Why are they still awarding GvG packs?

With the YEAR OF THE KRAKEN slated to begin very shortly, why is it that GVG packs are still being rewarded? I'm sure there are still some folks out there who are collecting GVG cards (I'm guessing like 3 or 4 people at most) but for god's sake, at least give me the option of choosing the pack I want.

Chances are they any cards I get will get DE'ed anyways, but still I'd rather try my luck at getting cards that I'll actually be able to use in a few weeks.

I realize this whole Year of... thing is brand spanking new, but Blizz needs to consider these things for the future.

You mean from the random packs in Arena runs?

Well I'm fine with getting GvG cards, and even if you don't want them they're basically pure dust to you. But yeah the way they award random packs in Arena has always seemed pretty crappy, surely it's not that hard to create a "credit pack" that's exchangeable for any kind of pack. Or some kind of pack trading system inside the shop so you can swap packs (this would be handy if people misclick the packs they're buying too...).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You mean from the random packs in Arena runs?

Well I'm fine with getting GvG cards, and even if you don't want them they're basically pure dust to you. But yeah the way they award random packs in Arena has always seemed pretty crappy, surely it's not that hard to create a "credit pack" that's exchangeable for any kind of pack. Or some kind of pack trading system inside the shop so you can swap packs (this would be handy if people misclick the packs they're buying too...).
    I still think that the token would of been great personally. Or even just have at the start pick what kind of pack you want at the end or something.

And probably because the cards will still be useful for the next like, month at least.

Ya, I always thought getting a pack "token" would have been a better option. Yes, I'm at that stage where most cards from packs get DE'd anyways, but I'd rather try my luck at a pack of cards that will be useful to me for more then a month regardless.

Something for Blizz to consider when the next YEAR roles around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    surely it's not that hard to create a "credit pack" that's exchangeable for any kind of pack. Or some kind of pack trading system inside the shop so you can swap packs (this would be handy if people misclick the packs they're buying too...).
    This virtual opening of "packs" has always been bullshit. It's also not that hard to ensure you don't open duplicate cards, they should do that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    This virtual opening of "packs" has always been bullshit. It's also not that hard to ensure you don't open duplicate cards, they should do that as well.
    Blizzard has been doing this random drop for "loot" for quite a while now. Even if I don't agree it's proven to be successful.

Duplicate card prevention would never happen. Hearthstone's income is from packs and adventures, that would cut into the pack income. I mean, they haven't even put duplicate roll protection in WoW, and that would have a smaller impact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    Blizzard has been doing this random drop for "loot" for quite a while now. Even if I don't agree it's proven to be successful.
    It can't be proven either way that it's random. Blizzard gives you whatever cards they want so they can maximize people willing to buy virtual packs. The 'pity timer' for Legendaries had to be discovered by us so exactly how 'random' is it? It's all fake and contrived.

It can't be proven either way that it's random. Blizzard gives you whatever cards they want so they can maximize people willing to buy virtual packs. The 'pity timer' for Legendaries had to be discovered by us so exactly how 'random' is it? It's all fake and contrived.
    A pity timer doesn't change that.

There's a pity timer on Diablo 3 too, there's a roll prevention mechanic in WoW to ensure your bonus rolls won't give nothing over and over, yet those games still are RNG based. The pity part just prevents you from having completely terrible RNG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    A pity timer doesn't change that.

There's a pity timer on Diablo 3 too, there's a roll prevention mechanic in WoW to ensure your bonus rolls won't give nothing over and over, yet those games still are RNG based. The pity part just prevents you from having completely terrible RNG.
    Exactly, then it ceases to be true RNG as we are led to originally believe because the results are coerced into whatever form they want that only they know. They don't even publish their random number generation methods like poker sites do.

Exactly, then it ceases to be true RNG as we are led to originally believe because the results are coerced into whatever form they want that only they know. They don't even publish their random number generation methods like poker sites do.
    No, it doesn't. It means one tiny part of it is made more fair.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it doesn't. It means one tiny part of it is made more fair.
    Which brings us back to the point that it's fake and contrived.

No, because one person can still get 10 epics or legendaries in a row, while another could get 10 rares.

Prevention of bad RNG doesn't mean there is no RNG.

Everything in a game is fake and contrived. Doesn't make it not fun.

Rng like this has been proven to be popular and successful for years in many games. It's not the only way to do things but idk why people question it so much unless they are educated in that kind of subject.
    Last edited by Krazzorx; 2016-03-01 at 10:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, because one person can still get 10 epics or legendaries in a row, while another could get 10 rares.

Prevention of bad RNG doesn't mean there is no RNG.
    It's RNG but with controlled parameters that they are not willing to disclose. If Blizzard were explicitly open about the mechanics of pack openings and their RNG I would take it all back but they won't do that. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    Everything in a game is fake and contrived. Doesn't make it not fun.
    Agreed.

And you're sure there's another game with pure rng?

I mean why does it matter one bit if they tell us how it works?

There's just no benefit in being THAT cynical in things that have no chance of affecting you. Plenty of other things to be suspicious about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

It's RNG but with controlled parameters that they are not willing to disclose. If Blizzard were explicitly open about the mechanics of pack openings and their RNG I would take it all back but they won't do that. Why?
    They don't give out any of the RNG parameters for any of their game, who knows why

They seem to be alright with saying any benefits they put in it, like bad luck prevention though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    And you're sure there's another game with pure rng?

I mean why does it matter one bit if they tell us how it works?

There's just no benefit in being THAT cynical in things that have no chance of affecting you. Plenty of other things to be suspicious about.
    Doesn't matter to me because I don't buy packs I just hate black boxes.

Deleted
    maybe they don't tell us the mechanics of pack openings and their rng because this would prove that the devs at Blizz are not people but werewolves, from the moon (SP)

That's how every card game ever works.

You really want to analyze it to that level? Just be grateful we have the bad luck protection...

Anyway, Hearthstone uses a dust system, so it actually has built in luck protection anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.