Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    No, I said that players specifically go for certain keystones and nodes because they enable - or make viable - the build they're trying to use. They don't just "stumble upon" those keystones while randomly clicking nodes, the whole intent is to follow the path that lets them get to them, same as in any other talent "tree".

The only difference is that there are more "Mortal Strikes" to choose from. Other than that, the idea is exactly the same, you click on a bunch of "+1 damage" nodes over and over until you can finally get to the one that actually does something interesting or powerful for your build.

There are more options, sure. But the concept is the same.
    I actually don't understand your argument.

Right, that's why I said "keystones and other significant nodes". You pretty much go for those regardless of what is along the way. And the notables tend to be in little circular clusters with minor nodes that give similar, smaller bonuses. So you're mostly just spending X points on the silly "+10 int" nodes to get there and then 4-6 points on the notable and it's little cluster.
    Then you really shouldn't have said 'keystones' because that's not what keystones do or what they're for. Why'd you bring them up at all :x

Yeah...but like I said, you don't even care what stat they are, you just take them because they're "on the road" to what you really want. Pure spellcaster? Take those Strength nodes because they're on the way to that +fire damage (or whatever, that's not specific! ) notable cluster that you need.
    But you do care what stat they are. Every build uses a mix of stats. If you're playing a fire build you probably need some strength nodes for your supports. While you're levelling it's entirely likely that you'll consider an alternate route to get those stats to activate or level your gems
    Last edited by LilSaihah; 2016-03-03 at 03:00 AM.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really liked Wrath's skill tree. I remember specifically being able to damage and heal at the same time in a dungeon, it was so fun(dungeons were so boring to heal, so I made it a bit challenging).
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Can I choose vanilla WoW talent trees?

I liked DCU's talent system, where you went out in the world and completed achievements and it gave you points that you save up and expend to increase the power of your powers and abilities. Destroy 100 fuel cannisters, defeat 1000 henchmen, defeat catwoman in X campaign quest, find all 50 hidden villains, destroy 100 robot enemies, ect. The harder the achievement the more power points it gave you.

It made me want to go out and do things in the world because I empowered myself doing so. I actually farmed a completed dungeon because it had 6 fuel cannisters that would constantly respawn for the achievement of 500 fuel cannisters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Can I choose vanilla WoW talent trees?
    Yeah any game and any iteration.

PoE's system is probably my favorite. I do wish you could plot your progression out a bit in advance though so you didn't need to go in and click on the ability every level. I tend to forget what I was doing every once in awhile. The big grid, and the mix of active and passive gems give you a completely customizeable character, it's exactly what I like.

It's a shame it's just a arpg though, I'd prefer that sort of system in a more RPG game.

I don't really see the point of these newer sorts of skill trees where everything is equally accessible and purchased at the same value. Why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambosaur View Post
    Holy crap that Path of Exile skill tree would make me want to commit suicide.
    It really isn't as complex as it seems. You pick the path that gives you the most passive ++ strengths/health/damage/defense/resists you can get, with the ability nodes that compliment your build. More often than not 50% of the tree might as well be blank space to your characters build.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Actually they are better than the old trees but completely different. They are, I think what glyphs should have been. A good skill tree should be best of both worlds, I think. Meaningful options as well as the ability to build your character as opposed to just adding flavor stuff.
    This is one of the most reasonable posts of the Old vs New talent trees I've seen. The biggest downfall between both trees from what I've seen are that the popular criticisms of each are completely exaggerated, untrue, or over valued. Which has lead to poor advancement in the games tree for character advancement.

Anyone think it's interesting that Blizzard decided to bring back the old talent trees in the form of Artifact traits? Although you always fill out everything anyway, you still have to spend a lot of time making choices in the tree. I wonder if they are testing a way to bring it back? Or maybe they think the best way to do the old talent tree is basically make them Draenor Perks, but where you get to make choices, but at the end of the road everyone ends up the same anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Anyone think it's interesting that Blizzard decided to bring back the old talent trees in the form of Artifact traits? Although you always fill out everything anyway, you still have to spend a lot of time making choices in the tree. I wonder if they are testing a way to bring it back? Or maybe they think the best way to do the old talent tree is basically make them Draenor Perks, but where you get to make choices, but at the end of the road everyone ends up the same anyways.
    You're necroing an old thread here, but whatever.

But, that said, I think it's an attempt at the old talent trees without the talent trees breaking when a new expansion adds new talents to the top of each tree. Blizzard got increasingly strict on how you could spend talents across trees as the trees got taller in order to remove the problem with unpredictable hybrid specs. By using the weapons as a talent tree, they can recook the talents with each expansion, or midway through if they feel the need to change them. It's a more modular approach and could potentially work out well.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    You're necroing an old thread here, but whatever.
    So, I still want to discuss.

Please don't necro old threads. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-07-24 at 08:00 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy, this thread made me want to play Rift again !! By far, this game has the best "skill tree" of any game ii have ever played.

Edit: Lol, now that i noticed this thread was "necroed"

Deleted
    I think its really hard to have a balanced symbiosis of alternatives in a MMO, so my conclusion is that MMORPGs are better suited with easy talent trees.

But when we talk about a solo player experience, i love a lot of possible choices no matter if they are balanced. Cookie cutting isnt as interesting as immersion in a solo player environment.

Borderlands has an interesting system. Diablo 2 was nice. PoE is a little bit too massive.