Thread: Leo Finally Won

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by robomatticus View Post
    Behind Star Wars yes, but leagues ahead of Mad Max, another supremely overrated film of 2015.
    Overrated is one of the worst and most arrogant words a person can use. "OMG, you like this too much, staph it!1". That's the long version of "overrated".

Mad Max was visually stunning, and the film was fantastic, it is not for everyone, but I cannot fathom the people who can't even understand why it is so revered.

He won the Oscar for his worst nomination imo.
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Overrated is one of the worst and most arrogant words a person can use. "OMG, you like this too much, staph it!1". That's the long version of "overrated".

Mad Max was visually stunning, and the film was fantastic, it is not for everyone, but I cannot fathom the people who can't even understand why it is so revered.
    It's overrated because pretty visuals don't make up for a boring story. People revere it so much because millennials are too easily pleased.

Deleted
    It's overrated because pretty visuals don't make up for a boring story. People revere it so much because millennials are too easily pleased.
    Tbh it just sounds you hate most 'hyped' movies.

Everyone likes it? Then it must be bad.

to be fair, the plot of mad max is pretty shit and shouldnt be the main reason someone should go see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Tbh it just sounds you hate most 'hyped' movies.

Everyone likes it? Then it must be bad.
    it would probably be easier to comment on movies he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelated senpai View Post
    to be fair, the plot of mad max is pretty shit and shouldnt be the main reason someone should go see it.

- - - Updated - - -

it would probably be easier to comment on movies he likes.
    A common criticism, which I think is completely wrong, it is subtle and rich storytelling at its finest.

Deleted
    The second worst film of the nominees won best picture.

I'm actually surprised Leo won, was expecting Cranston to win.
    Guess the social media campaign paid off after all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pixelated senpai View Post
    Understanding motivations and having character arcs is a lost art I grant you.

A common criticism, which I think is completely wrong, it is subtle and rich storytelling at its finest.
    If its a common criticism does it make it any less true or more true? A wonderful storytelling of a bad plot.

LEO! LEO! LEO!

The only thing better than this is Leo never winning one and the actor who plays him in a few decades wins one for his portrayal of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

If its a common criticism does it make it any less true or more true? A wonderful storytelling of a bad plot.
    Truth and commonness probably correlate positivly a litlle. Not sure if there is a causation, but if there is, its definetely not truth is caused by commoness. But since we are talking about a preference here, I think the answer is "the question doesnt make sense"

Bad is not really something you can argue about. Its just a judgement, it doenst mean anything to other people, when you say something is bad. So to describe the plot I would pick something like "minimalistic". Then people can think about if they like that kind of plot or not. Which I agree commonly the answer would probably be "no".
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Nah, Mad Max' story was retarded as fuck. The ending especially was one of the biggest wats in a long time. It was acceptable though, because it was not just a hollywood movie, but an action movie and thus retarded as fuck plots are to be expected.

It was a good movie because it had great effects, great characters, and it was filmed in a way that didn't piss you off as you were watching it the way a lot of action moves do these days. Shakycam needs to die.

On-topic: Leo doesn't deserve an oscar; the guy just plays himself slightly exaggerated in one direction or the other in every movie he plays. In every role, you can absolutely tell that you're watching Leonardo Dicaprio on screen. Compare him to fukken Tom Hardy, who my brother (that I went to watch it with) didn't even recognize. That's a good actor; someone who becomes his role. Leo is just... Leo... and him getting best actor just demonstrates how much of a farce the oscars are.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Film is a visual art form. If you're only interested in story, perhaps books are more your speed. You can't simply discount the form when discussing art.

He should have won it ages ago for titanic or Romeo & Juliet

Deleted
    Leo almost won...

Stood in the Fire Larsadius Rex's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've discovered my new least favorite poster. This guy's dangerous running around with all that edge.
    -----------------------------------------------
    “It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”

I don't quite understand why we need another Leo/Oscars thread or why its devolved into a bashing on mad max thread either. In terms of Mad max, it was easily one of the best films I've seen for awhile. Why? Its a great character driven story in a deeply rich world that was beautifully shot and made and provided constant entertainment. Its pacing is near flawless and some of visual scenes are just flat out epic. The bullet maker blind folded just firing off rounds declaring himself the scales of justice comes to mind. Max was running from his past and Furiosa was redeeming hers. Plus you had the viewpoints of three different generations in a post apocalyptic setting. It was a rare treat.

Millennials whom largely weren't even born for the original Mad Max films- of which this film is a direct continuation?

Boring doesn't mean anything. Neither does story. Those may be aspects you assign, enjoy or otherwise value personally.

If I thought Mad Max was either boring or displeasing, it would not mean anything as to whether a film is overrated. The film, Mad Max Fury Road, seems to be rated fairly accurately among a broad section of professional film critics. It's one of the most consistently rated films in the last few years.

This thread is pretty off-topic now and kind of pointless in the larger context of announcing a singular event. If you want to keep discussing the Oscars, there's a much bigger thread already going. Closing.