Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

Will Young v Department of Education: LGBT issues

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/will...b_9271840.html

I won't quote the entire article but basically a gay celebrity is accusing the Department of Education in not taking legitimate LGBT issues in school serious.

Two weekends ago at student LGBT pride, I was part of a panel discussing the various things that young LGBT could be up against in 2016. This ranged from mental wellbeing to drugs, as well as fitting into a new world and gay shame. Having been an advocate of young LGBT rights for the last two years, I was privileged to be on the panel. During the talk I voiced my opinions on the lack of awareness my government gives to homophobic language in schools, and said I don't believe our education secretary, Nicky Morgan, gives a shit about young LGBT rights.

New statistics show that 34% of young LGBT people will make a suicide attempt in comparison to 18% of young heterosexual people. A rise in 10 % since the last findings of 2012.

The reaction I got from the department of education to my comments was interesting, yet perhaps not wholly surprising. One of Nicky Morgan's charges said, 'We urge Will to focus on reviving his pop career'! What a sign of Nicky Morgan's charges that they come out with a statement like this (presumably wanting me to focus on pop instead of young LGBT rights?). Oh department of education... you have let yourself show your true colours.

Banning "homophobic language" has no effect on suicide rates whatsoever and does nothing to help "LGBT rights". All it does is infringe on freedom of speech.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Banning "homophobic language" has no effect on suicide rates whatsoever and does nothing to help "LGBT rights". All it does is infringe on freedom of speech.
    Freedom of Speech isn't without limits

Deleted
    "LGBT problems" fatigue is a real thing.

Who says you need to "ban" it? Doubt that would even work.

What we need to do is make it socially unacceptable. We're getting there.

Schools lag behind, partly because of regressive parents and partly because children are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    They didn't go away when straight people got bored of hearing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

18% of people make a suicide attempt? What?

Deleted
    Can't tell if you're implying fatigue due to sex or implying you're bored about these issues because they don't affect you

It's not the department's responsibility to make the place especially welcoming or make people aware or accepting. Homophobic language is fine if the schools are safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Yeah that figure seems crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Freedom of Speech isn't without limits
    Yes it is, at least in the United States.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Teens in puberty tend to make extreme decisions over minor problems.

The developing mind + hormones seem to be a bad combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Who says you need to "ban" it? Doubt that would even work.

What we need to do is make it socially unacceptable. We're getting there.

Schools lag behind, partly because of regressive parents and partly because children are assholes.
    No gay kid is going to feel better and more accepted at school because PC language is thrown around more often. There is a reason why suicide rates for Transsexuals is the same for pre-op and post-op. It is about an inner struggle to feel accepted, not the pressures of the outside on the individual.

Deleted
    Yes it is, at least in the United States.
    Lol no it isn't

Deleted
    No gay kid is going to feel better and more accepted at school because PC language is thrown around more often. There is a reason why suicide rates for Transsexuals is the same for pre-op and post-op. It is about an inner struggle to feel accepted, not the pressures of the outside on the individual.
    Let's not forget that, especially in large cities, there is also an increasing influence of anti-gay cultures thanks to all the immigrant groups.

I've seen this in a news program not too long ago as well. Certain schools in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague had a large number of Muslims from Morocco that basically spread the intolerance of "their" culture (third generation - still not integrated...) amongst the Dutch "native" kids. There isn an increase of anti-gay and anti-Jew views thanks to this.

Lol no it isn't
    In the United States, you cannot be arrested or detained for using certain words unless you are clearly harassing another individual.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's not forget that, especially in large cities, there is also an increasing influence of anti-gay cultures thanks to all the immigrant groups.

I've seen this in a news program not too long ago as well. Certain schools in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague had a large number of Muslims from Morocco that basically spread the intolerance of "their" culture (third generation - still not integrated...) amongst the Dutch "native" kids. There isn an increase of anti-gay and anti-Jew views thanks to this.
    I can't comment on Europe's situation but that is interesting.

Another retard who doesn't understand that 'Freedom of Speech' ONLY applies to the Government affecting what people can say about it.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-03-01 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheOriginal View Post
    Another retard who doesn't understand that 'Freedom of Speech' ONLY applies to the Government affecting what people can say about it.
    What are you even talking about? Thanks for the ad hominem though.

Deleted
    In the United States, you cannot be arrested or detained for using certain words unless you are clearly harassing another individual.
    You're aware you've just admitting Freedom of Speech has limits? If you're constantly calling a kid faggot that becomes harassment thus isn't protected

You're aware you've just admitting Freedom of Speech has limits? If you're constantly calling a kid faggot that becomes harassment thus isn't protected
    Yes but calling him anything would be harassment. It isn't the language that is being used that matters, it is the coercion on the individual that makes it harassment.

Deleted
    Yes but calling him anything would be harassment. It isn't the language that is being used that matters, it is the coercion on the individual that makes it harassment.
    Being called a faggot because he's gay is going to affect him more than being called a labrador