Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well, after reading all the info on a movie, I can say only one thing for sure: I won't watch it. Books were one of the best stories I've ever read in my life, and for sure I don't want to shit over the memories which that genious books bring by watching black roland with no Ka-Tet. Thank you Hollywood, I guess.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    If it was meant to be a book of short stories, why wasn't it written as such? If he'd done it as Roland and the Ka-Tet sitting around the fire sharing stories it might have worked...

But having Roland tell a story about himself telling a story was a very bad idea.

Not to mention the most important part: all three stories were dull and added nothing to the overall arc of the Dark Tower. If it hadn't been Roland as the lead, they could easily have been a separate entity.
    I think the problem is your expectations were just not met with the addition of another book under the Dark Tower name.

As I stated, it was just suppose to be a filler book in the Dark Tower world, not actually provide anything to the main arc of the story. He wanted to dabble back in the world of the Dark Tower so this is what we got.

For the record, it is my least favorite Dark Tower book, but that is not the same thing as saying it was terrible reading material.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I think the problem is your expectations were just not met with the addition of another book under the Dark Tower name.
    Pretty much, yeah. He's shown time and again that he's willing to work a little Dark Tower lore into other books, so I don't see why this one was labelled a Dark Tower novel, when it really has no connection to the story. He got a lot of people hopes up, then dashed them.

Also, on a more simplistic level, I just felt it was a really boring, predictable story. Honestly didn't think it was worthy of publication.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Pretty much, yeah. He's shown time and again that he's willing to work a little Dark Tower lore into other books, so I don't see why this one was labelled a Dark Tower novel, when it really has no connection to the story. He got a lot of people hopes up, then dashed them.

Also, on a more simplistic level, I just felt it was a really boring, predictable story. Honestly didn't think it was worthy of publication.
    Well, there's the old adage that you could publish Stephen King's grocery list and it would be a NY Times Bestseller, so I think lots of people probably thought it worthy of publication. I haven't read it myself, but if it isn't up to the quality of the series, I might imagine his publisher pushing for something to keep the series in people's minds while they pushed for this movie.

Now, the movie can drive the hype train, so to speak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah pretty much. I think family guy summed it up best:

https://youtu.be/tMZONL8x8NE

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

lets be honest. not all of the dark tower is great to begin with.

i mean. the crimson king was built up as this ultimate badarse and he ended up being santa clause who choked on a spoon and threw snitches from harry potter and then he got beaten because some fuckwit painted him and turned him into eyeballs

- - - Updated - - -

and then flagg got eaten by a god damn spider jesus
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha I actually had a very similar discussion with someone else.

Basically the last book is a giant clusterfuck, up until the end, which is great.

The Crimson King gets shat on pretty hard, as does Flagg and to a lesser extent Mordred. However Susanna's send off, then Roland's Approach to the tower and ascent are all pretty fucking solid.

Still Worlds better than Wind though. I've yet to meet anyone who genuinely enjoyed that book.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    what is going to ruin the movie for people who have actually read the books is the straight butchering job that is apparently happening to the story.
    What are they changing?

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    What are they changing?
    So many things to list, take a moment to read back through the thread its not that long.

Biggest ones so far are no Eddie and no Suze yet they are jumping ahead to the middle of the series.

It also appears Oy has been replaced as Jake's best buddy by another human child that was an extremely minor character in the books.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha I actually had a very similar discussion with someone else.

Basically the last book is a giant clusterfuck, up until the end, which is great.

The Crimson King gets shat on pretty hard, as does Flagg and to a lesser extent Mordred. However Susanna's send off, then Roland's Approach to the tower and ascent are all pretty fucking solid.

Still Worlds better than Wind though. I've yet to meet anyone who genuinely enjoyed that book.
    Well my only defense is I listened to WTTK as an audiobook. I only bought the hardback because I have all of them in original hardbacks, so its part of the collection regardless if it was good or not.

I will say it sucked that SK himself narrated the audio version, SK has the most monotone voice ever and there is no attempt to alter his voice for different characters. Its a shame Frank Muller died as he did a majority of the other ones and he was just flat awesome. Not sure why they didn't attempt to have George Guidel (or whatever his name is) step in, as the did the 1st book and the last book and he was a good narrator too.

If you haven't listened to the audiobook versions of the DT, I highly suggest it, I liked it a lot more than reading. Frank M nailed the voice for what I imagined Eddie as, Roland was good too, Jake as well, and even Suze was good (though he is male). He also does a great job with other characters like the Tick Tock King, Gnasher, Calahan and so forth.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-06-01 at 02:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I DO like audio books. Are they as sturdily expensive as the HP ones?

Anyone else seen anything new recently?

Last stuff I can find is still from May.

Elba and Mconoghey on set in NY

https://instagram.com/p/BHXq9pBAehh/

And

https://instagram.com/p/BHVWNxRBld2/

Maybe a kind soul could rip those to display the image. I'm retarded and not sure how to do it from my phone.

First off I'm skeptical as fuck about how this will turn out, but I think the photos so far are pretty damn good.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a fan of either pic tbh... Why is Roland dressed like a Sci Fi riot cop? Wtf is with that belted up vest and a fucking trench coat?

Faded jeans and a worn out shirt please. Is is supposed to be a guy that's just spent an untold time trekking through the desert.

As for Flagg... I can't fucking STAND Mathew McConaughey.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Elba and Mconoghey on set in NY

https://instagram.com/p/BHXq9pBAehh/

And

https://instagram.com/p/BHVWNxRBld2/

Maybe a kind soul could rip those to display the image. I'm retarded and not sure how to do it from my phone.
    Here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by InventiveMeasures View Post
    Here you go.
    You are amazing! Thanks!

Not a fan of either pic tbh... Why is Roland dressed like a Sci Fi riot cop? Wtf is with that belted up vest and a fucking trench coat?

Faded jeans and a worn out shirt please. Is is supposed to be a guy that's just spent an untold time trekking through the desert.

As for Flagg... I can't fucking STAND Mathew McConaughey.
    looks alot like roland to me..

"so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    That picture is way better, he looks a bit more... Worn.

In the picture I commented on he looked way to shiny and clean. Hopefully that'll be from a flashback or something.

well in the picture i posted he was in his world (probably, otherwise why greenscreen) in these new ones hes in new york

he's black, big deal, now if you can't imagine that as a possibility then something is wrong.

is he being black make you feel you can't relate to him because his skin pigmentation is much darker than yours? what if it was a white woman playing the role, would you have such an issue?

I wonder if this is like some weird USA messed up skin-colour issue, it sounds like people are a bit too skin colour conscious/sensitive. Really it shouldn't make a difference right? You're talking about another male human right, not a different race or a different species, I mean, seriously?. Made a topic on Black High Elves - I was quite shocked with all the hood, grand theft, and other such "jokes" and startled at the complete lack of nearly 100% of the responders unable to wrap their head round the possibility of a high elf being black - especially given that an equal but opposite group the night elf had lots of black skinned elves, especially in the nightborne group.

interesting. I read the first 2 pages of this, really surprised
    Last edited by Beloren; 2016-07-04 at 12:42 AM.