Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Well look on the bright side, they are bringing back Conker for us :^)

Why don't Microsoft just save everyone a headache and stick to what they're good at: Operating Systems.

It's been clear for a long time now that every single other thing they branch out into his half-assed or subpar compared to competitors.. just stop trying to be more, it's never going to happen.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    stick to what they're good at: Operating Systems.
    Or, at least the best we got.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's not like Microsoft doesn't have close ties with both companies or doesn't regularly work with them on all sorts of projects. So yes, it is Microsoft's problem.
    Nvidia is an issue with Gsync monitors only. Also it is amusing how you shift the blame completely to M$ while excusing Nvidia and AMD. It is a console port which can end badly for anyone. It is also DirectX 12 which is relatively new and can cause issues itself. Its not like launch problems are a rarity. It happens with every platform and every developer. There is no need to bring out the pitchforks against M$ like you seem to be wanting.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    There is no need to bring out the pitchforks against M$ like you seem to be wanting.
    There's also no need to support shit that doesn't work.

Nvidia is an issue with Gsync monitors only. Also it is amusing how you shift the blame completely to M$ while excusing Nvidia and AMD.
    Because it's their game. It's up to them to make sure it works with the current drivers that AMD/Nvidia have or to work with AMD/Nvidia to have them provide an updated driver.

It's not uncommon to see Nvidia and/or AMD release drivers alongside major releases specifically because of it. It's also not uncommon for games to have minimal issues without updated drivers.

It is a console port which can end badly for anyone. It is also DirectX 12 which is relatively new and can cause issues itself. Its not like launch problems are a rarity. It happens with every platform and every developer. There is no need to bring out the pitchforks against M$ like you seem to be wanting.
    I bring out "pitchforks" against any AAA developer that releases terrible PC ports of games. Especially when the company is trying to hype up their new storefront and their return to PC.

15+ Year Old Account
    I bring out "pitchforks" against any AAA developer that releases terrible PC ports of games. Especially when the company is trying to hype up their new storefront and their return to PC.
    But it is specific to certain AMD cards only and only to Nvidia gsync monitors. You are crucifying M$ with out putting any blame onto the other people involved. Why can't you equally blame everyone involved? Why is it only M$ fault? You are purposefully not being objective just so you can hate. And bringing hype of their return to PC as a reason to hate on only them. Which again shows bias against m$.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums/...b54420db/posts

Most of the Issues are on from things that Microsoft can't control. AMD is still responsible for making sure their hardware works. And not everything can be caught in Q&A. As someone who posts a lot in gaming threads you should be well aware of that fact. But again you seem to only blame M$ and actively say it isn't the fault of AMD because their stuff doesn't work. It has to M$ fault because its M$ and they are trying to create their own version of steam. Paraphrased of course. DirectX 12 is new for everyone and you can count the released games that use it on one hand. It is bound to not work well with drivers.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

But it is specific to certain AMD cards only and only to Nvidia gsync monitors. You are crucifying M$ with out putting any blame onto the other people involved.
    I enjoy the bolder hyperbole. Thanks for that!

Again, it's ultimately down to Microsoft to ensure that the game they're publishing works on cards and with features from both AMD and Nvidia, and if they don't then that they make end users aware that certain features are not supported.

Why can't you equally blame everyone involved? Why is it only M$ fault? You are purposefully not being objective just so you can hate. And bringing hype of their return to PC as a reason to hate on only them. Which again shows bias against m$.
    I don't hate Microsoft. I enjoy giving them a ribbing when they screw up, but I give every company a ribbing when they screw up. Beyond that, it's not up to AMD and Nvidia to approach Microsoft and ensure that their cards work with their games. It's up to Microsoft to approach AMD and Nvidia, both of whom they work with regularly and have strong contacts at, to ensure that they and provide the proper support to ensure that their (Microsoft's) game work on their hardware and with their drivers.

Most of the Issues are on from things that Microsoft can't control. AMD is still responsible for making sure their hardware works. And not everything can be caught in Q&A.
    Then why are so many games released without the need for driver updates to ensure compatibility? Why didn't Microsoft approach them to ensure that updated drivers were released to support the Gear release, as happens often times with major releases?

Beyond this, apparently these issues are pretty widespread across AMD cards that should have been found through internal testing/QA.

But again you seem to only blame M$ and actively say it isn't the fault of AMD because their stuff doesn't work.
    Their cards do work, the fact that they don't work with this game is not their fault unless they refused to work with Microsoft.

It has to M$ fault because its M$ and they are trying to create their own version of steam.
    Nope, it's Microsoft's fault because it's Microsoft's fault. This has nothing directly to do with the Window's store that they're pushing, I only referenced it in my earlier post (and included it in this article) because it's related to their high level push to get back into the PC gaming space. Them launching a game with serious performance issues doesn't bode well for that effort.

DirectX 12 is new for everyone and you can count the released games that use it on one hand. It is bound to not work well with drivers.
    Indeed, but this isn't a true DX12 game. It takes advantage of a few of its features bit it's limited in scope in terms of implementing the full capabilities of DX12.

15+ Year Old Account
    Their cards do work, the fact that they don't work with this game is not their fault unless they refused to work with Microsoft.
    If cards work with every game released then why does AMD and NVIDIA release new drivers for newly released games? There is a reason why NVIDIA calls them game ready drivers after all. New games sometimes require new drivers in order to function properly. New drivers are not released by the game publisher but by the card developer (AMD/NVIDIA). While DX12 does help mitigate some of that it still requires some work from card companies.

While you dismiss it as hyperbole and say you don't hate M$ the bias shows. "It's Microsoft's fault because it's Microsoft's fault". You continue to put no blame on the card companies and even ignorantly state that their cards work and don't need new drivers for new game releases. You even state it has nothing to do with the store yet you still used it as a way to attack M$ over the store. The bias is clear and I'm not sure why you are even continuing to deny it when your words speak for themselves.

If cards work with every game released then why does AMD and NVIDIA release new drivers for newly released games?
    Notice that I never claimed they work for every game without driver updates and called out that often times games launch with Nvidia/AMD driver updates to support them?

Yeah, about that.

There is a reason why NVIDIA calls them game ready drivers after all. New games sometimes require new drivers in order to function properly. New drivers are not released by the game publisher but by the card developer (AMD/NVIDIA). While DX12 does help mitigate some of that it still requires some work from card companies.
    Again, notice where I repeatedly pointed out that it's up to Microsoft to reach out to AMD and Nvidia to work with them to release drivers to support their game if necessary? It wouldn't be the first time Microsoft has done something like this and they absolutely have the power and relationship to do this.

While you dismiss it as hyperbole and say you don't hate M$ the bias shows. "It's Microsoft's fault because it's Microsoft's fault". You continue to put no blame on the card companies and even ignorantly state that their cards work and don't need new drivers for new game releases.
    Yup, that's a factual statement. If Nvidia or AMD came out and said they were approached by Microsoft to work on driver updates to support the GoW launch but refused, then it would be on those two entirely. But they haven't said that, so the onus is on Microsoft. This is kinda how responsibility works.

You even state it has nothing to do with the store yet you still used it as a way to attack M$ over the store. The bias is clear and I'm not sure why you are even continuing to deny it when your words speak for themselves.
    Yup, I'm poking fun at Microsoft's much trumpeted return to PC gaming starting out falling flat on their face, more or less. I absolutely want Microsoft to succeed, but after months and months of announcements and proclamations about how they've learned from their past failure with GFWL and how they're going to treat PC with the same level of attention they treat Xbox etc., I'm going to give them a hard time when they fail at it.

Just as I give Sony a hard time when they screw up. And Nintendo. And Blizzard. And EA. And Ubisoft. And I think you get the picture.

If you want to pretend Microsoft is some kind of victim because I'm being critical of them, go for it. I'll sit here and chuckle at it.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Man am I glad I didn't fall for the "free" upgrade to windows 10...
    I hope you enjoy playing the games you own on Windows 7 because eventually you will have to upgrade or not play new games. May take 5 years but it will inevitably happen and their plan is for all future Windows to use 10 as their base upgrade point. Eventually you will upgrade for a game that has higher requirements than what you currently have.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I hope you enjoy playing the games you own on Windows 7 because eventually you will have to upgrade or not play new games. May take 5 years but it will inevitably happen and their plan is for all future Windows to use 10 as their base upgrade point. Eventually you will upgrade for a game that has higher requirements than what you currently have.
    That is the thing people will have to upgrade sooner or later whether they like it or not, especially when the newer games and software will only work on the latest OS's (ie Directx 12 and on)..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeGee View Post
    First thing i did when i installed Windows 10 was Disable the Store and Xbox app ^^
    Same here. Outright removed it. Got rid of Windows Defender too.

You can change the install location of windows store apps the default settings. You can't pick a location for each individual app though. But I don't change my steam library for each game installed. I have only ever changed that one one drive got full ( I now have two 2 tb drives so that won't be a big concern now).

- - - Updated - - -

It may be a cash grab but both can be played for free. You basically pay for the removal of ads and a few other things. You don't need to pay to play.
    If it actually played like the earlier version that would be annoying enough with the ads, but the solitaire is vastly changed, and not in my view for the better.
    Really, if that that was sold anywhere else you would expect to be paying no more than 1yrs subscription for the whole thing, not a temporary rental.

You aren't even getting an outright better product for free, let alone when you pay.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

New games sometimes require new drivers in order to function properly. New drivers are not released by the game publisher but by the card developer (AMD/NVIDIA). While DX12 does help mitigate some of that it still requires some work from card companies.
    New games require new drivers to function properly at times—and when they show up, that means the developer did their job in working with the card companies to make them available. If you're releasing a game on the PC, it's kinda important to make sure they actually RUN on a PC now, isn't it? That's what QA is for: You have a bunch of Reference cards and systems and make sure they actually work. This is only compounded by the fact that Microsoft makes DirectX, so if anyone should know how to get it working, its them.

You can't expect Nvidia and AMD to contact the publisher of every new title being developed, that's just ridiculous. Yes, they sometimes have ad campaigns related to specific titles (Arkham comes to mind), but at best they're going to provide some remote support to the developer on specific issues that crop up during QA. That's kinda their JOB. Especially when they're hyping a title like Forza that is going to draw the enthusiast crowd that is looking to run it on cutting edge tech, which includes things like 4K panels and G-Sync. This would be like Star Citizen developing their game without testing it on Nvidia Titan cards.

These are professionals, not your average teen working in fast food. Calling them out on failures directly related to their product should be expected, not handwaved.

- - - Updated - - -

That sounds more than a bit like coercion there. Also: We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Also also: VM for Windows10 for those specific games should be possible. Besides that they might pull their heads out of their asses and change everything for Windows11 anyways, just like they scrapped Win8 Metro apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Same here. Outright removed it. Got rid of Windows Defender too.
    Getting rid of windows defender is a little silly, its like saying the first thing you do when you get a new car is to remove all the airbags and seatbelts to reduce weight.

Deleted
    Oh the nostalgia. When Steam, which is an intrusive, greedy DRM tool at heart, was new, we had similar threads by the dozen. All it takes for the lemmings to jump, is one really really hyped game. Five years from now, most of us will be Windows store customers.

Deleted
    Well, Steam was a piece of shit back when all it did was basically run Counter-Strike, long before Source. It was a completely unnecessary layer that got slapped on CS (and the other mods, obviously), and it looked absolutely horrendous. And it ate some frames from a game where every single frame was extremely important. But, then again, back then it wasn't a service from which you buy games and then play them. It was just running Half-Life.

This Windows Store thing is, on the other hand, such a service, and as such, it should work.

If i want the Gears of war Ultimate edition what do i do then? Is there any other options than getting it in the app store?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    Why don't Microsoft just save everyone a headache and stick to what they're good at: Operating Systems.

It's been clear for a long time now that every single other thing they branch out into his half-assed or subpar compared to competitors.. just stop trying to be more, it's never going to happen.
    Not true by any means, as Xbox is losing out only to Playstation in consoles, and they have made some pretty good hardware in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    There's also no need to support shit that doesn't work.
    If everyone stuck to the familliar, the tried and tested and safe then where would gaming, or quite frankly entertainment in general be today.

Just seems to be another excuse to bash MS for the sake of it.

There are undoubtedly mistakes with the universal apps, cash grabs with the app subscriptions, and a major lack of transparency and cooperation when it comes to the telemetry in windows 10, and through patches older versions.
    But do not tar the entire work of the company with an immature, and biased generalisation which is simply not true.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.