Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    DT is Kings magnum opus. It's a huge story and the core universe of almost all of Kings books. Definitely worth the read.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. I mean, DT is long, sure, but it's pretty mediocre compared to his other books. Frankly, I blame the van accident for him rushing the final three books.

Best King Books (note: I haven't read everything he's written in the last few years)
    ------------------
    Needful Things
    Shining
    The Stand
    Desperation
    Stationary Bike (novella)
    Misery
    Green Mile
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Eh, I'm not so sure about that. I mean, DT is long, sure, but it's pretty mediocre compared to his other books. Frankly, I blame the van accident for him rushing the final three books.

Best King Books (note: I haven't read everything he's written in the last few years)
    ------------------
    Needful Things
    Shining
    The Stand
    Desperation
    Stationary Bike (novella)
    Misery
    Green Mile
    I thought DT had great pacing. I agree that the accident did change his style.

About the only story I didn't like of his was 11-22-63. Holy crap that was wordy and drawn out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well. There goes my hype.

DT is one of my favourite book series of all time, but when I disagree with the casting of two of the main characters, I start to worry.

I'm sure Idris will be fantastic, based on everything I've seen him in, but he'll never be my Roland.

And Matty boy as Flagg? Urg, no.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Idris Elba is a good choice im never one for race changing like Will smith being in Suicide Squad 'movies going to bomb for other reasons but including him'. But this guy is actually a good actor who should do fine.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Calling it right now: Susanna Dean will be an amputee, but she will be getting prosthetic legs for the movie. I just don't see Hollywood having the balls to actually have a main character stuck in a wheelchair in this kind of movie.

Bookmark this thread right here because its going to happen.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    I do agree that Stephen King has written better stuff than DT. The first books were far better than the later ones (yes , prolly to accident, as everyone else mentioned already). The flashback book (3rd in series? can't remember) and the ones with lore on the DT universe are far better than the ones integrating himself in the story. Ending was also kinda expected....

Like most people after one read through, I liked book IV the most. Now having gone through it multiple times (audio books) I can say book I, II, and III are my favorite.

Wind Through the Keyhole (book 4.5) would rank as my least favorite. I wanted a book more about the DK world, not some story within a story bullshit. Having Flagg (the tax collector) as a cameo didn't save it.

Also the fact that SK read the audiobook version himself it was cringe worthy (his voice is flat and monotone).
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-03-02 at 12:09 AM.

As much as I like Idras Elba, this will literally make me not go see the movie. I mean who needs source material if you are just going to ignore it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Lets no forget a big core of Susanna Dean and Roland's interactions are because she is a black woman and he is a white man.

Well bloops, ok then...

I suspect this is why they are "skipping to the middle" - because that would be completely impossible as Book II, the entire book this is a big theme.

Are there any key areas to the character or story for him being white? I'm ok with changing race types if its not an important aspect of the character which it can be in some cases. If it doesn't then I just hope it goes to the best actor and I'm sure Idris will do a good job. Hes one of the better working actors atm

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Are there any key areas to the character or story for him being white? I'm ok with changing race types if its not an important aspect of the character which it can be in some cases. If it doesn't then I just hope it goes to the best actor and I'm sure Idris will do a good job. Hes one of the better working actors atm
    Yes, the entire second book and then it is a continued theme through the rest of the series between two main characters.

Not to mention Roland comes from a royal family line from the a place called Gilead. I wonder if they are going to magically make everyone there black all of a sudden in flashbacks.

Edit: Honestly this is as bad as if they cast Harry Potter as a black kid in the movies.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-03-02 at 12:16 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Honestly this is as bad as if they cast Harry Potter as a black kid in the movies.
    How about a LotR remake (I mean come on, it's been a whole 15 years already), with a black Gandalf and an Asian Legolas?

Oh, and Frodo is a girl. And has a romantic relationship with Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    How about a LotR remake (I mean come on, it's been a whole 15 years already), with a black Gandalf and an Asian Legolas?

Wait Frodo and Sam didnt have a romantic relationship?

On point they are going to have to change large parts of the intro story, and the whole scene with the Ka tet and King where Eddie and company point out Roland looks like he is related to King.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2016-03-02 at 12:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

You know who Idris would be a perfect role for?

Speedy Parker of the Territories. For those who have read SK's The Talisman and its sequel Black House you know who.

The character is quite literally a black man who is a gunslinger

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

Well Gandalf is a Wizard, and Legolas is an Elf and frodo is a hobbit. So unless you have some of those laying around....

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the entire second book and then it is a continued theme through the rest of the series between two main characters.

Not to mention Roland comes from a royal family line from the a place called Gilead. I wonder if they are going to magically make everyone there black all of a sudden in flashbacks.

Edit: Honestly this is as bad as if they cast Harry Potter as a black kid in the movies.
    Whats in the 2nd book that he needs to be white? So continued theme between a black woman and a white man? She doesnt trust him because hes white? I'm not trying to argue for argue stake, I'm interested what aspects of the story being white is important.

As for Royal Bloodlines, one person being black doesn't mean the entire royal bloodline needs to be black.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i can't help but think hollywood is pushing an agenda with these race changes though.

black guy fighting against evil white villains, seems like they're trying to say something.
    Careful, Endus might come for you for simply implying that there's something wrong with that.

We have to be incloosive, guys. It's the current year, guys.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29...ew-mcconaughey

And off we go...

Not sure how I feel about this.

Awesome actor, but casting a black man in what is clearly a white guys role is uh... bizarre.

Edit: Also...

Ugh...
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    fucking stupid. a fine actor, but not the right actor to play a white guy.

he should look like clint eastwood, or the guy in your avatar even.

I'll take Stephen King's opinion over everyone else's, thanks.

and if said anything differently, the news headlines would be "author stephen king racist? more likely than you might think...."

Personally I find the "outrage" over changing characters race or hair color. Kinda ridiculous. You don't know what type of the film the director is trying to make and who wants a direct remake anyway, You want new ideas and fresh insight. I don't see how hiring a black man to play a white man. Or hiring a blonde instead of a ginger makes a massive difference. Unless as I said there is a direct reason they are a race or hair style or eye whatever.