Thread: Undead mage

Undead mage

I am having trouble on how to roleplay an undead mage. Is there anything lore wise why their are undead mages? Many of the lore sources say little to no explanations and facts about undead mages and what role do they play in the Forsaken.
    Last edited by hairyman; 2016-02-26 at 10:22 AM.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    How do you want to role play your undead mage?

Human turned undead during the 3rd war, or during the Northrend campaign, or after during the Cataclysm?

During the 3rd war you were most probably a mage of the Kirin Tor, fell, raised, and broken free from the will of the Lich King. Forever loyal towards Sylvannas for leading them onward.

For the Northrend campaign, you can role play as a mage already part of the war effort. Your main goal purging the mindless dead, seeking lost or ancient knowledge, etc.

From a Cataclysm point of view, you can be an undead raised after the war effort. Excepting who you have become, or not. I.e. Lillian Voss.

What I usally do is, I first create a human character, with all the necessary background...and them kill him/her. Then see how she'll fit in

Hope that'll push you in the right direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Undead were humans after all. They have all the reasons to be magi that humans do. Hell, Dalaran used to be a stones throw away from Lordaeron, on a clear day you could see it across the lake.

As for the role they play, they are usually either on the frontlines, supporting with food, portals, and casting firestorms and blizzards. Most are members of the Royal Apothecary Society. (doesn't mean you have to be an alchemist, mind you.) But most mages don't fit in, especially Forsaken. Undead are independent by nature, as well as magi. Combining the two creates a pretty free spirit. Likely either a total loner or a leader.

Things to keep in mind:

You are (likely to be) smart.

You (are likely to) have an ego.

You are (likely to) Have either a connection to Dalaran or Quel'thelas. I imagine plenty of Forsaken Magi are either Kirin Tor affiliated or (like my undead mage) half-elf or elven-trained.

Deleted
    Well, this might not be super popular... But you can always play an undead high elf mage from Quel'Thalas. As by far, not all forsaken are human, but surely most of them are.

And do remember that the undead also has a proper mage order of their own, it might not be named but there's a mage "tower" (read ziggurat) in the Undercity, their "master mage" being a banshee. There's also a proper warlock order too. So the forsaken have their own proper set of mages and so on. And they fit the setting appropriately too.

And all members of the Royal Apothecary Society ARE apothecaries, and they all are either chemists or alchemists. A mage doesn't naturally make you an apothecary, it can merely mean you're part of the Undercity Mage Order. Do remember there are two distinct quarters, the Magic Quarter and the Apothecarium. They are two very distinct AND separate things. So most undead mages are NOT in fact apothecaries.
    Last edited by mmoc661de564ba; 2016-03-14 at 05:43 PM.