Thread: Enhance v Ret?

10+ Year Old Account

Enhance v Ret?

Hey all
    I'm a causal PvPer and almost exclusively play a healer.
    But I'm wanting to try my hand at melee. Light arena/bgs.

Torn between Ret pally and Enhance shammy.
    Of those two, which do you guys generally think are "easier" and pair
    well with a mage/feral kitty for 2s?

When I do 2s as a healer, I often see both go absolutely bonkers with burst damage.
    I've observed enhance being a pain to kill and pally do absurd burst.

I play Enh shaman and in 2s I prefer feral over any other. I can't speak on Ret, but I have played a little ret, and to me it's kinda boring. But they have their place for sure.

Deleted
    Ret is bad. As a survival hunter, I fear enhancement more than ret, and I beat both easily. At least vs. enhancement I actually need los.

The sad apart about both is their pretty counterable, but with the right team, such as turbo for enh, it's a nasty combo. I'm not entirely sure Ret has a "viable" 3s team, but honestly if you have both at 100, gear them in full blues, one their both in full blue pvp gear, you should pick what was more enjoyable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the input. Though I don't do 3s at all, I like the madness and rage of 2s..
    Probably a dumb/loaded question. Which of the two do you guys think can be more bursty?

Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    Thanks for the input. Though I don't do 3s at all, I like the madness and rage of 2s..
    Probably a dumb/loaded question. Which of the two do you guys think can be more bursty?
    They are both about equally bursty but enhance is infinitely tankier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking forward to Legion, its Ashbringer vs the Doomhammer. Tough choice.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Enhance is 200% more viable and easier to play than Ret.

As you mentioned you're only playing casually so I'd definitely recommend Enhance. You also mentioned you wanted to play with a feral, I remember feral/enhance being absolutely ridiculous in 2s at the start of WoD, so it's probably still viable, at least I'm pretty sure it will be at low MMR.

There's a lot you have to deal with if you're playing Ret, especially in double DPS 2s, since you bring a lot of utility/healing, which I can imagine would make it quite hard to learn if you're not playing much / seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its like Krassz1096 mentioned. In addition, if you want to give RBG`s a try, Enhancement is much more viable then Ret in that bracket.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're both the same thing, Ret is just less viable than Enhancement for rated play. Ret is probably the best choice for you though because its better than Enhancement in casual pvp.

Hybrid melee are boring to play though because you're never going to have the sustained pressure of a Warrior or DK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enhance is 200% more viable and easier to play than Ret.

As you mentioned you're only playing casually so I'd definitely recommend Enhance. You also mentioned you wanted to play with a feral, I remember feral/enhance being absolutely ridiculous in 2s at the start of WoD, so it's probably still viable, at least I'm pretty sure it will be at low MMR.

There's a lot you have to deal with if you're playing Ret, especially in double DPS 2s, since you bring a lot of utility/healing, which I can imagine would make it quite hard to learn if you're not playing much / seriously.
    Hey Krassz True that.

I love my Ret though. If you do enjoy and love Ret, stick with it. But otherwise (especially for rated) - true, going Enh is easier / better / much more rewarding now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapeduz View Post
    Enhance beat warrior in dmg any day of the week in both arena and bgs.
    Warrior deals more damage that actually matters and has much better killing power.

Enhancement Shamans are shit. They're only good because of how stupid their off healing and Sham rage short cd makes them harder to kill. Outside of that, they're like every other hybrid melee, shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Warrior deals more damage that actually matters and has much better killing power.

Enhancement Shamans are shit. They're only good because of how stupid their off healing and Sham rage short cd makes them harder to kill. Outside of that, they're like every other hybrid melee, shit.
    What a ridiculous and wildly ignorant statement.

Sup buddy, I play both specs with decent Rated xp on both. Over all Enh is better than Ret in 2s at least this xpac, for Mage partner id go with Enhance since games tend to lust longer, with Feral both will work but Ret is better since both specs have insane burst and Ret can provide feral with magic dispells/freedoms for duration of his burst (but its more of a personal choice, since I main Ret since Wrath).
    For casual pvp Ret is way way more fun both random BGs and World PvP.
    For any type of Rated PvP Enh is way more viable this season (yet everything can be changed in legion)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post

In RBGs if Enh will chase just DMG meters, it will be always in top 3 dpsers with Shadow and UA or Boomy (and will almost always out dps Wars 99.99% of the time), Wars are good for Executes + Decent cleave/st dmg, however Enh' ST dmg is also decent + purges + range kicks + aoe. I woudnt call Enh a shit spec, since Turbo won last Blizzcon and if you watched it, Enh dmg was very very decent despite the fact he was trained by RMD almost every game.

rets pretty useless in 2s even in 3s you can play ret/hunt/shaman which isnt really a good comp compared to like jungle.
    atleast for enh theres turbo and lsd3 which are pretty top tier comps and theyre decent in 2s too since they can survive forever lol