want to upgrade my old system.

Hello Everyone,

I am planning on upgrading my old system and would like to get everyone advice on which parts you would upgrade first.
    The reason for this upgrade is that my system is over 5 years old and i am having some difficulties playing most games on nice settings while also streaming, CPU load is usually at around 90% and the system has locked up in the past(which is why i had to turn the settings down). also I do a lot of video rendering and programming that uses up a lot of ram.

Here is my current system.

Case: CM Storm Enforcer - Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case
    Heat Sink: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K OC to 4.5GHz
    MD: ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    HDD: 1TB WD Black caviar
    GPU : MSI GeForce GTX580 1536 MB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card N580GTX TWIN FROZR II/OC
    PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 850W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Bronze Certification and Semi-Modular Cables

so i was thinking of reusing my GPU, PSU and Storage for now, and upgrade my CPU, Motherboard and Ram, and wait for the new GPUs to come out before upgrading it.

budget: around $500 - $600

any input would be appreciated,

Thank You.
    Last edited by pyrotemplar; 2016-02-29 at 08:09 PM.

Deleted
    Yeah cpu with that overclock should be fine tho. In any case:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.78 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($131.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $541.75
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-29 15:22 EST-0500

You could grab an i7 but that would put you over 600$ and for that money you can make a X99 rig. Honestly i think your problem now is the gpu not the cpu. I would say wait with everything and go full out when gpu's are out. Basically you will make a new rig and re-use the hdd if you want.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2016-02-29 at 08:25 PM.

Honestly i think your problem now is the gpu not the cpu
    Well the game i am currently playing and streaming is massively threaded, i can run the game fine on good graphics but as soon as i start streaming my CPU load hits 100%.

also why wouldn't i be able to reuse my PSU?

Deleted
    You didn't mention the games you play. But as a ballpark, your 4.5Ghz i5 2500k will be roughly close to stock i5 6600k. If you are buying a new pc basically then you ought to buy a good new psu. Will you trust your new hardware to a 5-6yo psu? It might have been a champ until now but its getting old. Also old psu's are not compatible with haswell or skylake low states if that matters.

ah good to know on the PSU. the game is called FortressCraft Evolved.

second question. for longevity of the system(current one lasted me 5 years and can still run wow pretty good.) would you recommend X99 over Z170?

Deleted
    Thats a tricky question really. If you are in US then a X99mobo/i7 5820k is roughly the same money as i7 6700k/Z170 mobo. That doesn't apply to anywhere else on the planet , not that i know off at least.

Now you would think a 6core is a beast and is far better since that one is a fairly good overclocker and you would be right. Then again its around 1.5yo already and 1151socket (skylake) is the new tec so.... If you overclock that i7 5820k to 4.4-4.5Ghz then its all good compared to i5 or i7 skylake for gaming. Streaming on top of it won't make much difference. At video rendering though it will be kicking.

Deleted
    What do you use to stream? Do you use quick sync?

Because your CPU should still be fine for gaming. The GPU on the other could be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    What do you use to stream? Do you use quick sync?

Because your CPU should still be fine for gaming. The GPU on the other could be replaced.
    i use OBS, if the CPU is fine, how come it goes up to 100% load when i am streaming?

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotemplar View Post
    i use OBS, if the CPU is fine, how come it goes up to 100% load when i am streaming?
    Because you are not using quick sync or NVENC. Quick Sync will utilize the GPU on the CPU and not use as much of your CPU and NVENC will use an nVidia GPU to do the encoding, removing it from your CPU. If you are using other types of encoding, it is handled by the CPU.

All three have their advantages and disadvantages though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Because you are not using quick sync or NVENC. Quick Sync will utilize the GPU on the CPU and not use as much of your CPU and NVENC will use an nVidia GPU to do the encoding, removing it from your CPU. If you are using other types of encoding, it is handled by the CPU.

All three have their advantages and disadvantages though.
    thanks i will look into it.