Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    No, with your attitude we would still be running around, waving stone axes, because no one would want to bother to correct anyone's opinion. Everyone would be too busy trying to feel morally superior instead of doing something that would make a difference.
    Some opinions aren't worthy of being corrected. When I am working on a problem of measuring the magnetic field throughout a detector, and someone randomly walks up to me and says, "I don't think what you are doing makes any sense, since magnetism is merely a work of God, and all your science is bollocks" - I won't be "correcting" him, I will just ignore him and spend my time in a more productive way. If I bothered with "correcting" everyone who comes up with random stuff on the fly, then I would never have done anything at all. If you want to develop your own theory and discuss it with others - sure, go ahead... But if you just make things up without any reasonable basis, then discussing it with you is pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Turn-based strategy games like Pokémon are better for competitive gaming than MOBAs like DotA. MOBAs are boring as hell to watch. A multiplayer Fire Emblem would be the PERFECT spectator sport for gaming..
    Yet, the game is astonishingly unbalanced,with like 7 tiers of viability, item clauses, move clauses, and a cluster fuck of a type chart. I love Pokémon and its too bad the Pokémon company literally doesn't care about balancing their game for those that play it competitively.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    No, this attitude is why progress is possible at all. If everyone just made up claims on the fly, ignoring all the evidence and scientific developments, then we would still be running around, waving stone axes.
    Again, gender dysphoria IS a mental disorder. It has scientific basis thanks to APA and WHO and as such saying so is not a claim made up on the fly. It does not ignore all the evidence and scientific development. And even if the "likely" part was related not to gender dysphoria being a mental disorder per se, but to how similar it is to those other disorders mentioned, I'm not really sure what's the big deal about it. How does comparing it to BIID stall progress to the point "it's not possible at all"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Again, gender dysphoria IS a mental disorder. It has scientific basis thanks to APA and WHO and as such saying so is not a claim made up on the fly. It does not ignore all the evidence and scientific development. And even if the "likely" part was related not to gender dysphoria being a mental disorder per se, but to how similar it is to those other disorders mentioned, I'm not really sure what's the big deal about it. How does comparing it to BIID stall progress to the point "it's not possible at all"?
    Was referring to the part "similar to Schizophrenia or BIID and absolutely should not be treated by GRS".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Some opinions aren't worthy of being corrected. When I am working on a problem of measuring the magnetic field throughout a detector, and someone randomly walks up to me and says, "I don't think what you are doing makes any sense, since magnetism is merely a work of God, and all your science is bollocks" - I won't be "correcting" him, I will just ignore him and spend my time in a more productive way. If I bothered with "correcting" everyone who comes up with random stuff on the fly, then I would never have done anything at all. If you want to develop your own theory and discuss it with others - sure, go ahead... But if you just make things up without any reasonable basis, then discussing it with you is pointless.
    As Mehrunes has pointed out there is reasonable basis for the claim.

The person that walked up to you in your scenario leaves ignorant, so as I said this kind of attitude breeds ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollfat View Post
    Yet, the game is astonishingly unbalanced,with like 7 tiers of viability, item clauses, move clauses, and a cluster fuck of a type chart. I love Pokémon and its too bad the Pokémon company literally doesn't care about balancing their game for those that play it competitively.
    As much as I love my dragons, I really wish they would do some work to them and nerf their power. The other option is to actually give out good stats to more than just dragons as a whole but ya know, dragons. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Which progress? SRS should be an available option.
    While I agree with this 100%, and I think SRS is a great tool to help transgender people, I'd say Imperial had a valid point when it comes to research. Now, I'm not saying the very point of this research has to be trying to find other treatment options (especially not to replace SRS), it could very well be just to understand it better. But if those are found, that would be even better for people suffering from gender dysphoria and transgender people in general. Especially those who don't want to go through SRS and would prefer to tackle the issue from the psyche side. More options are always good, even if SRS ends up being better. Hell, even if said research ends with no new treatment options, I think it could still be valuable if it helps us understand the issue of transgender, and in general, how human mind works, better.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Puertorican View Post
    still upset with you! :l
    I could make you more upset with me!

We should give the middle east to Israel to stop the Aggressive muslims
    I Support donald trump.
    Torture to extract vital information should be legal. Would you rather save 10,000 people or 1 person?
    An'u belore delen'na

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    As Mehrunes has pointed out there is reasonable basis for the claim.

The person that walked up to you in your scenario leaves ignorant, so as I said this kind of attitude breeds ignorance.
    Some physics professors receive so much mail from numerous cranks that it'd be impossible to do any actual work if they spent time correcting everything that was wrong. The relativity cranks and circle squarers of the world are probably a lost cause and don't have enough clout to be worth correcting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Was referring to the part "similar to Schizophrenia or BIID and absolutely should not be treated by GRS".
    I see, I wasn't too clear about which part you were disagreeing with and assumed it was the entirety of what you initially quoted. I'm still not sure what's so awful about comparing it to other mental disorders though. I mean, the very fact that GID and schizophrenia are mental disorders is already a similarity. As for the part about treatment, while I disagree with that, how does it stall progress? That poster outright said they want the issue to be researched more and actually tackled from the mental health side of things since it is a mental health issue. I'd say that's not a bad thing in itself, and I think it does actually encourage discussion, even if I disagree with their stance on SRS. And it's worth noting they didn't say they are against availability of SRS for transgender people in general, only for those suffering from GID. Unless they conflate the two, but I have no basis to claim that.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2016-03-03 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    *insert 10+ studies that show hrt and srs greatly improve the life of people with gender dysphoria*(ill do it if you want, I have them bookmarked these days.)
    I'll start us off with something that says otherwise.
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0016885
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by Zetharl View Post
    I'll start us off with something that says otherwise.
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0016885
    THe PLUS ONE study has the general public as the control, just a heads up on that. It even disagrees with the idea that it is bad, it says that aftercare is still neded

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/827713 (google medscape transgender, needs a login sometimes when its linked for some weird reason but is easily viewable via google)

At entry into the study (baseline), the most common comorbidity in both groups was depression, with a 24.9% incidence in MTF subjects and 13.6% in FTM, according to Dr. Asscheman. He noted, however, that the frequency of depression varied greatly among the study centers.

Even after treatment, 26 (2.4%) of the MTF subjects and 7 (1.4%) of the FTM subjects still reported depression, leading Dr. Asscheman to tell the large audience, "Sex-reassignment treatment does not cure depression."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15842032

After treatment the group was no longer gender dysphoric. The vast majority functioned quite well psychologically, socially and sexually.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19473181

We identified 28 eligible studies. These studies enrolled 1833 participants with GID (1093 male-to-female, 801 female-to-male) who underwent sex reassignment that included hormonal therapies. All the studies were observational and most lacked controls. Pooling across studies shows that after sex reassignment, 80% of individuals with GID reported significant improvement in gender dysphoria (95% CI = 68-89%; 8 studies; I(2) = 82%); 78% reported significant improvement in psychological symptoms (95% CI = 56-94%; 7 studies; I(2) = 86%); 80% reported significant improvement in quality of life (95% CI = 72-88%; 16 studies; I(2) = 78%); and 72% reported significant improvement in sexual function (95% CI = 60-81%; 15 studies; I(2) = 78%).
    The lacked controls is worrysome, but the bolded part is the huge thing here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-...b_6160626.html - Is a good supply of studies if you can get past "lolhuffpost". Might have one of my 3 provided in it as well, my studies folder is so crowded these days.

I can go find more, I do love doing research, but I think the giant study about other studies is pretty strong just by itself. I just get head aches when I stare at databases more than needed!
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2016-03-03 at 12:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure that, should you do that, you will be able to avoid any legal responsibility, based on your mental state.
    or if you were say to walk into a sin'dorei neighborhood as a draenei. then your just asking for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Bell peppers are fucking awful.
    i agree. bell peppers are for old people. ghost peppers and scorpion peppers are where it's at.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread has devolved into a transgender debate. Threads about sexuality, gender, or gender identity aren't allowed here outside of the context of a major current event.