Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    depends on the case. Some situations you cannot only rely on your mental planner. Maybe if its classes, then its already planned out and a daily habit. But an example is as a Film Director, you have independent meetings, setsup, rehearsals, film dates for the 30-50 gategor

Depends, if youre just taking classes then sure it becomes a routine. But there are many situations where you cant rely on your mental planner. A film director, producer , etc is an example. Meetings daily, and so many groups and categories, might as well have a planner in handy just in case
    Not in school, No kids, Job, Wife. Work in IT/WebDev... A lot of my time is spent building systems to track and help with time management of the company. So... I get a lot of... thoughts and opinions on this...

A lot of people in my company think that if we need to build systems like this, its mainly to manage the less effective people because they cannot manage themselves and they aren't right for the job. However on the flip side its hard to find "people that are right for the job" so we have people that get hired just fill a spot and they get used until they under preform for long enough or quit because they cannot keep up.

Puts me in a weird spot when they ask me to build stuff like this because if we had a more efficient team I could spend my time building system that better help the company but instead I am stuck building systems for people that usually won't last anyway and end up slowing down the **more** effective people.

Personally I think I have the natural skills I listed (as I sit on mmo champ typing this instead of working haha) however I don't require it nearly as much as the actual employees who do the real work and make the actual $$ of the company.

/shrug

edit: more not less
    Last edited by Gasper; 2016-03-01 at 06:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    This topic sounded so familiar to me so I had to check.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...their-own-life
    Maybe one of his goals he's planned out, as he explains in that other thread, is to try and indoctrinate people on the MMOC forums on a regular basis into planning their lives?

"Oh, it's been six months! Time to make yet another 'plan your days' -thread!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yeah. But this isn't about having general plans. This is about planning your days.
    You can have some general plans for your days too. Like, I do physical exercises every evening. Doesn't really make my life feel less spontaneous. Well, maybe a bit.

Planning the entire days though... yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    Not in school, No kids, Job, Wife. Work in IT/WebDev... A lot of my time is spent building systems to track and help with time management of the company. So... I get a lot of... thoughts and opinions on this...

A lot of people in my company think that if we need to build systems like this, its mainly to manage the less effective people because they cannot manage themselves and they aren't right for the job. However on the flip side its hard to find "people that are right for the job" so we have people that get hired just fill a spot and they get used until they under preform for long enough or quit because they cannot keep up.

Puts me in a weird spot when they ask me to build stuff like this because if we had a more efficient team I could spend my time building system that better help the company but instead I am stuck building systems for people that usually won't last anyway and end up slowing down the less effective people.

Personally I think I have the natural skills I listed (as I sit on mmo champ typing this instead of working haha) however I don't require it nearly as much as the actual employees who do the real work and make the actual $$ of the company.

/shrug
    If youre in a school or career where your weekly routine is the same, sure eventually you wont need a planner. Any position in filmmaking is sporadic. Filming, Meeting, Rehearsal, Audition Time & Day Scheduling are never consistently the same. You will definitely need a planner unless you have a producer/agent that takes care of that

and excuse me for my duplicate paragraph, the first paragraph was meant to be removed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    You can have some general plans for your days too.
    Well... I generally plan on breathing every day. I guess that counts.

just take the day as it comes to you.

Deleted
    Completely wing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    just take the day as it comes to you.
    Philosophically yes... realistically? No lol. In terms of maintaining your job/career

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    If youre in a school or career where your weekly routine is the same, sure eventually you wont need a planner. Any position in filmmaking is sporadic. Filming, Meeting, Rehearsal, Audition Time & Day Scheduling are never consistently the same. You will definitely need a planner unless you have a producer/agent that takes care of that

and excuse me for my duplicate paragraph, the first paragraph was meant to be removed
    Oh the people in this company don't come in and do the same thing daily... They are out in the field, in the office, it is a constant changing job for them, as it is for me, I have to manage help-desk alongside with development of apps for the company so my day is constantly changing as well, I am usually expected to attend big events for the company and get random tasks regularly along side the work I'm expected to do...

I have also briefly worked in film so I get how sporadic that can be. Just because I have a "desk job" doesn't make it routine as you would expect

Im just trying to say, day planning is a part of anyones life if they want to keep their shit together. But not everyone needs to sit down and precog it.

Deleted
    Going to work every day doesn't really apply here. It's hardly "planning your day." There aren't very many people in the world who go to work whenever they want to. Or school for that matter. The planning -part of the day is besides the typical stuff that being a part of society requires you to do. So you might consider work, or school, a kind of a daily "appointment", and clump it in with other appointments, such as doctors and other shit.

Having said that, people who then don't plan their free time out are much more likely just say "F it, not going to work/school today", because they have that ability to be free. Of course there may be consequences, but those are acknowledged when making such a spontaneous decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    Oh the people in this company don't come in and do the same thing daily... They are out in the field, in the office, it is a constant changing job for them, as it is for me, I have to manage help-desk alongside with development of apps for the company so my day is constantly changing as well, I am usually expected to attend big events for the company and get random tasks regularly along side the work I'm expected to do...

I have also briefly worked in film so I get how sporadic that can be. Just because I have a "desk job" doesn't make it routine as you would expect

Im just trying to say, day planning is a part of anyones life if they want to keep their shit together. But not everyone needs to sit down and precog it.
    Ultimately I use a memo/planner on my phone as backup/just for safety. I don't have to rely on it much but there are moments where I have to double check or so; or meetings are postponed and such where it's just nice to see your whole weekly schedule on page. Not necessary but I would think personally for many, it helps clear the mind