SpaceX Launch Webcast is now live

For anyone interested SpaceX is attempting to launch another rocket and land the first stage on a barge in the ocean. This is the second attempt.

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

check it out if your interested

7+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully a leg doesn't collapse this time from not locking in place

I bet it fails again.

A boat has moved into the launch range, for safety reasons they need it to move out of the way. Chris Hadfield is doing a periscope while we wait if you want more info.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1YpKkPlekamGj

10+ Year Old Account
    Launch aborted on the ground at T-0:00. It's cool watching them professionally handle an abort, but it looks like that's one payload won't be going to space today. No cause for the abort yet.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Jeez that's a shame.

Yeah shame, wanted to see it take off.

Not quite scrubbed yet. 50 minute window to determine if they'll launch tonight.

EDIT: Scratch that. A few minutes later they confirmed launch is scrubbed.
    Last edited by Varteras; 2016-02-29 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    A boat has moved into the launch range, for safety reasons they need it to move out of the way. Chris Hadfield is doing a periscope while we wait if you want more info.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1YpKkPlekamGj
    lmao thats some really crafty corporate interfering right there. I wonder what company commissioned that boat to move into range and cause the flight to be scrubbed.

Sounds like spacex needs to invest in a more secure facility to do these launches. also why do they keep landing on a barge? Is is just so that failures end up in the ocean instead of on land possibly causing more dmg. I cant imagine that a barge is the best landing pad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phitness View Post
    lmao thats some really crafty corporate interfering right there. I wonder what company commissioned that boat to move into range and cause the flight to be scrubbed.

Sounds like spacex needs to invest in a more secure facility to do these launches. also why do they keep landing on a barge? Is is just so that failures end up in the ocean instead of on land possibly causing more dmg. I cant imagine that a barge is the best landing pad.
    Flexibity in recovery of the first stage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phitness View Post
    also why do they keep landing on a barge? Is is just so that failures end up in the ocean instead of on land possibly causing more dmg. I cant imagine that a barge is the best landing pad.
    TL : DR : Landing on the barge lets them launch heavier payloads.

At the point where the 2nd stage separates, the rocket is moving at about mach 5. To land on land, the rocket has decelerate to 0, then come back. This requires a significant amount of fuel be kept in reserve, rather than burned in the launch.

Conversely, for a barge landing, it doesn't need to decelerate to 0 (it's already going in the right direction, so it can follow a largely ballistic flight path), meaning less fuel keeps to be kept in reserve (meaning more mass can be launched).

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Apparently the boat strayed into a restricted zone. I'm going to laugh if I get to read about the boater footing the bill for the cost of aborting the launch.