Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Just a question, but is there ANY game that allows for cross-platform play?
    Off the top of my head I know Rocket League. I frequently play with PS4 players on PC

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Off the top of my head I know Rocket League. I frequently play with PS4 players on PC
    And yet again, Street Fighter V.

I wish it would become more the norm than the exception, personally. Segregating player communities just sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Yeah, Owning all those Console-Peasants would be a blast!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I wish it would become more the norm than the exception, personally. Segregating player communities just sucks.
    At this very moment segregation is good - I really don't want pad user on my team in FPS game :PPPPPPPPPPP. When consoles "catch-up" on full M&K support and make it more popular, then we can have a discussion about "merging communities".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    And yet again, Street Fighter V.
    Interesting. AFAIK it only works in Rocket League because most PC players I know already use controllers since the m+kb scheme is terrible. I know I can't play that game without a controller.

And with street fighter I reckon most people are competitive by nature and buy fight sticks

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue isn't "console peasants can't keep up with PC master race", it's that a mouse simply has far more rapid range of motion and accuracy compared to anything in the controller market (maybe the Steam controller's haptic touchpads can compete, but that's really new and I haven't tried them). There are plenty of games and genres, like Rocket League and most fighting games, where that speed and accuracy really don't matter or don't even functionally exist as an input dynamic, but for those where it does (like pretty much any shooter), it's a massive advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The issue isn't "console peasants can't keep up with PC master race", it's that a mouse simply has far more rapid range of motion and accuracy compared to anything in the controller market (maybe the Steam controller's haptic touchpads can compete, but that's really new and I haven't tried them). There are plenty of games and genres, like Rocket League and most fighting games, where that speed and accuracy really don't matter or don't even functionally exist as an input dynamic, but for those where it does (like pretty much any shooter), it's a massive advantage.
    Afaik all the consoles these days support keyboards / mice. So if the problem really comes down to controller vs keyboard, it already exists on both platforms.

Thee most competitive console players *will* be using the superior peripheral, and for people who are just playing to have fun it frankly doesn't matter much. I can't fathom people are sitting there on consoles wondering whether or not someones using a controller or a keyboard even though that is a completely legitimate question even without cross platform play.

I imagine there's a better excuse for it than the controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Just a question, but is there ANY game that allows for cross-platform play?
    FF14 is another one iirc.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWJamaica View Post
    Overwatch should have cross platform play because competitive players are going to use keyboard and mouse on the consoles anyway. I know I will.
    Actually no. :/ I would have thought the same thing, being a KB&Mouse FPS player myself ... but if you take a look over at CoD (Yeah yeah, hate CoD if you want, but love it or hate it it's kind of THE FPS experience at the moment since DICE completely dropped the ball on the Battlefield franchise.) -THE- platform for it? PS4. Major tournaments are on PS4, the most lively community is on PS4, and the method of controls that competitive players use? A PS4 controller. Some of them mod their PS4 controllers so they don't have to hold it in a funky way (claw grip) - But they use controllers.

I was pretty shocked actually when I saw that on tournament streams on Twitch and then on players' personal streams. Very very rarely do I see anyone using KB&Mouse.

Edit: And as someone in the alpha or beta or whatever they're calling it ... The game has other massive issues that need to be fixed before they worry about tackling the issue of cross platform multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Edit: And as someone in the alpha or beta or whatever they're calling it ... The game has other massive issues that need to be fixed before they worry about tackling the issue of cross platform multiplayer.
    What are those do you think?

I only had the beta weekend a while back but the most offensive thing I found was that there were choke points on maps that often ended up frustrating. Didn't really have any other major complaints, but I don't like fps games typically so I was surprised I was having as much fun on this as I was at all.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    At this very moment segregation is good - I really don't want pad user on my team in FPS game :PPPPPPPPPPP. When consoles "catch-up" on full M&K support and make it more popular, then we can have a discussion about "merging communities".
    It's fine if they're on the enemy team though!

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Rocket League? Thats Cross-platform and very popular.
    It's also worth noting that this, and other games that are cross platform are NOT FPSs that inherently put you at an advantage if you use M+K.
    Street Fighter and Rocket League are nicer to play with a pad than M+K.
    Last edited by Zelendria; 2016-03-11 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Actually no. :/ I would have thought the same thing, being a KB&Mouse FPS player myself ... but if you take a look over at CoD (Yeah yeah, hate CoD if you want, but love it or hate it it's kind of THE FPS experience at the moment since DICE completely dropped the ball on the Battlefield franchise.) -THE- platform for it? PS4. Major tournaments are on PS4, the most lively community is on PS4, and the method of controls that competitive players use? A PS4 controller. Some of them mod their PS4 controllers so they don't have to hold it in a funky way (claw grip) - But they use controllers.

I was pretty shocked actually when I saw that on tournament streams on Twitch and then on players' personal streams. Very very rarely do I see anyone using KB&Mouse.

Consoles completely dominate the FPS market currently, with the notable exceptions of TF2 and CSGO. The former nets more players offpeak than most of the console games have during their peak hours, and CSGO's off peak is easily 8 times TF2's number.

The CoD franchise and the BF and battlefront franchises are virtually nonexistent on PC. You could be seeing 30,40k players at off peak times for the console games, but for the PC versions there's maybe 3k during peak times. (BF4 is a slight exception, the PC player base is second only to the PS4 player base and then not by much)

That's why PS4 or Xbone are the tournament platforms of choice - no one is playing PC so there's no reason to do tournaments with PC. Plus tournament players would have to learn how to use a M&K control scheme when they're most comfortable with a gamepad.

Cross platform would fix the problem of PC players not being able to find games, but they'd also, on average, cream the console players. Its not that they're any better or console players are worse, the control scheme basically makes an average PC player equal or better than an experienced or elite console player.

There's also sony and MS pretty much locking their platforms down so they couldn't be cross platform anyway.

I actually think OW has a chance of maintaining larger numbers of players on PC (like TF2 has).

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it possible to use mouse and keyboard on an xbox? I didnt think so but theres a good chance im wrong. The last thing i want is to be matched up against a pc user on my xb1.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Is it possible to use mouse and keyboard on an xbox? I didnt think so but theres a good chance im wrong. The last thing i want is to be matched up against a pc user on my xb1.
    It will be this year. At least that's what MS is saying: full native support for keyboards and mouse control for XB1 this year. Next year steam (at least part of it) ill land on XB1 also.

Cross platform would be nice for PC players but I really don't think people on consoles would find it fun at all. There's also the fact that Microsoft and Sony will never agree on working together so that would not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Cross platform would be nice for PC players but I really don't think people on consoles would find it fun at all. There's also the fact that Microsoft and Sony will never agree on working together so that would not work.
    Didn't MS just announce XBone cross platform play with PS?

I only skimmed the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Didn't MS just announce XBone cross platform play with PS?

I only skimmed the article.
    They actually did. I stand corrected.
    This is indeed good news.
    I still don't think it would feel fair for the console players to play against PC players (in shooters at least) but I, myself would not be against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Will never happen, the networks for consoles are segregated and tightly controlled, as they should be.
    Wrong. Rocket League has cross platform play between PS4 and PC. Xbox One will have cross platform with PC soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    DCUO,Rocket League,FFXIV,SFV. All have cross platform play with ps4. Sony has done it and microsoft outright refuses to do it.
    I know it was recently announced, but...

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/14/112...play-announced

They're even extending an invitation to Sony to allow Xbox Live players play with Playstation Network players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahaga View Post
    Wrong. Rocket League has cross platform play between PS4 and PC. Xbox One will have cross platform with PC soon.

- - - Updated - - -

I know it was recently announced, but...

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/14/112...play-announced

They're even extending an invitation to Sony to allow Xbox Live players play with Playstation Network players.
    Xbox live network has never had the ability to play with PCs, their network is segregated, and not by technology, by politics. Even the PSN is segregated and tightly controlled, people can only name two games that allow PC access which further proves the point its not a technical issue, its a political one.

Ill believe that that PSN and Live users can play together when I see it. And just to be clear, I would love for this to happen. I had an original Xbox and wanted Counter Strike to be cross platform SO BADLY, but Execs at MS wouldnt allow it. They used excuses like "30 fps" and "Mouse and Keyboard", when in reality, they didnt want to relinquish ANY control of their Pay 2 Access network.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2016-03-15 at 04:03 PM.