at 88 FEET PER SECOND! (That is about one Soccer/Football field every 4 seconds.) It's dangerous for everyone, pay attention!

No, because it makes you look like an asshole. Its uber annoying when some buttfucker says meat/cigarettes/killing people/air is bad for you. Don't be an asshole!!! And don't date robots!!

Wait. Your school campus actually lets people ride around on those things Indoors? I will be blunt here. It is not the fault of the person riding the thing. It is the fault of the institution that lets them. I am reasonably sure that your campus probably has rules for "no rollerblades / skateboards / similar shit" indoors. Just get them to tack on the hoverboards and be done with it.

TLDR: It's not stupid to ride around on them. It is stupid to ride around on them in places it really shouldnt be allowed.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Wait. Your school campus actually lets people ride around on those things Indoors?
    I actually don't know the policy on use indoors. It's the first time I've seen one used there. You might be right that it isn't allowed, and I imagine it falls under other 'personal vehicle' clauses.

TLDR: It's not stupid to ride around on them. It is stupid to ride around on them in places it really shouldnt be allowed...../
    So its not silly to ride around on them, knowing they may well blow up?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    What ever happened to walking a few meters?

Don't hover-shame people. You are being very privileged and ableist.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would throw up an NWO Wolfpac sign to them, and if they failed to reciprocate I would call the cops on them :P

Deleted
    I wouldn't go out of my way to tell them, but i'd probably bring it up if i happened to be talking to them at some point. Chances are they wouldn't care/believe you anyways if you told them they were a fire hazard.

If they are causing obstructions/problems for the general foot traffic i would expect staff to get involved once they became aware.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    No, because it makes you look like an asshole. Its uber annoying when some buttfucker says meat/cigarettes/killing people/air is bad for you. Don't be an asshole!!! And don't date robots!!
    I almost agreed until you objected to my unconditional love with Curie.
    Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    I feel like, as your post started driving off the cliff, you accelerated.

Good for you.

I would just laugh at them for being so incredibly lazy.

No different than skateboards electric scooters etc. Probably should go by each person operating them and not the whole group.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    So its not silly to ride around on them, knowing they may well blow up?
    Depends. If you know your specific model / manufacturer / whatever is under recall, then yes, that would be silly. By similar token however, I am not going to stop flying to florida for vacation because a percentage of planes have fallen out of the sky in the last couple of years.

Depends if she was hot or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Depends. If you know your specific model / manufacturer / whatever is under recall, then yes, that would be silly. By similar token however, I am not going to stop flying to florida for vacation because a percentage of planes have fallen out of the sky in the last couple of years.
    All of them.

Literally 0% of the manufacturers have passed UL licensing. That's pretty much the group of people you check with to verify that your product doesn't blow up.

Notably, the 'best' and most expensive and most popular ones blow up.. So its pretty safe to assume the Chinese knockoffs are worse.