Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    White people have been nominated for BET awards (NAACP awards too)
    Be honest though, how often does this actually happen where white people win BET awards compared to how often black actors win in the more traditional award show ceremonies?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Let's not even pretend there is some objective metric for the Academy.
    so much edge

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Why do so many people care about this fabricated controversy? Minorities aren't underrepresented relative to the US population, so... it's just made up, to have something to complain about.

Incidentally, how are some of the richest, most privileged people in the entire world taken seriously when they complain about their situation?

What the fuck is wrong with these people? And everyone who takes them seriously?

Wait... this post now constitutes me caring about this nontroversy... at least a tiny, tiny bit, which is far more than it deserves. Goddamn it, it roped me in.
    So you're saying because they're black we shouldn't take them seriously......

Why do so many people care about this fabricated controversy? Minorities aren't underrepresented relative to the US population, so... it's just made up, to have something to complain about.

Incidentally, how are some of the richest, most privileged people in the entire world taken seriously when they complain about their situation?

What the fuck is wrong with these people? And everyone who takes them seriously?

Wait... this post now constitutes me caring about this nontroversy... at least a tiny, tiny bit, which is far more than it deserves. Goddamn it, it roped me in.
    They use their position to try to get a point through. It's probably not because they feel sorry for themselves.

Ditto, I really don't give a shit about the story, but I guess I gave enough of a shit to post something. I don't really think this is "oppression" though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    He's right on the opportunity thing.

I'm trying the think of a role that any black actor or actress was in that is worth nominating their performance for. They only two actors I can think of that were in anything notable recently are John Boyega in Star Wars and Anthony Mackay in Avengers. Neither role is worth a nomination unless ensemble cast is a category, not sure if it is.

There were no nominations for black actors this year since there just weren't any role/actors worth nominating. Look at previous years in which there were some worthy of a nomination, Denzel Washington wins for Training Day, Halle Berry wins for monsters ball, Will Smith won for Ali, Jamie Foxx won for Ray, I think the guy from 12 years a slave was nominated. Maybe if black people stopped doing crappy movie roles that perpetrate stereotypes like in movies like Ride Along, Hot Tub Time Machine and Soul Plane and did some roles of substance they would be nominated, but this harks back to the diversity/oppurtunity thing, these types of roles are the majority of what is offered to black actors, then when something good finally does come along, they get nominated and often end up winning for it.
    We have roles written specifically for white people, but in some very notable areas, minority roles are completely interchangeable. Movies like Gods of Egypt, Exodus, the Passion, were all set in areas which one would imagine should encourage casters to dip into the mocha side of the crayon box, but we still had leads cast closer to the Swiss coffee section. The roles can be there, but we cast otherwise.
    Last edited by GodlyBob; 2016-02-29 at 05:07 AM.

Miss me with the whole "good roles" thing. There are plenty of race-agnostic roles out there. Finn wasn't written black (Star Wars).

It comes down to what Rock was saying. Look at this Gofs of Egypt. It's a shit movie to be fair, but the leads are all bronzed white people. Emma Stone played a half asain woman last year. A movie about Moses starred two white dudes as Moses and the Pharaoh. I could go on.

I don't think this is the reality for any necessarily nefarious reasons, but it is the reality, and it needs to change.

Also, just stop bringing up BET. Half of you have no idea what you're talking about, or your memeory doesn't go past last month.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    so much edge
    Ah yes, "the Academy often has a subjective and often nonsensical set of results" is suuuuuper edgy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    What are you even on about? That, if a voting process were in effect, a white gay man would be voted over a straight black man? Chris's complaint is still that it's not a black person, but claims "diversity! diversity!"

Gay people are considered diversity...
    That IS the joke?! That NPH is also part of a minority but would still get selected over blacks. How is this hard to grasp.

Yeah man oscars so white mexicans won the most awards.

so white.. soooo white

10+ Year Old Account
    They talk about diversity and then only mention that "black" people don't get enough recognition, forget about latino, asians, arbas etc becaus we all know that it is all about black ppl nowdays.

John Oliver's take has already been linked, and I think they summed it up best, but that's what Chris Rock was referring to when he said "we want opportunity." This is pretty straight forward unless you have a racist axe to grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxz View Post
    Miss me with the whole "good roles" thing. There are plenty of race-agnostic roles out there. Finn wasn't written black (Star Wars).

It comes down to what Rock was saying. Look at this Gofs of Egypt. It's a shit movie to be fair, but the leads are all bronzed white people. Emma Stone played a half asain woman last year. A movie about Moses starred two white dudes as Moses and the Pharaoh. I could go on.

I don't think this is the reality for any necessarily nefarious reasons, but it is the reality, and it needs to change.

Also, just stop bringing up BET. Half of you have no idea what you're talking about, or your memeory doesn't go past last month.
    Why does it need to change?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    In a lot of ways a culture can be defined by the art that it produces. Many feel that a culture that systematically scrubs its media of minority people, particularly historically minority people, is really just scrubbing itself of minorities by proxy.

Ah yes, "the Academy often has a subjective and often nonsensical set of results" is suuuuuper edgy.
    Again, stop acting as if its job is to be logical and representative.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    They talk about diversity and then only mention that "black" people don't get enough recognition, forget about latino, asians, arbas etc becaus we all know that it is all about black ppl nowdays.
    So, the appropriate response is to ignore minority grievances until they properly unionize and legitimize the white/not white dichotomy race paradigm.

Why shouldn't it?

Again, stop acting as if its job is to be logical and representative.
    I'm not the one who acted like they were. Take it up with derpkitteh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    "A racist axe to grind" often seems to be the case behind how fervently people defend existing inequality, but I'm always left wondering if there isn't a conflict with some other belief at the heart of it.
    Honestly I don't think much of the counter argument is racism per se so much as its just contrarian shittines.

Deceptive historical revisionism seems kind of like something we wouldn't want to me.
    It's not revisionism, it's just white people acting as someone of a different role in a fantasy movie. Was this a historical documentary about Egyptian Gods? ... You'd have something of an argument if this were a Tarantino film where it's obviously trying to be close to history about slave-era blacks who get played by whites. An even better one if the movie intended to show a historical, documentary-style account of historical events or views.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why should we start casting race appropriate actors into period pieces instead of telling minorities that there's just no parts for them? Because circular reasoning is the best reasoning, obviously.