10+ Year Old Account

Fathers 750 dollar budget WoW build.

This is what ive put together.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card ($150.77 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($50.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($20.98 @ Newegg)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($32.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $630.68
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-01 12:59 EST-0500

The motherboard i was going to go with is here

I could not find a pcpartpicker link for that exact one. Budget is 750 dollars with 800 maybe possible. I would like to stick to just Amazon or Newegg for ordering to keep things simple. We do not live near a microcenter, and we do live in the US. I already have a keyboard/mouse/monitor picker out thats separate from the tower budget. He DOES need a wifi adapter where he lives/his house layout. He doesn't want to run an ethernet cable. I told him too, but hes stubborn.

Deleted
    I would just go with

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock B150M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($57.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($66.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card ($150.77 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($35.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.89 @ OutletPC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $656.47
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-01 13:26 EST-0500

No need to spend money on a Z170 mobo. There is room left to get a 960, but a 950 should be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    That looks good, only thing id worry about is tthe non existent reviews on that mobo, and prob get 2 4gig sticks of ram instead.

Deleted
    This can be an awesome itx build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($36.66 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 51.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($10.90 @ Newegg)
    Total: $795.26
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-01 14:14 EST-0500

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    That looks good, only thing id worry about is tthe non existent reviews on that mobo, and prob get 2 4gig sticks of ram instead.
    Stick to 1 ram stick with those mobo's that have only 2 ram slots. You want a free one for a potential +8gb ram upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's just for wow, an i3-6320 (@3.9) would serve better than any non-K CPU. An i3-6100 (@3.7)would also work and is significantly cheaper.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

What Chazus said. I modified Kost's ITX build. The GTX 960 is a non-starter these days. The 950 performs almost as well, and can be heavily OCed - but is quite a bit cheaper. If you want to step up, head for an R9 380/X.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HJLpqs
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HJLpqs/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-6320 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($36.66 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.57 @ Mac Mall)
    Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 51.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($10.90 @ Newegg)
    Total: $632.62
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-01 17:08 EST-0500

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    The GTX 960 is a non-starter these days. The 950 performs almost as well, and can be heavily OCed - but is quite a bit cheaper.
    I see this come up often. Its not! You compare a very high overclocked 950 to a stock 960. If you overclock or get a high overlocked 960 the 950 stays back of the bus again...its the same thing. Look at the gtx 960 i linked from evga, its a beasty card with that overlock. Look at it standing next to a 780 then think where the gtx950 is...

edit: and don't show me a high overlocked 950 next to a stock 960 benchmark as proof...
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2016-03-02 at 07:24 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am using the EVGA 960, and i can say it is a beastly card for the price.

Mine runs at 1442 mhz (out of the box) so i didnt OC it myself, and i wont take a look at OC-ing it anyway, because i currently run with a shitty CPU.
    On the topic of the performance:
    It really pushes the numbers i was looking for, and really happy with the card.
    GTA V / Shadow of Mordor it all runs above average for my CPU / GPU combo, so no complaints there.

I am not sure about the 950 and its performance overall, but for future use and maybe other games, i would go with a 960 instead of a 950, but i guess that is more a personal opinion in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Augusta138 View Post
    I am not sure about the 950 and its performance overall, but for future use and maybe other games, i would go with a 960 instead of a 950, but i guess that is more a personal opinion in the end.
    The point is being entirely missed here.

Its not about wether the 960 is a more powerful card than the 950. (It is, by about ~10% at similar clock speeds). Its about the fact that the 960 simply isnt ever a good choice.

If you want to save money and get VERY similar performance, get a 950, which is far cheaper and will perform (when overclocked, especially) within a few % of the 960; if you want to spend more/get more, then buy an R9 380, which is about the same price as the GTX 960, but faster and far more future proof.

That's the point.

The 960, at this time, is simply never worth buying. If you're going to spend that money on a GPU, the 380 is a far better choice. If you're going to go cheaper, the 950 provides similar performance for less.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The point is being entirely missed here.

Its not about wether the 960 is a more powerful card than the 950. (It is, by about ~10% at similar clock speeds). Its about the fact that the 960 simply isnt ever a good choice.
    That's why i said: i would go with a 960, that is an opinion / personal choice.
    You are not the one to decide or not if it is a good choice for people to buy. Budget / experience and other factors come into play.
    I used to rock AMD GPU's but after some years of bad experiences / warranty / card issues i decided to try team green.

If you want to save money and get VERY similar performance, get a 950, which is far cheaper and will perform (when overclocked, especially) within a few % of the 960; if you want to spend more/get more, then buy an R9 380, which is about the same price as the GTX 960, but faster and far more future proof.
    Both DX 12 support, Similar benchmarks on most games (with some gain on the 380, but 3/4 frames for 1 benchmark aint much)
    OCing a GPU is not everyone will do, so that is not a good point to decide whether or not the card is worth it, and you can also OC the 960.

That's the point.

The 960, at this time, is simply never worth buying. If you're going to spend that money on a GPU, the 380 is a far better choice. If you're going to go cheaper, the 950 provides similar performance for less.
    At the current moment, i wouldnt even consider upgrading and grabbing a expensive GPU (180+ range), since i wanna go Pascal later this year. (or polaris if it turns out to be good)

So overall, it is a bit of personal preference and the use for the card.

Deleted
    You are not the one to decide or not if it is a good choice for people to buy. Budget / experience and other factors come into play.
    I used to rock AMD GPU's but after some years of bad experiences / warranty / card issues i decided to try team green.
    Experience is nice and all, but we try to give unbiased advice. Looking at the numbers, the 380 is simply better than the 960.
    And if that is not enough, the 380x costs in the US only 20 bucks more than a 380...

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Experience is nice and all, but we try to give unbiased advice. Looking at the numbers, the 380 is simply better than the 960.
    And if that is not enough, the 380x costs in the US only 20 bucks more than a 380...
    It started out with a personal opinion about why i would go with a 960, because Kosta did recommend it in the built.
    So i simply stated that i am very happy with the card and how it performs given the price.

And given my experience i would recommend getting a 960, as linked in Kosta's build.

The R9 380, is faster.
    But overall, i am not impressed by it. Benchmarks barely show anything special in terms of performance.
    The TDP is higher.

The TDP is higher.
    Do I have to bring out the calculator again to remind people how irrelevant this is? Which is even more irrelevant because it's 278w for GTX 960 and 284 for R9 380...
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2016-03-02 at 06:21 PM.

Both DX 12 support, Similar benchmarks on most games (with some gain on the 380, but 3/4 frames for 1 benchmark aint much)
    OCing a GPU is not everyone will do, so that is not a good point to decide whether or not the card is worth it, and you can also OC the 960.

At the current moment, i wouldnt even consider upgrading and grabbing a expensive GPU (180+ range), since i wanna go Pascal later this year. (or polaris if it turns out to be good)

So overall, it is a bit of personal preference and the use for the card.
    Your experience is anecdotal. For every person that says they had a bad time with an AMD I can find one that had a problem with nVidia, so your experience means nothing.

Also, while they both partially support DX12, the AMD cards currently support the features that are supported better. Namely, ASync Compute. AMD cards can do this at the hardware level, nVidia cards can not and may not even have this support in Pascal. They can emulate it with software, but it's simply not the same thing. Just look at the Ashes of Singularity DX12 benchmarks out there. Sure, they can both play the game, but due to the utilization of ASync Compute, the AMD cards are beating the nVidia cards pretty handily. As more game come out that use the ASync compute feature of DX12, nVidia will fall behind.

I own 2 960s, bought them when it first came out, one for me and one for the wife. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten 380s. They are clearly the better choice in that price range, If you want to spend less though, the 950 is a great choice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Do I have to bring out the calculator again to remind people how irrelevant this is? Which is even more irrelevant because it's 278w for GTX 960 and 284 for R9 380...
    Uhh... What planet are you on that the TDP of the 960 is 278 watts?

.....its 120w.

Not that i disagree with the sentiment that TDP isnt super relevant, but get your facts straight, at least.

.....its 120w.

Not that i disagree with the sentiment that TDP isnt super relevant, but get your facts straight, at least.
    Sorry, I guess I should've been more precise for newcomers: That's system-wide power consumption. Aka literally only thing that matters. There. Straightened. I also like the fact that you don't even contemplate whether or not the R9 380 one is wrong, too, because... reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Sorry, I guess I should've been more precise for newcomers: That's system-wide power consumption. Aka literally only thing that matters. There. Straightened. I also like the fact that you don't even contemplate whether or not the R9 380 one is wrong, too, because... reasons?
    ... Nice attempt at moving goalpost. As to why i didnt look up the 380? I dont care. The R9 series has a higher TDP.

Enjoy ignore though. That wonderful arrogant tude earned it.

... Nice attempt at moving goalpost. As to why i didnt look up the 380? I dont care. The R9 series has a higher TDP.

Enjoy ignore though. That wonderful arrogant tude earned it.
    Nice attempt at what? Did you even click the link? Those exact numbers are literally right there in the link. Literally right there under "Total system wattage - Furmark". Those two exact numbers. You think I just named those off the top of my head or something?

Get your facts straight.

Deleted

.....its 120w.
    TDP is useless. Both cards go over that. Plus it is probably completely different calculated by Nvidia and AMD.

But yeah, power usage is lower on the 960.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    TDP is useless. Both cards go over that. Plus it is probably completely different calculated by Nvidia and AMD.

But yeah, power usage is lower on the 960.
    But Nvidia makes the CPU load higher which increases the power usage of the CPU.

Honestly, just look at the total system instead of looking at cards. It makes 10x more sense.